+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipe Thread

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Re: Recipe Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What kind of malt?
    Malted barley, wheat, or rye should work.

You can get most of the supplies you need here:

http://beta.midwestsupplies.com/

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yarfunkle View Post
    Malted barley should work.

You can get most of the supplies you need here:

http://beta.midwestsupplies.com/
    I have always ordered from the Home Brew Den http://www.homebrewden.com/ because they were local to me when I lived in Tallahassee.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I looked into this one time out of a combination of boredom, civil disobedience and intellectual curiosity. What I came away with is that if you do everything right you wind up with a smooth drinking, nourishing conversation starter. If you mess something up however, you and everyone who drinks it loses their eyesight. That's if you don't accidentally blow your house up or get an unexpected visit from the revenuers. So be careful. I would be glad, however, to sample your product at a tailgate (after you try it, of course).
    I have a buddy that helped some of his relatives make a batch from an old family recipe. They aged it in a charred barrel for 8 months and it had a weak tea color to it. It really was some of the best whiskey I have drank. Another friend gave me some that he made with some other guys; it was clear and wasn't drinkable.

If I ever get around to trying this I will consult with the friend that was successful but I don't know if they would share their "old family secret" that's why I was curious if anyone had a recipe.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Even after 17 years in the food business I stumble upon a new one that surpises/pleases me. This one is called Salsa Verde and I have used it to top seafood over the last couple of weeks (I'm on a new all seafood/wild game only routine). So far I've used it as a sauce for pan sauteed: Halibut/Tilapia/Ahi Tuna/Shrimp and have used it for some hot smoked salmon and grouper at my house. It would work equally as well for baked and or sauteed seafod and I am going to use it on some scallops this evening.

Ingredients:
    2 Tblspoons finely chopped cilantro
    2 Tblspoons finely chopped green onion or scallion
    2 Cloves Garlic chopped fine (sub 1/2 teaspoon powder)
    1 Lemon
    1 Tblspoon Capers (optional) finely chopped
    3 Tblspoon Olive Oil
    Anchovy Paste (optional)

If made with all of the above it is a super-healthy and fantastic dressing for seafood or a fresh salad (omega3's and vitamins).

Put the chopped cilantro, green onion or scallion, garlic, capers, and about a 1 inch squiggly of anchovy paste (I know it's a weird additive for some but it's awsome stuff. Don't fret if you can't find it as you can definitely use this recipe without it) in a bowl. Use the lemon zest (this is JUST the yellow covering of the lemon-not the white underneath-and it can be obtained by THOROUGHLY washing the lemon and using the smallest diameter-holed cheese grater or zester you can find), and add this zest to mixture. Squeeze the remaining lemon juice from zested lemon into your mixture making sure to remove seeds. Again, if you dont have a zester don't worry-just use the juice of 1 lemon. WHisk briskly as you slowly add the 3 tblspoons of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste Refrigerate the mixture and use it to top your seafood or as a sald dressing. It is a cool, refreshing, and very healthy sauce and I've toyed with it for a while now: adding finely chopped jalapenos, Tobasco, worcestershire ect and love the flavor. Enjoy, Ross
    Last edited by marketdawg; 12-12-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Caesar Salad

French bread loaf
    1/4 or 1/2 c Olive oil (depending on how big of a salad you are making)
    Salt/pepper
    2 T Mayonnaise
    1 T Dijon mustard
    4 Anchovies

garlic (5 cloves)
    juice from half of a lemon
    Romaine Lettuce
    1 cup grated fresh Parmesan Cheese

Croutons:

Cut up pieces of French bread and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper, or butter, salt and pepper. Cook in oven on cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes until toasted thoroughly - remove and cool.

Salad dressing:

In the food processor, add garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper, Anchovies, mayo, dijon, lemon juice, blend thorougly. Then with the food processor still going, slowly add olive oil to emulsify.

