View Poll Results: Where do you fit on the belief scale?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.

71 74.74%
  • De-facto Theist: I can't know for sure but I believe and I live on the assumption that he's there.

10 10.53%
  • Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.

5 5.26%
  • Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.

2 2.11%
  • Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.

1 1.05%
  • De-facto Atheist: I can't know for sure but it's very improbable and I live under that assumption.

6 6.32%
  • Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Belief Scale

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: The Belief Scale

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    So motion comes from energy and the energy comes from motion? Still no accounting for motion.
    Kinetic energy and motion are the same thing, KE is just the measurement of the energy of motion. Not all energy is motion, e.g., potential energy. Gravitational potential energy can produce motion.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Kinetic energy. Wouldn't any eternal god also possess energy? If so, where did that energy come from?

You still didn't answer the question. Where did this kinetic energy come from, did it just magically appear out of thin air oh wait there wasn't any air either. I have no idea where God came from, but I do believe that all the energy in the universe is directly attributable to God, or even more so that all the energy in the universe IS God.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    You still didn't answer the question. Where did this kinetic energy come from, did it just magically appear out of thin air oh wait there wasn't any air either. I have no idea where God came from, but I do believe that all the energy in the universe is directly attributable to God, or even more so that all the energy in the universe IS God.
    If energy = God, and God = eternal, then you are saying that energy is eternal. If so where did it come from? I don't see how "God" answers the question at all. Seems like it walks you back into the same question. If Existence and God describe the same thing, the only question is what makes God different from Existence. The only difference, I bet, is that concept of God personifies Existence, and in doing so attributes the quality of a consciousness on all that exists. That step makes no sense to me.

But your question "where did kinetic energy come from".... Assuming that kinetic energy itself has not always existed, it may have come from potential energy (bond energy, gravitational potential, etc.)
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

If energy = God, and God = eternal, then you are saying that energy is eternal. If so where did it come from? I don't see how "God" answers the question at all. Seems like it walks you back into the same question. If Existence and God describe the same thing, the only question is what makes God different from Existence. The only difference, I bet, is that concept of God personifies Existence, and in doing so attributes the quality of a consciousness on all that exists. That step makes no sense to me.

But your question "where did kinetic energy come from".... Assuming that kinetic energy itself has not always existed, it may have come from potential energy (bond energy, gravitational potential, etc.)

But you are not answering my question just continuing to debate my assertion that God exists. You are not defending your position that all these energies and potential energies and matter sprang up out of nothing. Forget God for a minute and explain that one to me.

But you are not answering my question just continuing to debate my assertion that God exists. You are not defending your position that all these energies and potential energies and matter sprang up out of nothing. Forget God for a minute and explain that one to me.
    Many of these energies are inherent to things. If an object has mass, it has potential energy in various forms - gravitational potential, chemical bond energy, etc. If the object moves it also has kinetic energy, but as you know gravitational energy, alone, is enough to create motion (kinetic energy).

Many of these energies are inherent to things. If an object has mass, it has potential energy in various forms - gravitational potential, chemical bond energy, etc. If the object moves it also has kinetic energy, but as you know gravitational energy, alone, is enough to create motion (kinetic energy).
    But you still do not explain where these things come from? What created this mass, energy, etc? Where did this mystical object that has so many wonderful properties come from? It just is and always has been?

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.'Albert Einstein

It just is and always has been?
    Yes.

Yes.
    Well how convenient, that sounds an aweful lot like how I have heard God describe. God has always existed and always will, just like the universe.

Well how convenient, that sounds an aweful lot like how I have heard God describe. God has always existed and always will, just like the universe.
    Convenient meaning "inarguable"?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Inarguable? Maybe. Untestable? Definitely. I think this sticks in the craw of some because all we hear about is why religion is non-scientific because it's claims can't be tested. Then, we hear that the best science has to offer as to why there is motion or where we (not we as a species, but we as a things that are living) came from is also untestable.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not necessarily compelled to believe that the universe has always been.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Inarguable? Maybe. Untestable? Definitely. I think this sticks in the craw of some because all we hear about is why religion is non-scientific because it's claims can't be tested. Then, we hear that the best science has to offer as to why there is motion or where we (not we as a species, but we as a things that are living) came from is also untestable.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not necessarily compelled to believe that the universe has always been.
    That's pretty much what I was getting to, and to be clear I love science. I find a beauty in the complexity of the universe.

Varsity Bulldog RustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really niceRustonNative is just really nice

Well, for the questions that science is unable to answer, scientists "show their hand" by calling on "theories". This is a term used to describe a mechanism or concept that isn't absolutely proven, but has some testable evidence to it, at least in part.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    Well, for the questions that science is unable to answer
    I understand theories. My issue is that, if the question is unaswerable from a scientific standpoint, why is science weighing in at all? The answer is that much of popular science has adopted a form of philosophical naturalism. That's fine, but don't attempt to pass it off as science.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem with this argument is that you can never really argue it to a conclusion. Those who believe solely in Ccience or Christianity will believe solely in Science or Christianity no matter what evidence, theories, or alternate beliefs you throw at them. It is their religion. There are those who have jumped ship and swam to the other boat. Once on that boat, they very often will adopt the one sided beliefs on that boat. There really is not point in arguing about this topic. The best thing to do is to present your side and let everyone make their choice.

IMO, I think the more you have to explain it away, the less I want to believe anyway. Present your info, but don't tell me that believing my way is right, wrong, sound, or stupid. Okay, diving off the soapbox......back to you guys.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RustonNative View Post
    Well, for the questions that science is unable to answer, scientists "show their hand" by calling on "theories". This is a term used to describe a mechanism or concept that isn't absolutely proven, but has some testable evidence to it, at least in part.

There will probably be a break through before too long, but likely in the questions dealing with how final is death.

+ Reply to Thread