+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Recipe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Somebody please post a recipe for homemade whiskey.
    Are you wanting to remodel your house?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

shrimp alfredo -- it's so good because it's so simple.

chop up a red onion and a couple cloves of garlic (more than a couple if you like garlic as much as i do.
    sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft (don't let the garlic get black).
    add peeled shrimp seasoned to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
    stir until the shrimp is firm and pink.

that's the easy part. if it's me making it, i add some alfredo sauce from a jar and serve it over pasta. however, my wife liked this so much the first time i made it that she decided she could take it and improve it. so she learned to make the PERFECT alfredo sauce from scratch. i have no idea how she does it, so i can't share it here, but i've never tasted its match. at any rate, it's good with the sauce from a jar; great with the homemade stuff.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    equal parts of everything?
    Nope. I never measure for a recipe like this and you can toy with the ingredients as you see fit. Just a little celery salt/white pepper and the juice of 1 lemon should suffice. I use equal parts mayo and sour cream.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Ross, you got any BBQ dry rub advice?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

I want some recipes for different things to do with deer and duck meat, besides the standard bacon wrapped (which is very good). What do most of you do with the ground deer meat?

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Somebody please post a recipe for homemade whiskey.
    Ingredients and supplies.
    • 7 lbs. rye
    • 2 lbs. barley
    • 1 lb. malt
    • 3 grams of yeast
    • 6 gallons of water
    • 1 gram of ammonium-fluoride
    • Fermentation vessel with an airlock
    • Carbon filter
    • Still
    Step 2:
    Preparing the mash. In a vessel sufficient to hold water, grains and the malt, pour in the six gallons of water and heat it up to a temperature of 70F. Mix in the malt and grain, milling them beforehand, making a coarse powder. Keep stirring the mixture and raise the temperature slowly to about 160F. Keeping the mixture at this temperature, keep stirring constantly for about 2-3 hours until the starch has been converted into sugar
    for fermentation.

Step 3:
    Mixing the yeast. Allow the mash mixture to cool-off and pour it into the fermentation container. Before adding the yeast, check that the temperature of the mash is around 70F. Add the yeast; stir the mixture to let the yeast mix in well. Then add the ammonium-fluoride to avoid secondary fermentation and contamination. Stir the mixture once more and seal the container and top it with the airlock.
    Step 4:
    Fermentation. Allow the mash to sit and ferment for about a week to 10 days. At the end of this period, filter the liquid through a carbon filter and pour it into a still for the distillation process.

Step 5:
    Distillation. Collect the whiskey which will evaporate and be collected as vapors when you start the still. Allow the vapors to cool into whiskey and store it in clean and airtight bottles or mason jars. The more you allow the whiskey to age before drinking it, the more mellow and smooth it will be.
    You can experiment with various grains in several combinations until you've found a taste you like for the whiskey. Remember that this is only for your own consumption and not for sale.

http://www.howtodothings.com/food-dr...o-make-whiskey

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Ross, you got any BBQ dry rub advice?
    For pork?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    For pork?
    Baby-backs is what I've got in mind.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Mix:
    1 lb Brown Sugar
    2 Tblspoon Chili Powder
    2 Tblspoon Garlic Powder
    2 Tblspoon Seasoned Salt
    2 Tblespoon Black Pepper (coarse ground is best)
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    -Cayenne Pepper (enough to let you know it's there)
    You can add more seasoned salt if you desire. Be sure and taste the mixture before using to see if you need to add more of one thing or another.
    Thoroughly and liberally rub ribs with above mixture about 20 minutes before smoking or slow grilling. The rub will carmelize and form a nice spicy-sweet crust on the ribs. I usually take my ribs off when they're done and baste them with a good sauce (dry-wet ribs).
    Last edited by marketdawg; 10-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    What do most of you do with the ground deer meat?
    We've always used it for any recipe that requires ground beef...spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc.

