+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking a Pig ?????

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Cooking a Pig ?????

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    The first thing I saw after clicking on that link was LSU. So now you have heard the first bad words about them.

I agree - the brinkman is the best, but this thing won't fit in there like it is. I have almost decided I'm going to have to cut it at least in half. I was thinking of using Mrs.Chipdog's method for cooking brisket's in the oven for part of it: large pan, bottle of liquid smoke, equal amount of worchestershire sauce, cut up onions, cut up garlic, cover with foil, 230 degrees for 8 hours. Will that work? She is no help at all because apparently this is a real animal whereas I guess sausage and bacon somehow are not.

Considering they're from Breaux Bridge, what do you expect? Oh, wait. That's basically right outside Lafayette's city limits. I thought that whole area was sold on ULL.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

After cleaning out the pig, stuff the belly with your favorite herbs and spices. Salt and pepper the outside while roasting. Drink plenty of beer during the cooking process.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post

After cleaning out the pig, stuff the belly with your favorite herbs and spices. Salt and pepper the outside while roasting. Drink plenty of beer during the cooking process.
    You like some herbs don't you?

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    You like some herbs don't you?
    You betcha!

Was in a bookstore the other day and saw an interesting book. Something about cooking was responsible for human civilization.

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Considering they're from Breaux Bridge, what do you expect? Oh, wait. That's basically right outside Lafayette's city limits. I thought that whole area was sold on ULL.
    Like it or not - let's face it, those Cajuns know how to cook and eat :icon_wink:

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Everyone had great ideas, but like yours Salty - way too much work involved for me. I decided to cut/saw it into pieces and put it into 2 big aluminum pans and cook it in the oven. I places the parts in two pans and quartered 6 onions an placed them around and on the meat. I poured BBQ sauce all over and between the parts, I put about 1 inch of worchestershire sauce in each pan, I sprincled garlic powder over and between all the parts, then I covered them with foil and sealed the edges. Then I put it all in the oven at 250 degrees. What do you think about the temp, and time - how long 8, 9, 10.... hours?

P.S. I like the picture Salty. Could we dig a pit like that on the hill by the TAC and do that? How many pigs would we need to feed a bunch of us?

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

how much did this pig weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    how much did this pig weigh?
    I guess about 30 pounds

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

I guess about 30 pounds
    we could have gotten that in a brinkman (would have taken two series).......at 250 I would go 6 hours...the sauce is going to give you problems if you used tomato based....you better have more on standby in case the sauce starts getting too thick.

After six hours you need to put it in containers without all that sauce so that the skin can crisp up......another 90 - 120 minutes should get it.....then put sauce + some honey on the inside (non skin side) the last 20...

.....drink beer

we could have gotten that in a brinkman (would have taken two series).......at 250 I would go 6 hours...the sauce is going to give you problems if you used tomato based....you better have more on standby in case the sauce starts getting too thick.

After six hours you need to put it in containers without all that sauce so that the skin can crisp up......another 90 - 120 minutes should get it.....then put sauce + some honey on the inside (non skin side) the last 20...

.....drink beer
    Are you saying remove the foil after 6 hours and then cook some more?

Are you saying remove the foil after 6 hours and then cook some more?
    no....I would put it in new cooking pans that have NO sause in it whatsoever......then I would wrap each cut in foil.....or make sure the foil over the top of the pan is tight.....the last 20 or so can go uncovered.

I think you are going to be surprised how much grease is going to pool at the bottom of those pans in 6 hours.....plus, you are going to have to use more bbq sauce to keep your original application from going dry...

no....I would put it in new cooking pans that have NO sause in it whatsoever......then I would wrap each cut in foil.....or make sure the foil over the top of the pan is tight.....the last 20 or so can go uncovered.

I think you are going to be surprised how much grease is going to pool at the bottom of those pans in 6 hours.....plus, you are going to have to use more bbq sauce to keep your original application from going dry...
    I'll drain the fat at 6 hours and change out the pans. I am thinking about how much fat is generated when i do this with a brisket and I suddenly understand what you are saying. Pork will make even more fat i guess.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Where is you tailgate spot again?:icon_wink:

I took it all out of the oven after 9.5 total hours. I drained off all liquid and then refrigerated it. When we got home from the big game last night, me and Chip Jr pulled off all of the meat and stored it in the fridge.

Any suggestions what to do now?

+ Reply to Thread