+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two days!

Puppy how_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nicehow_bout_them_dawgs is just really nice

Two days!

Late last night I was watching a rerun on espnu of the 2008 Texas - Oklahoma game. As both teams moved up and down the field I took notice of the great traditions and atmosphere of the game. This in turn made made me think of the traditions of LSU and their game atmosphere. As a child growing up in central Louisiana, I went to many LSU games and dreamed of attending it one day. However, during my Senior year of high I visited a sister at tech and fell in love with the university that I now call home. While DD has lengthy list of accomplishments at LaTech, I ask this. What are some ways we can help to improve our gameday experience? LaTech has a long way to go to reach a big gameday atmosphere, but I believe its achievable.

Generating more interest among Tech students is a must. At first glance of this year's schedule I noticed two televised games during the week and no games during quarter break. This is the year for Tech to push football to the students. Tech (I'm talking about administration) has to generate excitement and hype up the games during game week.

The second thing that could be improved is our band. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about a professional look. I know it is hot in September, but last year on ESPN against MSU our band had polo's and khakis on. Why? Maybe someone else can offer an explaination. I also wish we could have more fan based chants and songs. Any other ideas? I realize Tech has made leaps and bounds of progress. I just hope we continue that drive and don't get complacent. Any other ideas to improve our atmosphere? Sorry for the length and GO DAWGS.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Re: Two days!

Show up.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

A fan friendly schedule, and one that generates additional fan interest is developing. Navy will bring their cadets in full dress to Ruston next year and S. Miss. will visit as well. Another unannounced SEC school will be coming to Ruston in the near future as well. The new 'tron will dramatically change game day as well, and the new lake will greatly enhance the tailgating experience. Then add to that a remodeled press box, a new fieldhouse, tv's under the stadium, improved stadium entrances and a new parking lot and the stadium itself will become an exciting destination. The band certainly needs a bigger budget to increase its size and the variety of ways that it can add to the gameday experience. An increase in student fees needs to be a part of that funding. As for the team, it must continue to improve and to win. Nothing improves fan loyalty like winning! Finally, students have to take charge of their own game day experience and establish their own traditions. Enlist sororities, fraternities and other school organizations to develop cheers and chants and work on them with the cheerleaders; maybe at mid-week yell rallies or some other such venue. Gather ideas about what game day experiences excite the students and appoint a representative to discuss with Mr. Vandervelde how those ideas might be implemented. If you want it, make it happen!
    Last edited by LookingForResults; 09-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Big Dog westdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the roughwestdawg is a jewel in the rough

The second thing that could be improved is our band. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about a professional look. I know it is hot in September, but last year on ESPN against MSU our band had polo's and khakis on. Why?

A few years ago they decided to wear the nice new uniforms they now wear. Some of the band members overheated and they apparently decided that wearing big hot uniforms was not a good idea when it is still above 70 degrees.

This is all from my own observation though. I was never in the band.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westdawg View Post
    The second thing that could be improved is our band. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about a professional look. I know it is hot in September, but last year on ESPN against MSU our band had polo's and khakis on. Why?

A few years ago they decided to wear the nice new uniforms they now wear. Some of the band members overheated and they apparently decided that wearing big hot uniforms was not a good idea when it is still above 70 degrees.

This is all from my own observation though. I was never in the band.
    I hope they are in full uniforms. The game is at night.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Mass amounts of people would be the best way to improve atmosphere even further. The tailgating is much improved already.

Think how fun the Ibowl was with such a packed crowd. The excitement is contagious. When closely packed you are more likely to cheer along.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Show up.
    And bring all your friends, and tell them to bring theirs.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Some of "us" cheer & holler loudly while on defense so let's pick it up a notch. Everybody stands & yells on every defensive 3rd down. If this catches on then we can slowly get everyone else to also do this on 2nd down & before long we are all standing & yelling when every time Tech is on "D." This would become contagious. The folks that will not stand & yell will then be the minority & will want to get involved. We just guilt them into being involved.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by how_bout_them_dawgs View Post
    What are some ways we can help to improve our gameday experience? LaTech has a long way to go to reach a big gameday atmosphere, but I believe its achievable.
    The new Jumbotron is gonna help allot.

Stringing together a bunch of 9 or 10 win seasons won't hurt either. After all the bad W-L records we've compiled in this decade, I'm amazed that we still have a fan base at all.

HD

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

The second thing that could be improved is our band. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about a professional look. I know it is hot in September, but last year on ESPN against MSU our band had polo's and khakis on. Why? Maybe someone else can offer an explaination. I also wish we could have more fan based chants and songs.

The uniforms were blamed on budget issues, they didn't have enough money to clean them before the MSU game or after every game; something like that the story changed depending on who I talked to. As a BOP alum I wasn't to happy with it and I know alot of my other BOP alumnus buddies were not happy either. As for the songs selection the band plays quite a few songs that have words/chants; I remember every year Robken trying his hardest at pep rally's and games to get fans involved. One thing Robken knows is that fan involvement can make or break game's and he's constantly looking for new things for to try to get fans excited.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Full uniforms are a must. It is part of the pageantry of college football. It also sends a strong message to the fans that the game is a big deal.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

I was in high school band for 4 years in South Louisiana.

We did not fully dress every game for August.

But, Tech is different. Its a bigger atmosphere.

Still, if you insist on not wearing them, regulate it a little bit. Seeing 10 different types of khaki color is not professional looking. Mandate certain colors or styles, or just have the band members pay 25 bucks, and buy them the same thing. What looked ugly was the mix and match ordeal. No Shorts.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

We dressed fully down in Southeast Texas, and so did the bands in the Miss-Lou area, so I don't buy the weather bullcrap as an excuse. It's as simple as that really: there IS no excuse. We need to support our awesome band more so that they can wear their nice uniforms for every game. It's simply just flat-out bush league for them not to.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

The second thing that could be improved is our band. I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about a professional look. I know it is hot in September, but last year on ESPN against MSU our band had polo's and khakis on. Why? Maybe someone else can offer an explaination.
    Adding on to what GermDawg said, the reason we stopped wearing full uniforms during the first game of the year was due to the sept 6 game against Nevada several years back when we had 28 band members overheat and had to have medical attention. I will be the first to admit that most of those who overheated were out of shape and probably did not hydrate properly.--Even though Robken and the other directors warned us every day for 2 weeks to hydrate. Because of this, i believe the reason to not were full uniforms is not JRobs decision. Im pretty sure that DR told him to institute a "summer uniform". I, too, never liked the mismatched khakis and faded polos.

Robken tries so hard to get the fans involved in cheers--yes i know that some of them are corny, but he's trying. If anyone has any suggestions for cheers/chants, send him an email or call him. He always likes good ideas.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Adding on to what GermDawg said, the reason we stopped wearing full uniforms during the first game of the year was due to the sept 6 game against Nevada several years back when we had 28 band members overheat and had to have medical attention. I will be the first to admit that most of those who overheated were out of shape and probably did not hydrate properly.--Even though Robken and the other directors warned us every day for 2 weeks to hydrate. Because of this, i believe the reason to not were full uniforms is not JRobs decision. Im pretty sure that DR told him to institute a "summer uniform". I, too, never liked the mismatched khakis and faded polos.

Robken tries so hard to get the fans involved in cheers--yes i know that some of them are corny, but he's trying. If anyone has any suggestions for cheers/chants, send him an email or call him. He always likes good ideas.
    I remember hydrating myself really good the night before game day...at Rabb's .

+ Reply to Thread