+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duck season uncertainties

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

duck season uncertainties

we have a lease in the monroe area where the guy has raised soybeans this year. They were nearly ready for harvest about a month and a half ago before the rain started but the guy wanted them to dry some more. Two days after he told me this the rain started and he hasn't been able to get in the field since. Checked the beans last week and it looks like they are not harvestable even if he could get in the field. We've been on edge not knowing what would happen with the lease. To collect the insurance money we figured the farmer would have to disk under the crop but if that happened and he flooded it, we coudnt hunt over it because that by rule would be "baited". What I was told today was that, the crops could be left standing and then floolded and we could hunt it so maybe the insurance company woudn't requre that. Anyway, i'd bet there are some of y'all in the same boat as i know a couple others dealing with this also.

Fyi, Wildlife and Fisheries does NOT = common sense

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Re: duck season uncertainties

This same thing happened last year with the hurricanes and a bunch of folks got screwed out of their duck spots.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by honker22 View Post
    This same thing happened last year with the hurricanes and a bunch of folks got screwed out of their duck spots.
    yep, heard the down on the plantation around Alexandria there were some folks that weren't all that happy. from what i was told, the state guys said they would not write tickets, the feds however, being god, said they would.

Big Dog honker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the roughhonker22 is a jewel in the rough

Kash Schreiffer (sp?) the big time fed in the NE La region will write you a ticket in a heartbeat.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I've been worried about what might happen with this since I first heard about the total losses the farmers will have this year.

The situation at La. Delta last year was unique because it was thousands and thousands of acres of unharvested crop. The feds just went in and shut down the entire area so it wasn't as hard to police.

What we have in N La. this year is some harvested rice and beans and some not harvested. I'm pretty sure that once a disaster is declared, the insurance companies don't require an attempt to harvest the crops. I've been told that it was legal to hunt over unharvested crops as long as they have not been "manipulated".

It the feds decide to do something like they did last year in Jonesville they'd have to include everything east of the Ouachita and north of Jonesville/Ferriday. It wouldn't surprise me if they did something stupid, but there would be no way to police it. You can also bet your arse that they wouldn't shut it down in S.Ark or the Miss. Delta.

The LDWF needs to just keep their nose out of the decision.
    Last edited by maddawg; 10-31-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

[quote=maddawg;826637]
    What we have in N La. this year is some harvested rice and beans and some not harvested. I'm pretty sure that once a disaster is declared, the insurance companies don't require an attempt to harvest the crops. I've been told that it was legal to hunt over unharvested crops as long as they have not been "manipulated".[quote]

Most of the rice is still in the field.....they'll go in this week and leave 2.5 feet deep ruts trying to get it out.

As for hunting over unharvested crops.....federal wildlife agents will ticket you on the spot for that.

[quote=faninmonroe;826669][quote=maddawg;826637]
    What we have in N La. this year is some harvested rice and beans and some not harvested. I'm pretty sure that once a disaster is declared, the insurance companies don't require an attempt to harvest the crops. I've been told that it was legal to hunt over unharvested crops as long as they have not been "manipulated".

Most of the rice is still in the field.....they'll go in this week and leave 2.5 feet deep ruts trying to get it out.

As for hunting over unharvested crops.....federal wildlife agents will ticket you on the spot for that.
    you can hunt over standing crops or flooded standing crops. they just cant be cut or plowed unless harvested. I think they make it confusing on purpose, more money that way LOL

fyi:

Waterfowl Hunting on Agricultural Lands

Agricultural lands offer prime waterfowl hunting opportunities. You can hunt waterfowl in fields of unharvested standing crops. You can also hunt over standing crops that have been flooded. You can flood fields after crops are harvested and use these areas for waterfowl hunting.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Federal agents have told landowners and renters that they will issue tickets for hunting over unharvested rice fields in NELA.

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Federal agents have told landowners and renters that they will issue tickets for hunting over unharvested rice fields in NELA.
    hey, im just saying the fed agent in monroe area told our land owner and head of our lease that it would be acceptable to leave them standing and flood them. if we disk, that is manipulating the crop. his words not mine.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Also remember, "manipulating" includes rolling your field. If your rice is unharvested, you CAN NOT roll it either. It is legal to hunt over standing crops, and any game warden would have a hard time writing tickets for that. Or getting people to pay them.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Strange they would change the rules as they go along, but it would be nearly impossible to hunt an unharvested rice field anyway.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I'm in the same boat in Ark I suppose. Hadn't even thought about it til now. Guess I need to call Coyle and get this squared Chou?
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    I'm in the same boat in Ark I suppose. Hadn't even thought about it til now. Guess I need to call Coyle and get this squared Chou?
    yeah, you better call Charlie and make contacts to see what y'all can and cant do. only 19 more shopping days till Duck Season.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Hunted our blind southwest Ark this Sunday AM and shot 6 teal. There were a good number of ducks but they weren't working very well. Had to go "commando" and get out of the blind. There were a few hundred geese on the property as well. Plan on hunting THurs and Fri AM. Monroe (Richland Plantation) was hit or miss and kinda' slow overall Sat but started to pick-up on Sun and Monday was real good. Heard mixed reviews from Dave's Bayou and also mixed reviews from Garland. Red River and Toledo Bend was poor.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Heard of a group that did real good on Upper Ouachita opening weekend. Killed 29 mallards

+ Reply to Thread