+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes you a racist

Champ buck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to behold

What makes you a racist

Urban dictionary:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racist

Websters Dictionary:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racist

Not my quote

"Many racist people claim that their "race" or culture is superior to others. It might sound a bit strange, but often this belief in superiority is actually caused by fear or even the feeling of inferiority. In order to reassure themselves, many people imagine that they are superior to who they are afraid of, so that they don’t have to be afraid anymore."

Is it fear or pride..? Is having too much pride racist..?

http://www.antiracistparent.com/2009...-or-to-be-one/

"Our image of a person who holds prejudiced beliefs is cartoonish. If racism to most Americans is synonymous with bombings in Birmingham, then the image of a typical “racist” is a cross between Bull Connor, David Duke and Snidely Whiplash. In reality, prejudice in general is boringly human and racial prejudice is a byproduct of being an American. Sadly, even people of color in this society are biased against people of color. But our society wants to believe that prejudice is rare and that persons that harbor racial prejudice are one-dimensional villains. It is no wonder that merely suggesting someone’s views might be racist results in unproductive defensiveness. Tell a liberal who may have black friends and neighbors, that he holds a belief that is racist and to his ear you are comparing him to society’s villains–the skinhead, the neo-Nazi."

"Americans don’t understand racism anymore (if they ever did). We’re not talking dogs and hoses and separate water fountains anymore. It is covert and institutional. There always was a “silent” aspect of racism, separate from the lurid images broadcast nationwide during the civil rights movement. A lot of that racism still exists even though black folks can sit in the front of the bus now, but it is a racism that is hard to explain to someone who does not experience it.
    How to explain the whole history of black women and their hair to the uninitiated so that they understand why picturing an afro’d and militant Michelle Obama on the cover of the New Yorker is offensive? Most white folks don’t even know that the straight styles most African American women wear are an attempt at assimilation—the result of much manipulation. They’ve never tried to get a job in the banking industry while wearing locs or twists or a curly fro. They don’t know how damaging it is to reinforce the natural-haired black woman = angry, militant, troublesome black woman."

What makes you a racist..?
    Last edited by buck_dawg_gold; 09-16-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Correcting my question

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Re: What makes you a racist

I define racism as unfairly using race to further an agenda, whether personal or political. For example, refusing to sell your home to somebody based on race is racist. Drumming up racism when there is none to further your agenda is racist. Giving anything or denying anything based on race is racist.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buck_dawg_gold View Post
    Urban dictionary:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racist

Websters Dictionary:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racist

Not my quote

"Many racist people claim that their "race" or culture is superior to others. It might sound a bit strange, but often this belief in superiority is actually caused by fear or even the feeling of inferiority. In order to reassure themselves, many people imagine that they are superior to who they are afraid of, so that they don’t have to be afraid anymore."

Is it fear or pride..? Is having too much pride racist..?

http://www.antiracistparent.com/2009...-or-to-be-one/

"Our image of a person who holds prejudiced beliefs is cartoonish. If racism to most Americans is synonymous with bombings in Birmingham, then the image of a typical “racist” is a cross between Bull Connor, David Duke and Snidely Whiplash. In reality, prejudice in general is boringly human and racial prejudice is a byproduct of being an American. Sadly, even people of color in this society are biased against people of color. But our society wants to believe that prejudice is rare and that persons that harbor racial prejudice are one-dimensional villains. It is no wonder that merely suggesting someone’s views might be racist results in unproductive defensiveness. Tell a liberal who may have black friends and neighbors, that he holds a belief that is racist and to his ear you are comparing him to society’s villains–the skinhead, the neo-Nazi."

"Americans don’t understand racism anymore (if they ever did). We’re not talking dogs and hoses and separate water fountains anymore. It is covert and institutional. There always was a “silent” aspect of racism, separate from the lurid images broadcast nationwide during the civil rights movement. A lot of that racism still exists even though black folks can sit in the front of the bus now, but it is a racism that is hard to explain to someone who does not experience it.
    How to explain the whole history of black women and their hair to the uninitiated so that they understand why picturing an afro’d and militant Michelle Obama on the cover of the New Yorker is offensive? Most white folks don’t even know that the straight styles most African American women wear are an attempt at assimilation—the result of much manipulation. They’ve never tried to get a job in the banking industry while wearing locs or twists or a curly fro. They don’t know how damaging it is to reinforce the natural-haired black woman = angry, militant, troublesome black woman."

What makes someone a racist..?
    In reality, racial prejudice IS NOT a byproduct of being American. Racial prejudice is alive in all countries and have not been influenced by Americans at all. In reality, racial prejudice is a byproduct of ignorance.

