+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random lettering question

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

Random lettering question

Can anyone tell me if you play a certain number of minutes, games, etc. in varsity to letter in Highschool sports?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Random lettering question

I think it depends on the school.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her game

I think most are based on quarters. If you play a down, you get a quarter. That is how it was at Rustion high anyway.

DAWGY

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

At Minden its 16 quarters for football, and a contribution to the team in baseball. Not sure about basketball.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    At Minden its 16 quarters for football, and a contribution to the team in baseball. Not sure about basketball.
    Nobody cares about sorry Minden basketball anyway.

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar

Soccer. And thank you for the replies!

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Nobody cares about sorry Minden basketball anyway.

Hey now, we've got some beasts!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE View Post
    Hey now, we've got some beasts!
    HAHA!

I was just trying to rib Dwayne.

EBB TIDE!

Varsity Bulldog bigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nicebigdawg04 is just really nice

at west ouachita it was just being on the squad. we needed everyone we could get.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg04 View Post
    at west ouachita it was just being on the squad. we needed everyone we could get.
    I coached a small high school in soccer and two years in a row academics and injuries left me with fewer than 11 eligible players. One year we entered the state playoffs with 8 players. Got beat 4-1 in the opening round, which I thought, all things considered, wasn't too bad.

For the sports award banquet later that year I told the AD I wanted to issue 8 letters...he went ballistic! He wanted me to limit it to maybe the 4 juniors and seniors. Told him he was nuts! We won our last district game to make it into the playoffs playing with just those 8 kids. They all earned it, I thought. No, he cited athletic dept "unwritten policies" and insisted that underclassmen had to be VERY special, else they might end up lettering 4 times. Again, so?

Then he said, but it was usually left to the coach's discretion. Okay. But, the AD wouldn't pay for any that didn't meet the policies. Bottom line: Coach Dawg80 bought the letters from my own pocket, all 8 of them (no, they don't cost much, it was the point of the matter.)

Varsity Bulldog chev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her gamechev6489 is on top of his/her game

I hope you are still coaching .The kids efforts should always come first .

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chev6489 View Post
    I hope you are still coaching .The kids efforts should always come first .
    Actually, I'm not presently involved in organized athletics in any way right now. First time since I turned 5....and that was a loooong time ago... that I haven't been involved as a player, coach, or ref. I just turned down an offer to coach NSU's men club soccer team. I did that in the past for years. My new job keeps me very busy with new challenges.

But, honestly, I miss the kids. Seeing some kid over-achieve and the look of excitement in their eyes when they accomplished something they didn't think they ever could...

...better stop or I'll miss it even more.

Thanks for your kind words.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I coached a small high school in soccer and two years in a row academics and injuries left me with fewer than 11 eligible players. One year we entered the state playoffs with 8 players. Got beat 4-1 in the opening round, which I thought, all things considered, wasn't too bad.

For the sports award banquet later that year I told the AD I wanted to issue 8 letters...he went ballistic! He wanted me to limit it to maybe the 4 juniors and seniors. Told him he was nuts! We won our last district game to make it into the playoffs playing with just those 8 kids. They all earned it, I thought. No, he cited athletic dept "unwritten policies" and insisted that underclassmen had to be VERY special, else they might end up lettering 4 times. Again, so?

Then he said, but it was usually left to the coach's discretion. Okay. But, the AD wouldn't pay for any that didn't meet the policies. Bottom line: Coach Dawg80 bought the letters from my own pocket, all 8 of them (no, they don't cost much, it was the point of the matter.)

That is what athletics should be about and that is why I prefer HS and College ball. It comes from the heart and those young men deserved the letter as they showed a lot of heart in their play. We need more of this in our country! I commend you!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    That is what athletics should be about and that is why I prefer HS and College ball. It comes from the heart and those young men deserved the letter as they showed a lot of heart in their play. We need more of this in our country! I commend you!
    Thanks.

But, you're right those kids deserve all the kudos. On the bus ride to that playoff game I addressed the team, reminding them how we would play this, 8 vs 11, ugh! Tactics were to bunker defend...that is sit back and play defense, packing our 7 fields players (needed a goalkeeper too) around the goal, and then counter-attacking. After the tactics were covered, the last thing I said to them was "Make me proud."

The other team had a full compliment of 18 players and they subbed in groups of 4 or 5....looked like line changes in hockey. Trailed at halftime 2-1. My kids wore down in the 2nd half. Had a shot hit the frickin post that would have tied it. Then two mistakes, brought on by fatigue, cost us two chinchy goals. Made the final 4-1.

As we were walking off the field afterwards, one kid, one of two seniors, Chris T. says to me, "Well, Coach...did we make you proud?" You betcha you did, Chris.

Chris is in the Air Force serving our country today.

How lucky were they to have a coach work so hard for them.!!

I won't mention the school, but reading my posts, it is not too hard to figure out. Our school treats the soccer teams like the evil step child. Girls and boys. We have to play our games at the junior high cause they won't let us play on the football field and won't provide a field. The AD is also the football coach.

I can totally see them coming back and saying we can give no letters, as this is not a real sport......

+ Reply to Thread