View Poll Results: Where do you fit on the belief scale?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.

71 74.74%
  • De-facto Theist: I can't know for sure but I believe and I live on the assumption that he's there.

10 10.53%
  • Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.

5 5.26%
  • Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.

2 2.11%
  • Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.

1 1.05%
  • De-facto Atheist: I can't know for sure but it's very improbable and I live under that assumption.

6 6.32%
  • Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Belief Scale

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Re: The Belief Scale

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Not saying the child was coached. Just that the child heard someone tell the story before and remembered it.

And now we are back to whether there is some part of yourself that survives a physical death.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    And now we are back to whether there is some part of yourself that survives a physical death.
    I think we are misunderstanding each other. I am suggesting that the child overheard a conversation between two other people or some other human being told the child the story.

I don't see what the child has to do with the question.

What you associate as "yourself" is the state of "consciousness" and it is completely biological. It is the thing that creates the illusion of a first-person, subjective experience. The reason I say it is an "illusion" is because we have adapted to imagine/believe there is a single discrete "I" or "identity" which orchestrates our voluntary actions. It is a helpful evolutionary adaptation, but it does not accurately describe what is really going on in your brain. Consciousness does cease at death (and at other times in life), and, with it, the illusion of your person in control of your voluntary actions.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I am suggesting that the child overheard a conversation between two other people or some other human being told the child the story.

I don't see what the child has to do with the question.

What you associate as "yourself" is the state of "consciousness" and it is completely biological. It is the thing that creates the illusion of a first-person, subjective experience. The reason I say it is an "illusion" is because we have adapted to imagine/believe there is a single discrete "I" or "identity" which orchestrates our voluntary actions. It is a helpful evolutionary adaptation, but it does not accurately describe what is really going on in your brain. Consciousness does cease at death (and at other times in life), and, with it, the illusion of your person in control of your voluntary actions.

Yep, I think we are too. I see what the child could have to do with the question and I know what the mother was wondering (whether her child had lived before) but I can’t remember enough of the details to pass along an iron-clad case that life goes on (after death) whether we like it or believe it or not. I need to ponder your last paragraph a bit, but thanks for adding it.

Here’s an article from a philosophy professor you’ve probably already read, but if not it may contain something helpful in sorting some of this stuff out. Caution: this professor is not an atheist (Boston College no less).

http://www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth28.html

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    Here’s an article from a philosophy professor you’ve probably already read, but if not it may contain something helpful in sorting some of this stuff out. Caution: this professor is not an atheist (Boston College no less).

http://www.leaderu.com/truth/1truth28.html
    Bad philosophers sometimes make gross epistemological errors when they discuss quasi-scientific aspects of philosophy, such as "consciousness" and "energy." This guy is no exception. Before discussing any possible "physical" aspects of consciousness, a modern philosopher worth his salt should, at a minimum, review the last 40 years of research in the field of neuroscience, particularly cognitive neuroscience. This guy is supposed to be an educator, after all.

Also, his argument accepts far too many things as a priori without even acknowledging the obvious rebuttal.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

I think you hit the nail on the head. The heart of the matter is that people want to believe there is a payoff. That is why religion is so pervasive.

Well Guiss, I reckon for guys like us, it probably does take a personal event or two to shake us enough to consider the notion that there’s something else going on out there. While a belief in a payoff is not the heart of the matter, hang on to that thought a while, it may prove to be useful if you’re hit by an event.

+ Reply to Thread