+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: Interracial Couple Denied Marriage License

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    Yep, because one man's action is representative of the whole state.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Whew, this story got my girlfriend fired up, haha. Of course that's because I'm white and she's black, or more specifically, creole. I mainly just hate that the national news has now gotten ahold of this. This same crap happens up in Yankeeland, but the media loves to blast places like Louisiana. For what it's worth, I've never had one person bat an eye at us for being an interracial couple down here, nor in Shreveport or Ruston. That stretch from Denham Springs to Slidell kinda has a racist reputation, to understate it, and stories like this only perpetuate it. Unfortunately, there's a reason I don't take my girlfriend out anywhere in Denham Springs.

While we're on it, Danielle and I both would like to move to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex in the next year or two, and I find North Dallas to be nice. She said she's heard that Plano is racist and that we'd have problems there, but I've never heard of such. Can anyone chime in on that, or perhaps what areas around Dallas I'd need to avoid? I figure the whole metro area is probably okay, obviously except for the bad ghettos which would be bad for anyone.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    Whew, this story got my girlfriend fired up, haha. Of course that's because I'm white and she's black, or more specifically, creole. I mainly just hate that the national news has now gotten ahold of this. This same crap happens up in Yankeeland, but the media loves to blast places like Louisiana. For what it's worth, I've never had one person bat an eye at us for being an interracial couple down here, nor in Shreveport or Ruston. That stretch from Denham Springs to Slidell kinda has a racist reputation, to understate it, and stories like this only perpetuate it. Unfortunately, there's a reason I don't take my girlfriend out anywhere in Denham Springs.

While we're on it, Danielle and I both would like to move to the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex in the next year or two, and I find North Dallas to be nice. She said she's heard that Plano is racist and that we'd have problems there, but I've never heard of such. Can anyone chime in on that, or perhaps what areas around Dallas I'd need to avoid? I figure the whole metro area is probably okay, obviously except for the bad ghettos which would be bad for anyone.
    Can't comment on Dallas, but I heard Houston is the most diverse city in the nation. So many nationalities that interracial relationships arent even noticed. Of course, you know how bumpking some of those Dallas people are.

Varsity Bulldog dawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the rough

Plano is not racist. Oh unless you are referring to the foreign-born people not liking anyone American. That may be true to a small extent. :icon_wink: Plano is a diverse upper middle class city and no one gives a hoot what color you are as long as you are a tax-paying member of society. It used to be suburban white, but that has changed drastically over the last 20 years as more Asians, Indians and Middle Easterners have moved in. It's close enough to enjoy an evening in downtown Dallas, but has plenty of its own amenities plus Frisco is right next door with baseball, hockey and soccer.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

The only area in Dallas where you'll have any trouble with race is in historically "black" Dallas.

Varsity Bulldog dawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the roughdawgmom is a jewel in the rough

Stay north of downtown Dallas and you will not see any racism - at all. South side of Dallas (historically black), definitely. Maybe a little in old areas of Garland and Mesquite which used to be the redneckish area. The DFW metroplex is well represented by all races and ethnic groups. It was a major culture shock for us, upon moving to MS, realizing what a disappointing difference ... that racism is prevalent.

Back to the thread topic... I do not know how this man has a leg to stand on vetoing the marriage license. There is no law against interracial marriage so apparently he can assert his personal judgment? I don't understand the legality of the situation. Are JP's not obligated to serve the public to the extent of the law?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

They need to get with Rush and combine their discrimination suits.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

but it's "for the children"

hahaha. Thanks buddy. Way to give the state a black eye today.

Maybe he should have said he doesn't like mixing chocolate, referencing the illustrious mayor Nagin...

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgmom View Post
    Stay north of downtown Dallas and you will not see any racism - at all. South side of Dallas (historically black), definitely. Maybe a little in old areas of Garland and Mesquite which used to be the redneckish area. The DFW metroplex is well represented by all races and ethnic groups. It was a major culture shock for us, upon moving to MS, realizing what a disappointing difference ... that racism is prevalent.

Back to the thread topic... I do not know how this man has a leg to stand on vetoing the marriage license. There is no law against interracial marriage so apparently he can assert his personal judgment? I don't understand the legality of the situation. Are JP's not obligated to serve the public to the extent of the law?
    I don't believe there is any law that compels or requires a judge, justice of the peace, etc to give marriage licenses.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

That's good to hear that you don't have any problems in most areas of the deep south. I think our generation (20's-40's) isn't as hung up on race, except for certain factions of the black community which still seem obsessed with race. The Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world need to retire.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    Yep, because one man's action is representative of the whole state.
    dhuss,

Of course I understand your concept, but 99% of the people outside of Louisiana will see this and immediately think that racism is alive and well here in Louisiana. Plus, they will see this and immediately think of the Jena debacle.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgmom View Post
    There is no law against interracial marriage so apparently he can assert his personal judgment? I don't understand the legality of the situation. Are JP's not obligated to serve the public to the extent of the law?

I am not certain about the specific law in this area either. However, it was always my understanding that there were 3 different types of officials who could preside over a marriage in Louisiana: judges, preachers, and justices of the peace. The latter two had to apply for a license or certificate themselves before being able to legally conduct marriage ceremonies. I know that when I got married in May, the preacher had to get some sort of license the week before the ceremony since he had just moved to Louisiana from Texas and apparently didn't have his creditials in order yet.

With respect to discretion, preachers certainly have discretion on whom they marry. I presume a justice of the peace has some room for discretion also, although I seriously doubt that the discretion extends to race. If it does, it shouldn't.

dhuss,

Of course I understand your concept, but 99% of the people outside of Louisiana will see this and immediately think that racism is alive and well here in Louisiana. Plus, they will see this and immediately think of the Jena debacle.
    True, but I am not sure what you can do to control the media. They always pick up on race relations in the south, even if things are just as bad in the northeast. After going to Boston, I would say that place is more racially charged than any Southern city I have ever been too.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

99% of the people outside of Louisiana will see this and immediately think that racism is alive and well here in Louisiana.
    Then they are foolish...can't control that.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread