+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Recipe Thread

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Re: Recipe Thread

A roux comes from the days of cooking when nothing was wasted: the meat was fried and then added to the stock then the oil/fry mixture would be added later in the process.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    In my last Louisiana trip, a friend's mom made gumbo by baking the roux. Anyone else done this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I have seen my dad do it that way when he is making a big batch. It works fine if you know what you are doing. I enjoy stirring so I have never tried baking the roux.
    Alton Brown has a gumbo recipe that involves baking the roux. Never tried it myself.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Alton Brown has a gumbo recipe that involves baking the roux. Never tried it myself.
    alton brown is a genius, but he uses the oven way too much.

Varsity Bulldog TechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the roughTechME is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    In my last Louisiana trip, a friend's mom made gumbo by baking the roux. Anyone else done this?
    I have made the roux in the microwave before and it turned out really well. Heat the oil for a minute or so, add the flour, then heat it until it turns the color you want (stirring occasionally). Just make sure to use a ceramic or glass bowl, because even though a plastic one may say it is "microwave safe," that's not quite the same thing as "bubbling oil safe"
    Attached Images Attached Images

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechME View Post
    I have made the roux in the microwave before and it turned out really well. Heat the oil for a minute or so, add the flour, then heat it until it turns the color you want (stirring occasionally). Just make sure to use a ceramic or glass bowl, because even though a plastic one may say it is "microwave safe," that's not quite the same thing as "bubbling oil safe"
    And let it cool in the microwave. Otherwise when a hot glass bowl meets cooler air, KAPOW. Trust me. It can happen. :icon_wink:

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Which reminds me...never cook a roux or fry bacon w/out a shirt on.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Which reminds me...never cook a roux or fry bacon w/out a shirt on.
    He's right. Trust me. :icon_wink:

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I bet he gets the batter right next time.

+ Reply to Thread