+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Chose Tech (LSU Week Thread)

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Why We Chose Tech (LSU Week Thread)

When I got out of high school I wanted to go to Texas A&M. I got accepted there but no scholarships so I chose Tech because it was close to home. I liked LSU but I simply didn't want to live in a city like Baton Rouge, preferred the small town atmosphere.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

My favorite, handsome, hero uncle graduated from Tech in 1962. He brought me my first ever t-shirt which had a snarling Bulldog with a spike collar on it. It's the first t-shirt I ever remember having and one of my earliest memories - I wore that shirt out. I knew I was going to go to Tech from the day I was born. I never wavered in that decision even though we did live in Alabama for a while and I got offers from both Auburn and Alabama. I have loved Louisiana Tech my whole life and will love it for the rest of my life. I want a Tech funeral and the Tech logo on my tombstone with the fight song engraved on it - or y'all can just have my ashes thrown out at JAS. My son graduated from Tech last year. He feels the same way I do. It's a family tradition - a Tech family tradition.

Varsity Bulldog svb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the roughsvb002 is a jewel in the rough svb002's Avatar

I knew I was going to Tech way back in elementary school. Both my parents attended (but degrees from elsewhere) as did my older cousin. I went to Lady Techsters basketball camp here every year I could. My younger brother is currently a student.

When it came time to apply to schools, I only applied to Tech. LSU is just too big. Tulane was too expensive and freshmen couldn't have cars. I liked Tech's architecture program. Besides, I got a nice scholarship there and I graduated with only $1500 in school loans (thanks TOPS and Tech scholarship for not paying for the required 5th year of architecture, harhar).

We only went to one or two Tech football games when I was growing up, though. I was in school during the craptastic Bicknell years, so I never had much enthusiasm for going to games (only because I got in free). The last couple of years, though, have been very exciting and I've found myself following the team more and more. Hopefully in the next year I'll move back closer to home so I can make some football games.

But I do plan on being at the Techsters/Memphis game close to Christmas. My parents were in school during the back-to-back championships, and my mom has always been a big Techsters fan (though she doesn't get to make as many games as she'd like).

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

I came for the flying, and loved everything else.

I owe a large part of whatever success I've had to Tech. It's my second home.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by svb002 View Post
    I knew I was going to Tech way back in elementary school. Both my parents attended (but degrees from elsewhere) as did my older cousin. I went to Lady Techsters basketball camp here every year I could. My younger brother is currently a student.

When it came time to apply to schools, I only applied to Tech. LSU is just too big. Tulane was too expensive and freshmen couldn't have cars. I liked Tech's architecture program. Besides, I got a nice scholarship there and I graduated with only $1500 in school loans (thanks TOPS and Tech scholarship for not paying for the required 5th year of architecture, harhar).

We only went to one or two Tech football games when I was growing up, though. I was in school during the craptastic Bicknell years, so I never had much enthusiasm for going to games (only because I got in free). The last couple of years, though, have been very exciting and I've found myself following the team more and more. Hopefully in the next year I'll move back closer to home so I can make some football games.

But I do plan on being at the Techsters/Memphis game close to Christmas. My parents were in school during the back-to-back championships, and my mom has always been a big Techsters fan (though she doesn't get to make as many games as she'd like).
    Man, you make me feel old. :icon_wink: I was at Cedar Creek during the first championship and at Tech for the next one. For the 3rd one, I was in New Orleans following every game. In fact, I was born a Tech fan and stayed one till this day. It only intensifies.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

I had an uncle that was an LSU graduate in EE and it looked like that was to be my route also. Then came over and visited a friend that was attending Tech. Walked into the registrar's office with no appointment and was given a tour of the campus by one of the workers. Have been in love with Tech since. My oldest son is in his third year at Tech.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

I followed what is the downfall of all man.stupid for that but ended for the better.

Bulldog Tech96 is an unknown Tech96's Avatar

Growing up in New Orleans, I always wanted to go to LSU and my family are huge LSU homers. I started at LSU and stayed there about a year and a half and I didn't care about college anymore and flunked myself out. I worked for a year and I felt I was ready to go back to college but I didn't want to go back to LSU. I was helping neighbor go through college brochures one day and I was looking to go somewhere to finish my Animal Science degree and came across a brochure for Tech. I did the research and decided to apply without my Mom knowing. I graduated in 1996.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew View Post
    I followed what is the downfall of all man.stupid for that but ended for the better.