Cut up Romaine lettuce, and toss with croutons, Parmesan cheese and dressing, enough to cover lettuce - if you've made too much dressing, save for another time.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

JOSE CUERVO CHRISTMAS COOKIES

1 cup of water
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup of sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup of brown sugar
    4 large eggs
    1 cup nuts
    2 cups of dried fruit
    1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality; then take a large bowl;
    check the Cuervo again to be
    sure it is of the highest quality...pour one level cup and
    drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large
    fluffy bowl. Add one peastoon
    of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it's best to make sure
    the Cuervo is still ok so try another
    cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs
    and add to the bowl and chuck
    in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit off the
    floor and mix on the turner. If the dried
    fruit gets stuck in the beaters, just pry it loose with a
    drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check
    for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt or something....who geeves a sheet.
    Check the Jose Cuervo. Now
    shift some lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table.
    Add a spoon of sugar or something,
    whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cookie tin
    360 degrees and try not to fall
    over. Don't forget to beat off the turners.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose
    Juervo and make sure to put the
    stove in the wishdasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS!!!

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Since it's getting colder...

Potato Stew with Chicken

1 onion diced
    6 stalks of celery chopped
    3 cloves of garlic minced
    1-2 carrots diced
    6-8 medium Yukon potatoes chunky
    4-5 cups of chicken broth (one of those boxes of broth is the perfect amount)
    1 cup water
    1 cup milk
    2 T flour
    1-2 t salt
    1-2 t pepper
    2 T butter
    2 T olive oil
    1 rotisserie chicken chopped
    1/4 t red pepper flakes

In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute onion, garlic, carrots and celery until soft. Add flour, butter, salt and pepper and brown 1 minute. Add chicken broth and water and allow to thicken slightly then add in potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender. Add chicken, milk, pepper flakes, and more salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until hot!

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Sardine Sandwich

I know this kinda sounds gross but even if you don't normally like sardines this recipe makes a darned good sandwich. Not the sandwich of today's generation that is just a couple crappy pieces of bread with must/mayo/tky ect ect. No no my friends! This is a Marketdawg special. Perfect for the duck blind/deer stand/boat or just for any lunch if you get the hankering. Ready?

2 cans sardines . These can be flavored any way you like but please try to drain or remove as much of the oil/mustard/hot sauce as possible as you really just want the sardines themselves. If you can find them plain in oil then these are the best to use.
    3 Tablespoons Mayo
    1 Teaspoon (or more to taste yellow mustard)
    2-3 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish (if you don't like this stuff just sub chopped dills)

Bread
    2 Avocado (peeled and sliced or chopped)
    3-4 Hard Boiled Eggs (peeled and sliced)
    Thickly sliced tomatoes
    Onion/sliced
    Lettuce (Big leaves of crunchy romaine or iceburgh (just don't chop it-up. this is for a real sandwich!)
    Salt/Pepper

Combine in a bowl the drained sardines/mayo/mustard and pickles. Kinda mash it with a fork til it's blended to your desired consistency. I like mine just blended but there are still some chunks.

Spread this on toasted bread. I like a thick sliced wheat bread or wheat roll but use any kind you like as long as it's hearty..maybe kaiser/poboy/baguette but toasting makes all the difference. Top with the rest of the toppings and salt/pepper to taste. The egg/avocado go back to a Greek-style sardine sandwich and the other toppings really round it out. Enjoy!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Made cinnamon and mascopone cheese ice cream last night. Haven't really tried it yet (it was for an office party today). If it's any good I can share the recipe.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Baked Potato Soup

12 slices bacon
    2/3 cup margarine
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    7 cups milk
    4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (can also boil them as if doing mashed potatos)
    4 green onions, chopped
    1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Tonys (optional)
    1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
    2. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and half of onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
    3. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
    4. Garnish with remaing green onions and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE collar View Post
    Baked Potato Soup

12 slices bacon
    2/3 cup margarine
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    7 cups milk
    4 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (can also boil them as if doing mashed potatos)
    4 green onions, chopped
    1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Tonys (optional)
    1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
    2. In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potatoes and half of onions. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
    3. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
    4. Garnish with remaing green onions and serve.
    Good Lord! How can this not be a fantastic recipe? Everything that goes in is awesome! It is really a nice chowder base as well...throw in some shrimp, oysters or clams at the end. Nice recipe for sure!

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Good Lord! How can this not be a fantastic recipe? Everything that goes in is awesome! It is really a nice chowder base as well...throw in some shrimp, oysters or clams at the end. Nice recipe for sure!
    Clams sound really good.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

I have added some blue crab claw meat before, never done it with clams.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I think my wife uses heavy cream when she makes something similar.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I think my wife uses heavy cream when she makes something similar.
    Or half and half. I made corn chowder when I got back Saturday evening and my recipe calls for half and half.

+ Reply to Thread