I make hamburgers with it too, but I add lb for lb ground chuck. It's just too lean by itself. I also like to put a pkg of onion soup mix in with the meat mixture.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

...the onion tends to cut any gamey taste!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    Ingredients and supplies.
    • 7 lbs. rye
    • 2 lbs. barley
    • 1 lb. malt
    • 3 grams of yeast
    • 6 gallons of water
    • 1 gram of ammonium-fluoride
    • Fermentation vessel with an airlock
    • Carbon filter
    • Still
    Step 2:
    Preparing the mash. In a vessel sufficient to hold water, grains and the malt, pour in the six gallons of water and heat it up to a temperature of 70F. Mix in the malt and grain, milling them beforehand, making a coarse powder. Keep stirring the mixture and raise the temperature slowly to about 160F. Keeping the mixture at this temperature, keep stirring constantly for about 2-3 hours until the starch has been converted into sugar
    for fermentation.

Step 3:
    Mixing the yeast. Allow the mash mixture to cool-off and pour it into the fermentation container. Before adding the yeast, check that the temperature of the mash is around 70F. Add the yeast; stir the mixture to let the yeast mix in well. Then add the ammonium-fluoride to avoid secondary fermentation and contamination. Stir the mixture once more and seal the container and top it with the airlock.
    Step 4:
    Fermentation. Allow the mash to sit and ferment for about a week to 10 days. At the end of this period, filter the liquid through a carbon filter and pour it into a still for the distillation process.

Step 5:
    Distillation. Collect the whiskey which will evaporate and be collected as vapors when you start the still. Allow the vapors to cool into whiskey and store it in clean and airtight bottles or mason jars. The more you allow the whiskey to age before drinking it, the more mellow and smooth it will be.
    You can experiment with various grains in several combinations until you've found a taste you like for the whiskey. Remember that this is only for your own consumption and not for sale.

http://www.howtodothings.com/food-dr...o-make-whiskey
    What kind of malt?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Mix:
    1 lb Brown Sugar
    2 Tblspoon Chili Powder
    2 Tblspoon Garlic Powder
    2 Tblspoon Seasoned Salt
    2 Tblespoon Black Pepper (coarse ground is best)
    1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
    -Cayenne Pepper (enough to let you know it's there)
    You can add more seasoned salt if you desire. Be sure and taste the mixture before using to see if you need to add more of one thing or another.
    Thoroughly and liberally rub ribs with above mixture about 20 minutes before smoking or slow grilling. The rub will carmelize and form a nice spicy-sweet crust on the ribs. I usually take my ribs off when they're done and baste them with a good sauce (dry-wet ribs).
    Okay, this may sound strange but I've found that this is my favorite way of cooking country style pork ribs.

First I remove the membrane, which some people tend to leave on for some reason, and then I baste them really well in my homemade BBQ sauce (but any kind will do). Wrap them in foil and put them in the fridge over night. The next day I heat the oven up to 300 degrees and put the ribs in for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. After that I take them out and let them cool off enough to pick them up and sprinle a nice rub on them. Next I put them on the grill for about 10 minutes on each side to kind of char them a little. When I serve them, I put a little BBQ sauce on the side in a bowl to dip them in.

Cooking them like this makes them really tender, but giving them a time on the grill to char a little bit gives them just a little bit of chewiness that I like.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Are you wanting to remodel your house?
    We are thinking about it, but this experiment would take place at a farm shed

Thanks Yarfunkle, that gives me something to think about.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

We are thinking about it, but this experiment would take place at a farm shed

Thanks Yarfunkle, that gives me something to think about.
    I looked into this one time out of a combination of boredom, civil disobedience and intellectual curiosity. What I came away with is that if you do everything right you wind up with a smooth drinking, nourishing conversation starter. If you mess something up however, you and everyone who drinks it loses their eyesight. That's if you don't accidentally blow your house up or get an unexpected visit from the revenuers. So be careful. I would be glad, however, to sample your product at a tailgate (after you try it, of course).

+ Reply to Thread