+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2319

Thread: peeve of the day

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: peeve of the day

Euphonium music in treble clef.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

The amount of sodium in everything.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    The amount of sodium in everything.
    Sodium is not bad. You will not take in more than you can tolerate.

Bad...

Sugar
    Grain
    Starches

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Sodium is not bad. You will not take in more than you can tolerate.
    You are using a very broad brush to make that statement. Having what your body can tolerate doesn't necessarily make it good for you. Its true that concentrations of sodium are carefully regulated by the body and fluctuations can lead to negative side affect but not everyone reacts the same to high sodium input. To some it can be detrimental (high blood pressure, heart disease and even stomach cancer). Just don't overdue it and most people will be be fine.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    You are using a very broad brush to make that statement. Having what your body can tolerate doesn't necessarily make it good for you. Its true that concentrations of sodium are carefully regulated by the body and fluctuations can lead to negative side affect but not everyone reacts the same to high sodium input. To some it can be detrimental (high blood pressure, heart disease and even stomach cancer). Just don't overdue it and most people will be be fine.
    Yes, I think we know who needs to lay off the salt. The same folks who need to stay at home and hunker down during a pandemic.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    battery's low in the spycam in the air vent...
    😳😱😳

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    
    i didn't realize the peril of that being read out of context in this thread...

just to be clear, that was a sarcastic reply to jubru's beeping noise complaint -- not a peeve of my own.

(i replace the batteries in my spycams weekly to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen to me...)

Mispronounced contractions...

Wouldn't - WOULD UNT
    Couldn't - COULD UNT

etc.

The one that get's me the most is

Won't pronounced as WANT. I'm not sure where this comes from other than one feeling the need to speak "properly" and thinking want sounds better than won't.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Wouldn't - WOULD UNT
    Couldn't - COULD UNT

etc.

Won't pronounced as WANT. I'm not sure where this comes from other than one feeling the need to speak "properly" and thinking want sounds better than won't.
    that's got to be the reason. where i come from, there is no audible difference between want and won't. people are conscious of the fact that "want" is not properly pronounced that way and thus they change everything that sounds like "won't" in their head to "want".

a more obscure example is the word "swage". most people don't know what a swage is, but if you work with piping, the word comes up from time to time. thing is, it sounds like the way a redneck would pronounce a large hammer ("bring me that slage so i can drive this wage into the lage"). so people automatically assume it should be spelled and properly pronounced "swedge".

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't - WOULD UNT
    Couldn't - COULD UNT

etc.

You have it wrong. You put a "D" in and they don't pronounce the D. So phonetically it's more like Wuh-unt or Cuh-unt. They don't know how stupid they sound. Or like they have s speech impediment. But then I guess I don't get how cool they are. But they wouldn't (wuh-unt) say cool, they'd say Dope, or Lit, or Gucci or some other silly term.

This is where Camp967 says, "OK Boomer".

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    You have it wrong. You put a "D" in and they don't pronounce the D. So phonetically it's more like Wuh-unt or Cuh-unt. They don't know how stupid they sound. Or like they have s speech impediment. But then I guess I don't get how cool they are. But they wouldn't (wuh-unt) say cool, they'd say Dope, or Lit, or Gucci or some other silly term.

This is where Camp967 says, "OK Boomer".
    Ask any Boomer -- the development and evolution of English ended on the day they were born. Moreover, the science, literature, history, religion, etc that was taught in the 1950s and 60s is the only correct version. Everything before them was primitive. Everything since is corrupted.

But just for fun, look up the video sometime of the kids in Baltimore trying to say "Aaron earned an iron urn"

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I know this one has made an appearance, maybe many times.......

But , irregardless........
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...l-word-heh-heh

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Wouldn't - WOULD UNT
    Couldn't - COULD UNT

etc.

For wont of a better topic, PD chose this...

just kidding! just WANTed to throw in the word WONT, but I WON'T do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    For wont of a better topic, PD chose this...

just kidding! just WANTed to throw in the word WONT, but I WON'T do it again.
    ...50 years of teachers who were not taught properly teaching a subject they finally just stopped teaching all together.

I love hearing talking heads mis-pronounce the word "THE" using THEE pronunciation randomly. Again, thinking is sounds proper.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think a prescriptivist such as yourself would have had a difficult time during the great vowel shift.

Especially if the middle class hypercorrection theory is accurate.

+ Reply to Thread