+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10-0!!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 10-0!!!

Grew up there and been a Saints fan all of my life (moved to N.O. in 1962). Got to usher for them in old Tulane stadium every week as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout as well. Those were great days!!!
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 11-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

I became a Saints fan and a Bulldog fan the same year. 1967 was my freshman year at Tech. I've suffered along with the rest. A perfect season would be wonderful, but a Superbowl win would be even better.

Champ Cass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really niceCass582 is just really nice

If the Saints could just be IN The Superbowl I would be the happiest man on the face of the earth.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

John Gillam
    Billy Kilmer
    Danny Abramowitz
    Archie Manning
    Tom Dempsey
    Bobby Scott
    Derland Moore
    Eloise Grooms
    Chuck Muncie (Thunder)
    Tony Glabreath (Lightning)
    Wes Chandler
    Richard (In Todd We Trust)
    Russell Erxleben
    Ken Stabler (one armed)
    Earl Campbell (washed up)
    George Rogers (beat Tony Dorsett for the rushing title)
    Hobie Brenner
    Hokie Gajan
    Reuben Mayes
    Lindsay Scott

John Mechom
    Tom Fears
    Hank Stramm
    Dick Nolan
    Dick Stenfel
    Bum Phillips

The Falcons & the Big Ben in the Dome (I & II)
    Breaking the Streak in Shea vs the Jets in the Snow
    The Monday Night game in 1979 where they choked up a 21 pt lead vs Stabler & the Raiders
    The Sunday Night game in Dalls in 83? where Stabler gave the Cowboys not ONE but TWO gift wrapped TD's
    Blowing a 30+ point lead at SF in 80? when Bill Walsh inserted a certain 6th round draft choice in the 2nd half whose first name was Joe
    The Rams kicking a FG on the last play of the game in the strike shortened year to deny the Saints their first play-off birth
    The indignity of giving the Tampa Bay Bucs their first win EVER and it happened in the Dome

There are just so many BAD BAD memories that I buried prior to 1987 that I don't care to drag them up - but I'm still here and always will be unless they move the team
    Last edited by Dwayne From Minden; 11-23-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

My best Saints memory was the day Tom Dempsey kicked that incredible field goal. My grandmother cried she was so happy for him because he only had half a right foot and no right hand. I'll never forget that day as long as I live and I was just a little girl. And we won that day.

Been a long time coming, Saints fans!!!!!! Happy Saintsgiving!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I was there for the Dempsey kick....well, actually I was there for all the Saints' games from 1967 to 1976...never missed a home game. Then was there for about half the home games thru 1985 when my parents didn't renew the Family's season tix! Been to sporatic home games since that time.

The whole Dempsey kick is forever etched in my memory bank. Without having to look it up:

Errol Mann kicks a FG...Lions 17 Saints 16
    Lions kickoff and Al Dodd (a former NSU Demon) returns the kickoff.
    Kilmer hits Dodd on an out pattern to the Saints 43 yd line....2 seconds left.
    New coach J.D. Roberts (straight from Northern Alabama Univ) sends out the FG team.
    Scarpatti, a backup DB is the holder, and he kneels on the Saint's 37 yd line (remember, goalposts were on the goal line back then)
    Guy in front of us, turns and says, this is nuts! Throw a frickin' Hail Mary instead.
    Lions expect a fake and don't rush hard...which is good cuz Dempsey takes an extra half-second to really get into the kick.
    When the ball was halfway there...same guy in front of us says: I don't f***ing believe this!
    Tulane Stadium erupts! beer flies into the air!

It was November 8, 1970. What a great day to be a Saints' fan!

But, the Saints finished 2-12 that year, with a 14-10 win over the Falcons too.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

How 'bout this one? When is being named Charlie Brown a good thing in sports?

When you turn in a magic moment and end up in the FB Hall of Fame in Canton. That's when!

Saints beat the Cardinals 14-0 with one of those TDs an unbelievable, spectacular punt return by a journeyman player named Charlie Brown. Saints had just signed him to replace an injured return man. Brown's....trust me, you wouldn't believe it...return was so awesome, the replay of it was placed in the HoF and called the greatest punt return in NFL history. That was about 1974 or so...

