+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ULL Got Monkey Stomped

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: ULL Got Monkey Stomped

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave1 View Post
    I know "some" Tech fans like to attempt and play the "Big Brother" card and try to get the blood pressure of some UL fans elevated by putting down the Cajuns and Sun Belt Conference. That's OK because the rational fans from both schools know that both of us have to play a couple of money games each year just to survive. This is primarily because our legislators simply won't allow our schools to charge additional student fees to help us keep up with our fellow conference members.

I know that a few Tech fans feel that your school in Ruston is so much better than our school in Lafayette. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that fact, because we feel the same way about our school. The only thing that I will say is; I have NEVER, EVER heard of any university (D-1A or D-1AA) allowing students from another college (Grambling) into a game for FREE!!! magneto12260@yahoo.com That my friends speaks volumes about the reallity at La Tech! Talk on these message boards is nothing but a bunch of B.S., but letting people in for FREE is reality!!!! It is what it is, regardless of what people post in these forums.
    Dave,

I like ULL and like you as a poster, but you don't know what you are talking about regarding the Grambling tix thing. You are not informed on that point. You need to understand that. That idea was actually presented by a member of this board and apparently "picked up" by Tech's administration. Considering the academic "partnership" between the two schools it is an understandable method of increasing casual fan interest in attending Tech football.

I know it is not your school, but as a conference mate, the matter of Northeast scheduling Ark as a home game in the University of Arkansas' second home is something completely unheard of in college football and done strictly so Northeast can meet 1A standards. This practice reeks of improprierity and pushed the envelope of ethics. Northeast historically has not supported its program and should be allowed to "die on the vine," instead of embarrassing itself and the SunBelt Conference by using such tactics to remain 1A. As a conference, the Sun Belt should never have "endorsed" such a measure by a conference member.
    Last edited by stodgdog; 09-28-2009 at 10:25 PM.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Actually, the attendance rule for maintaining FBS status is a bad one and good for any team that takes advantage of any loophole to get past it. Even ULM.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Dave,

I like ULL and like you as a poster, but you don't know what you are talking about regarding the Grambling tix thing. You are not informed on that point. You need to understand that. That idea was actually presented by a member of this board and apparently "picked up" by Tech's administration. Considering the academic "partnership" between the two schools it is an understandable method of increasing casual fan interest in attending Tech football.

I know it is not your school, but as a conference mate, the matter of Northeast scheduling Ark as a home game in the University of Arkansas' second home is something completely unheard of in college football and done strictly so Northeast can meet 1A standards. This practice reeks of improprierity and pushed the envelope of ethics. Northeast historically has not supported its program and should be allowed to "die on the vine," instead of embarrassing itself and the SunBelt Conference by using such tactics to remain 1A. As a conference, the Sun Belt should never have "endorsed" such a measure by a conference member.
    stodgdog,

I normally don't enjoy stirring the pot, but if you read the title of this thread and comments made about the attendance at our game against K-State by TECH fans, then I felt it was appropriate to point out what I percieve as a small time move by TECH to allow Grambling students into a Tech "home game" at a "neutral site" for free in a move simply to put more butts in the seats and create a smoke screen for a TV audience. If the academic partnership between Tech and Grambling is such a big deal, then you would think Tech and Grambling students would be let into each others events for free on a regular basis. Maybe both schools should just use the same student I.D. cards.

As far as ULM playing a "HOME" game in Little Rock, I agree with everything you stated. However, I have no idea if the Sun Belt Conference approved such a move, or if they even had a say in the deal. On that note, did the WAC endorse Tech's plan to let people get into a WAC football game for free? I can't imagine any D-1A conference actually endorsing such a thing.

I'm finished with this issue and appreciate your comments, but if some Tech fans want to throw darts, they need to be willing to recieve a few!!!! Good Luck this weekend.