Champ buck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to beholdbuck_dawg_gold is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    I define racism as unfairly using race to further an agenda, whether personal or political. For example, refusing to sell your home to somebody based on race is racist. Drumming up racism when there is none to further your agenda is racist. Giving anything or denying anything based on race is racist.
    Thanks... I have definitions of racism already posted...I am not really looking for a definition on racism.. I am looking for an aspect of you in your life that makes you a racist... I titled the thread" What makes you a racist..?" Then I go on to ask other questions based on an article I found on the internet...

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Your final question is "what makes someone a racist?"

My final answer is "somebody who makes some sort of decision or statement based only or mostly on race."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    In reality, racial prejudice IS NOT a byproduct of being American. Racial prejudice is alive in all countries and have not been influenced by Americans at all. In reality, racial prejudice is a byproduct of ignorance.
    This is true... But the question I really want answered is what is it about you that makes you a racist..?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

This is true... But the question I really want answered is what is it about you that makes you a racist..?
    Nothing. I'm not one. However, I find that those who you referenced are racist. They assume that when a white person does something it's racially motivated. I can read it in their writing and their descriptions of themselves. They defiantly state who they are in the guise of pride in their color, but I find that anyone who has to describe themself by the color they are do so as a defiant challenge to see if they can register a response from those they prejudge, racially, as having a problem with their color.

I followed one of the links to the blog where most of what you quoted was taken which led to another blog, both by black women who are "proud" of their blackness. In the other blog, the woman complained of a white woman asking to touch her hair as though it were racially demeaning and likened it to the days when white slave owners could touch their black slaves anyway they wanted and the black slaves had to take it. I found two problems with this. First, that the black woman automatically jumped to the conclusion that the white woman felt as though she had the right to touch her because she looked at her as a slave and subject to whatever the white woman wanted, and secondly, as usual, it showed the ignorance of this black woman in assuming that it is only blacks who have been asked by whites to let them touch their hair. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked by former black students, black classmates and black friends/coworkers if they could touch my hair. My mom would come home from teaching at an all black school with stories of some more of "her" kids wanting to touch her hair. When she taught elementary at an all black elementary she would bring me to her school on occasions, and I'd bet nearly everyone of the kids in the classroom wanted to touch my hair. Maybe the woman wanted to touch her hair because it was different. That doesn't make her a racist. I try foods out all the time that I've never tried because they're different and I want to experience that difference. It helps to gain an understanding.

These two women are racists. They view their worlds through the eyes of discrimination and see it everywhere even where it doesn't exist. They use only their worldview to form an opinion-a worldview that has been tainted from negative things they've never experienced yet want to use to their advantage.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but that's what I've got. So, buck. Take a spoonful of your own medicine and answer the question.

What makes YOU a racist?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

If you celebrate your racial heritage you are racist, because in celebrating racial heritage you are acknowledging that your racial heritage makes you DIFFERENT. Whether you believe that DIFFERENCE is advantageous or disadvantageous doesn't really matter, because you believe that the difference is significant enough to celebrate or take pride in.

The belief that someone is anyway defined by (read: DIFFERENTIATED BY) their racial heritage is a form of prejudice. It may be a minor form of prejudice compared to a belief, for example, that "all blacks have a disposition to be criminals", but it is a form of prejudice nonetheless.

Fear is also a form of racism. For example, if you are more apt to feel in danger when encountered by a thuggish looking black person than when encountered by a thuggish looking white person, that is also racism.

Whether all forms of racism are wrong, immoral, or improper is a separate issue.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I will admit that I am more apt to be impressed by a well-spoken, well-read and/or above-common-intelligence black person than a white person possessing the same characteristics. I believe that reflects an innate racial prejudice. Whether it is because I assume they had more to overcome to achieve those characteristics or whether I just have lower expectations for people based on race, doesn't matter. Both are racial prejudices.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

I guess I'm racist because I prefer and love my DAWGS over other universities. Before the season started, I thought they were superior to some other schools as well...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I will admit that I am more apt to be impressed by a well-spoken, well-read and/or above-common-intelligence black person than a white person possessing the same characteristics. I believe that reflects an innate racial prejudice. Whether it is because I assume they had more to overcome to achieve those characteristics or whether I just have lower expectations for people based on race, doesn't matter. Both are racial prejudices.
    If any white politician was this honest their career would be doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Nothing. I'm not one. However, I find that those who you referenced are racist. They assume that when a white person does something it's racially motivated. I can read it in their writing and their descriptions of themselves. They defiantly state who they are in the guise of pride in their color, but I find that anyone who has to describe themself by the color they are do so as a defiant challenge to see if they can register a response from those they prejudge, racially, as having a problem with their color.