I've never heard that story. Tell it on the air.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

i like to think my tech story is unique and one i wish every student could follow --

i grew up in ruston, or at least spent most of my life in ruston, and all of it in north louisiana. yet, i wasn't a tech fan at all. went to a few tech basketball games and one tech football game while i was in high school. sadly, i missed all of the rattay era (i was at ruston high '96-'00).

at the time, like many young people, i followed the big schools. wasn't really a fan of any football team. loved duke basketball. was huge into prep sports (still am, actually). but i wasn't a fan of lsu or tech.

when i started looking at schools, i didn't really consider lsu because honestly i just didn't like the school. i had some interest in both tcu (which was my top choice but too expensive) and nlu because those were the two schools that recruited me the most. my decision came down to the fact that i loved ruston and wanted to stay close to home for school. so tech it was.

once i enrolled at tech, my life was changed forever. i had no ties to tech. both of my parents went to nlu, as did most of my family. but once i became a part of the tech family, i truly began to bleed blue. tech athletics became a huge part of my life, not just because i covered the team at the tech talk or worked for the sports information department. i traveled all over the country for tech athletics, and racked up quite a bit of debt along the way. but the five years i spent at tech were among the best in my life. i walked away with a diploma, an ability to make a living and veins that truly bleed blue. i wish every student could grow to love tech as much as i do.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Graduated from high school in Australia, and wanted to study engineering here in the states. My folks wanted me somewhere near family, which left a bunch of cold places (Ohio, Michigan, etc.), Virginia, or Louisiana. Visited Old Dominion University first, liked it...but it's no Tech. I visited Tech and didn't leave until I had graduated. I did consider lsu, but was not impressed at all, and I was strongly (and wisely) recommended to stay away from "schools like that" from a number of different trusted influences on my life (including potential future employers outside of LA).

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I'm a legacy dawg
    Ditto for me, there really was never another consideration. In fact I knew almost nothing of lsu growing up. There were no huge lsu fans around like today where they are everywhere, hummm. In fact back then people who went to NSU actually were big NSU fans (Gasp!) When I got to TECH I ran into a few lsu homers that went to TECH. Most of them went to lsu, flunked out because they partied too much. I actually wish I could be a TECH now. The students spirit is amazing and I hear that Ruston is becoming much more of a "college" town and more friendly to TECH. I don't miss being a broke college student but I would love to be a part of that new zeitgeist in Ruston.

Varsity Bulldog bdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nicebdawg34 is just really nice

My best friend's dad played football at Tech I believe it was in the late 60's and always brought us to Tech football games when we were kids which was an awesome experience. He was good friends with Pat Tilley and we were around him a lot and got to stand on the sidelines at the Battlewings games and as you can imagine that was pretty cool. I am from Benton so I was really considering staying home and going to LSUS but I was being pushed by my friend's father to attend Tech so I did. Needless to say I love Tech now and I'm even a cheerleader which is funny b/c I played football, baseball, and wrestled in high school haha.

Big Dog Lone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of lightLone Star Dawg is a glorious beacon of light Lone Star Dawg's Avatar

I chose Tech over LSU, NLU, USL, and New Mexico. I had a couple of friends from highschool in Springhill that were going to Tech which helped seal it for me. I wasn't really that much into the school atmosphere when I got here, but I got to be friends with Eddie Haymaker (Haymaker's Guitars) and a couple of guys that worked there which gave me a reason to stick around Ruston. Eventually the guys that I knew at Tech from Highschool dropped out, but I had gotten to know a group of guys from Baton Rouge and met Choudawg through his cousin Sonja which is where my addiction to Tech football started. I don't regret going to Tech at all and tell people that if I could go back to any period in my life, it would be to college where I could do it all over again without changing a single thing.

Thursday nights at Mother's potty parties, Friday nights of playing cards with a crowd around a poker table, Saturday football games followed by an evening at Stowe's or Sundowner, Sundays of BBQ'ing and watching the Saints followed by volleyball outside the apartment. Standing in line at the TAC to get a free t-shirt before watching the Techsters play Tennessee, watching P.J. Brown and Anthony Dade throw down against all the American South and Sunbelt schools, dragging two ice chests (one with crawfish and the other with beer) over the tracks at the baseball games as a Right Field Rowdy and getting so drunk that we started tossing crawfish heads over the fence at Lyle Mouton from LSU, driving to Birmingham for the Tech-Alabama game and locking the car keys in the trunk of the car in Jackson, watching Cary Brody knock a Montana receiver's helmet off and into the air on consecutive plays, seeing Bobby Slaughter make the game winning catch against Colorado State and then watching the goal post come down cracking some drunk guy in the head, and on and on and on...

Who wouldn't want to go back and do that again?

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

The smell of corndogs nauseates me.

+ Reply to Thread