Champ littleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the rough

stodgdog,

I normally don't enjoy stirring the pot, but if you read the title of this thread and comments made about the attendance at our game against K-State by TECH fans, then I felt it was appropriate to point out what I percieve as a small time move by TECH to allow Grambling students into a Tech "home game" at a "neutral site" for free in a move simply to put more butts in the seats and create a smoke screen for a TV audience. If the academic partnership between Tech and Grambling is such a big deal, then you would think Tech and Grambling students would be let into each others events for free on a regular basis. Maybe both schools should just use the same student I.D. cards.

As far as ULM playing a "HOME" game in Little Rock, I agree with everything you stated. However, I have no idea if the Sun Belt Conference approved such a move, or if they even had a say in the deal. On that note, did the WAC endorse Tech's plan to let people get into a WAC football game for free? I can't imagine any D-1A conference actually endorsing such a thing.

I'm finished with this issue and appreciate your comments, but if some Tech fans want to throw darts, they need to be willing to recieve a few!!!! Good Luck this weekend.
    Hey Dave,

You're clearly a cool guy and all but I need to correct you on something. The Tech game on Wednesday against Hawai'i is at the Joe. From the sound of your post you think that this game is at Indy stadium.

As far as the academic cooperation between the two schools I can vouch for it. I had several (at least 5-6) courses in which Grambling students participated. I also had several of my friends take courses at Grambling in order to graduate on time. It has been going on for a very long time.

Also, I'm fine with inviting fans from other schools if it's an attempt to grow a fanbase. Inviting them to your game is better than scheduling them against you in order to fill your bleachers IMHO. I'd rather have them in my stands cheering for me than cheering against me. Just my opinion though.

But, I do like you as a poster and as a Cajun contact for this board! Even if you did get "monkey stomped" this week.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point is reaching out and growing a fan base. Again, we are the only bcs team in N. Louisiana (save ulm ). We need to start acting like it. All the other colleges and universities can look to us for a big game, if there team is not in town. We are not their competition.

This is NOT about one game - this is about building for the future and reaching out to communities and other schools.

If we continue to do this once a year, I think you will see a significant increase in attendance - not at this game, but in the future. We are building something.

All those that think this is just about putting butts in the seats for one game are wrong. It is about the future. Besides, we won't get many Grambling fans to attend actually. Not on the first round. If we keep doing it once a year, though, we will start to build a bigger home crowd.

There is NOTHING shameful about getting students from other Universities to attend YOUR game. In fact, it is a bragging point. Once we establish ourselves as a winning bcs program, I would love for students from all over N. Louisiana scrambling to get a ticket. This is just a first step.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littleshoe View Post
    Inviting them to your game is better than scheduling them against you in order to fill your bleachers IMHO. I'd rather have them in my stands cheering for me than cheering against me. Just my opinion though.
    I think I would rather have the revenu generated by tickets sold. Greenbacks from opponents fans spend just as good as the money out of my pocket and schools like Tech and UL need all the money we can get.

Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar

I think I would rather have the revenu generated by tickets sold. Greenbacks from opponents fans spend just as good as the money out of my pocket and schools like Tech and UL need all the money we can get.
    Even free admission generates revenue due to the concession sales.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! However, giving away one game to some students doesn't do anything but get them excited about buying a ticket for the next game. That is the whole deal. The point is not just to fill seats. The point is to build a paying fan base. Seriously, this is something ULL should try, as well. Invite Community Colleges, JUCO's, and lower division schools. One game free. I bet you will find that they will become paying customers soon enough.

It is a great promotion and one that will not amount to anything for one game. Bet we get no more than 30 Grambling students. If they talk about a good time they had and come back with friends, though, it will grow.

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

I don't think that this will attract very many Grambling students - their team is not playing... But it is an interesting idea and at least we are trying some new stuff now!

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Even if they don't come, it's still a gesture of good will. If the admins are trying to work out a deal for football, maybe some good will is well-timed.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Even if they don't come, it's still a gesture of good will. If the admins are trying to work out a deal for football, maybe some good will is well-timed.
    True, but the whole point of this is for the future. No one seems to be thinking of the long term on something like this. They are just thinking of tomorrow night. We need to think bigger. Our AD is - I guarantee you. :icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread