+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2319

Thread: peeve of the day

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Re: peeve of the day

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    yeah, that one sucks
    lmao

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    When people start a sentence by saying yeah.
    So, what's worse than that...

is the use of "So" to start sentences. Just listen for it, now that I have made you aware of it.

"How many people does your shelter serve weekly?"

"So...there are usually 250 people..."

So? Why start the answer with "So"? Just answer the effing question! "We serve 250 people weekly." Period.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Why end a sentence with with?

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    ...a little joke about ending a sentence with a preposition:

A girl from Louisiana was on a city bus in Shreveport, and she hears a yankee accent coming from a young lady near her. Being a polite Southern girl, she asks the young lady "Where are y'all from?" The snooty yankee lady says, "I'm from a place that doesn't end a sentence with a preposition"!
    The young lady from Louisiana apologizes and says, "Let me rephrase the question, then. "Where are y'all from, bitch!"

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Oxford Dictionary says its okay https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...-prepositions/
    fact, there are four main types of situation in which it is more natural to end a sentence or clause with a preposition:
    • passive structures (she enjoys being fussed over)
    • relative clauses (they must be convinced of the commitment that they are taking on)
    • infinitive structures (Tom had no-one to play with)
    • questions beginning with who, where, what, etc. (what music are you interested in?)
    Most attempts to avoid stranding or deferring prepositions in the following examples end up sounding over-formal, awkward, or like Yoda in Star Wars:
    Stranded preposition Preposition before noun or pronoun
    Gail has much to be happy about. Gail has much about which to be happy. [over-formal]
    Martin persuaded Lucy that there was nothing to be frightened of. Martin persuaded Lucy that there was nothing of which to be frightened. [over-formal]
    The house hadn’t been paid for, so they had to sell it. Paid for the house had not been, so they had to sell it. [not good English]
    Who were you talking to? To whom were you talking? [over-formal]
    The tennis match was rained off. Rained off the tennis match was. [not good English]
    He wondered where she had come from. He wondered from where she had come. [over-formal]
    She often said things that were inappropriate, but think of the pressure she was under. She often said things that were inappropriate, but she was under a great deal of pressure. [less emphatic]
    To sum up, the deferring of prepositions sounds perfectly natural and is part of standard English. Once you start moving the prepositions to their supposed ‘correct’ positions you find yourself with very stilted or even impossible sentences. Well-established and famous writers over the years, such as George Orwell, Anthony Burgess, and Julian Barnes, have been blithely stranding their prepositions to no ill effect: please feel free to go and end a sentence with a preposition!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Tommy had no one to play with.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite from Winston Churchill. "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something with which I will not up with put".

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Just received a sales and use tax notice on a gift my son was mailed last year. I have to record this on my return since my 10 year old doesn’t file. The $5 sales tax is not the issue. It’s the lack of rationale that gets me.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Pet Peeve!

Why does it bother us so much to lose a dog? We lost one of ours this morning, our first rescue. Had her 16 years. Her name is Annabelle. Or "Bellsy" I called her. Now my wife wants me to bury her out at our family plot at the cemetery. So...I will. My wife is upset enough, I don't dare not do as she wishes.

Bellsy was the dog of a college student at NSU and her boyfriend got mad at the dog, while still a puppy, and kicked her so hard he broke her hip. The girl, the student, couldn't afford the vet bill. A friend asked us if we could chip in and help. That was our introduction to the Natchitoches Humane Society, more than 16 years ago. My wife and I went to the Vet's, felt so bad for the little dog, we paid the whole Vet bill and adopted her on the spot.

Now, 16 years later, our little Bellsy passed away. But! why does it bother us...not me, I mean, my wife is crying and upset.

Now! just watch, within the month, we'll be back at 4 dogs. Rescue!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

When people use 100+ yards of the left lane to get into the left turning lane.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Pet Peeve!

Why does it bother us so much to lose a dog? We lost one of ours this morning, our first rescue. Had her 16 years. Her name is Annabelle. Or "Bellsy" I called her. Now my wife wants me to bury her out at our family plot at the cemetery. So...I will. My wife is upset enough, I don't dare not do as she wishes.

Bellsy was the dog of a college student at NSU and her boyfriend got mad at the dog, while still a puppy, and kicked her so hard he broke her hip. The girl, the student, couldn't afford the vet bill. A friend asked us if we could chip in and help. That was our introduction to the Natchitoches Humane Society, more than 16 years ago. My wife and I went to the Vet's, felt so bad for the little dog, we paid the whole Vet bill and adopted her on the spot.

Now, 16 years later, our little Bellsy passed away. But! why does it bother us...not me, I mean, my wife is crying and upset.

Now! just watch, within the month, we'll be back at 4 dogs. Rescue!
    Sorry to hear about the passing of "Bellsy". She sounds like she was a great dog. Unlike most people in our lives, Dogs give us their unconditional love. They are always glad to see us. I'm sure she will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Sorry to hear about the passing of "Bellsy". She sounds like she was a great dog. Unlike most people in our lives, Dogs give us their unconditional love. They are always glad to see us. I'm sure she will be missed.
    Believe it or not, our other dogs are mourning her loss.

Thanks for the kind words.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Believe it or not, our other dogs are mourning her loss.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Oh, I firmly believe that. We had a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a cocker spaniel, and the spaniel died. They shared the same doghouse and the ridgeback was the spaniel's companion since he was a puppy. About a week after the spaniel died, I heard a deep moaning from the doghouse. The ridgeback was mourning the loss of his buddy and that lasted about a week.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

One ply toilet paper in the TAC

+ Reply to Thread