I followed one of the links to the blog where most of what you quoted was taken which led to another blog, both by black women who are "proud" of their blackness. In the other blog, the woman complained of a white woman asking to touch her hair as though it were racially demeaning and likened it to the days when white slave owners could touch their black slaves anyway they wanted and the black slaves had to take it. I found two problems with this. First, that the black woman automatically jumped to the conclusion that the white woman felt as though she had the right to touch her because she looked at her as a slave and subject to whatever the white woman wanted, and secondly, as usual, it showed the ignorance of this black woman in assuming that it is only blacks who have been asked by whites to let them touch their hair. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked by former black students, black classmates and black friends/coworkers if they could touch my hair. My mom would come home from teaching at an all black school with stories of some more of "her" kids wanting to touch her hair. When she taught elementary at an all black elementary she would bring me to her school on occasions, and I'd bet nearly everyone of the kids in the classroom wanted to touch my hair. Maybe the woman wanted to touch her hair because it was different. That doesn't make her a racist. I try foods out all the time that I've never tried because they're different and I want to experience that difference. It helps to gain an understanding.

These two women are racists. They view their worlds through the eyes of discrimination and see it everywhere even where it doesn't exist. They use only their worldview to form an opinion-a worldview that has been tainted from negative things they've never experienced yet want to use to their advantage.

It may not be the answer you're looking for, but that's what I've got. So, buck. Take a spoonful of your own medicine and answer the question.

What makes YOU a racist?
    When I was younger I went to a school that was mostly one race. Most of these kids where well off and they treated most of the people they came in contact with like assholes… In my head when ever I think of an asshole I visualize that race… I don’t think that all people of this race are assholes… I am not going to give you the cliché line that I have plenty of friends who are of this race who are not assholes…but because of past experiences the first vision in my head when I hear the word asshole is a person of this race… I will say that driving in Houston during rush hour is starting to change my vision of what race an asshole actually is..

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Usually it's taught in the home. I don't know if children are likely to naturally attribute a negative experience with another to a racial characteristic until their parents start up with the "uh-huh....typical _______".

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't surprise me if we move back and forth based somewhat on the acts and deeds we witness. Even though I used to admire O. J. Simpson's talent on the football field, I hate what he ended up doing. Does that make me a racist? I doubt it. I hate what Kanye did to the white girl at that awards program. Did that make me and him racists? I don't know whether he is or not but the lesson is that he reminded a lot of us "how not to treat other people regardless of color". If a white guy did that to a black girl, it would have been just as bad. Behavior figures into this somewhere and eclipses skin color, as does politics and probably some other stuff too.

The growing perception is that Obama won the WH using deception, which is a deed and has nothing to do with skin color. Now, if his programs are designed to turn us into a Venezuela, etc., we have a problem and still has nothing to do with skin color. It appears he believes he was given the green light to do whatever he wants, and being black is a convenience to those who worked hardest to get him elected so we'll probably hear the race accusations for a while yet.

I might add to Guiss' comments that I've also enjoyed some of the black influences on music, wit, athletics, etc. for years, but I'm still proud of some of you white guys too. : )

When I was younger I went to a school that was mostly one race. Most of these kids where well off and they treated most of the people they came in contact with like assholes… In my head when ever I think of an asshole I visualize that race… I don’t think that all people of this race are assholes… I am not going to give you the cliché line that I have plenty of friends who are of this race who are not assholes…but because of past experiences the first vision in my head when I hear the word asshole is a person of this race… I will say that driving in Houston during rush hour is starting to change my vision of what race an asshole actually is..
    In my opinion, that doesn't make you a racist. Now if you go into every interaction with this race and expect them to be assholes and act as if they are going to be assholes and that determines how you react to them, then you would be a racist. I tend to view racism based more on one's actions than immediate thoughts. Don't misunderstand me, now. If someone thinks that he is better because he is a certain race, or thinks negatively of any other race, then I also consider that being racist. However, I tend to think along the lines of Austindawg. We are all conditioned when we are younger and alot of that conditioning is hard to overcome when a sudden situation springs up that might cause a sudden thought to pop into one's head, like you thinking asshole and picturing someone of the race you associate that word with, but that doesn't make a person a racist.

That's basically what words are anyway. If you think about it we use them to convey images for understanding. The image of asshole that you've been conditioned to picture is of this race, but unless you allow that image to affect how you treat and act towards that race you are not being a racist. Basically what I'm trying to say is that what one thinks in a given circumstance or even says doesn't necessarily make him a racist. It's more of his worldview of race that determines his actions which determines if he's a racist.

+ Reply to Thread