I was there, saw it live. And I watched the replays of it over and over again on TV later that evening....and still couldn't believe it. One of those plays, like the Cal lateral thingy to beat Stanford, when you keep expecting it to end...but it doesn't! He kept breaking tackle after tackle, stumbling, bumbling, rumbling...officially about 75 yds...but in reality about 200 yards as he zig-zagged back and forth across the field! Now that I think about, here's a bigger miracle: the play wasn't called back by a "block in the back" call!

Brown was released by the Saints at season's end and never played in the NFL again.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I understand some of the younger guys being fans, but for the life of me I can't figure out how some of you old enough to recall the first almost 20 years of Saints football held on. Why? They never gave you one single thing to deserve your fandom.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I understand some of the younger guys being fans, but for the life of me I can't figure out how some of you old enough to recall the first almost 20 years of Saints football held on. Why? They never gave you one single thing to deserve your fandom.
    That's a dangerous line of thinking for Tech fans...
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Thats what makes me them GREAT fans.

I remember growing up that at least once a week my mom would pick us up from school get us an icee and take us to watch practice at the DUMP they had as a facility at the time. We were peering over the fence but it was cool to see the dome patrol and all those guys doin work. I also meet Vaughn Johnson at Bennigans, man had the biggest head I've ever seen but that was my guy on the dome patrol, even over the other greats.

The first game I can remember going to was the Saints vs 49ers(80 something)-Dont remember the year but all i remember was the people going nuts in the dome as it looked like Rice spiked the ball behind his head before going into the endzone. If it wasnt for the damn 49ers in those days who knows where the Saints would have gone.

Best game i attended-Saints vs. Rams first playoff win in franchise history

Worst-Against the 49ers again this time during the Ditka era. Backfield of Danny Wuerfful and Troy Davis WR Andre HAstings...I swear they never crossed midfield in the game.

As a bonus this years game vs the Giants was an incredible atmosphere. It was a party the entire time, it never felt like they were going to lose...even when Giants scored. Usually people are on pins and needles but not that day.

Cant wait to go back down for dallas game and the atmopshere for the pats game monday is going to be something(For all you going...LUCKY)

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

It's simple -

They were the Saints and they were OUR team -

I lived on Carolyn Drive in New Sarpy (between Destrahan and Norco) off the River Road until I was 10 years old -

My dad - before he surrendered to the ministry - had the lucky job of hanging the game day pennants (alternating black, gold, white w/flor de leis) around old Tulane Stadium - he was alloted two sideline passes and a parking pass for every home game which allowed access to every place except the pressbox

3 games a year and 1 preseason game - I got to go - this was very heady times for a 5-8 year old kid

My dad was also route manager for Walker-Roemer Dairies located on Airline Dr in etarie - he has responsible for the Garden District residential area and Walker-Roemer required thier route managers to run the route once a month to stay familiar with the customers needs - I got to ride along some times and of course some of the Saints & front office personnel and a person who was part of the ownership group who had a small minority interest who just so happened to be Pete Fountain - (yes I have had cookies and chocolate milk in Pete Fountain's kitchen) - was on that route

Then there was Bud's Broiler on Airline Dr - which happened to be a local gathering place for the Saints and we met my Dad there almost every friday for lunch in the summer - Manning, Dempsey, Kilmer, Abramowitz, etc - I got all their autographs there at the restaurant

Heady Heady times -

Then we moved to Minden when I was 10 and there was exactly two kids at Stewart Elementary who like the Saints (me and a kid who ate grasshoppers/crickets by the name of Eddie Arnold) -

Never gave up on them, but never really expected them to be world beaters either - after all they are my Saints

Growing up where I grew up if you were a 8 to 10 yr old boy you wanted to be one of four people - Archie Manning, Pete Maravich, Richard Petty or Evil Kneivel - no one else came close - not Terry Bradshaw and definitely not Roger Staubach

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    It's simple -

They were the Saints and they were OUR team -

I lived on Carolyn Drive in New Sarpy (between Destrahan and Norco) off the River Road until I was 10 years old -

My dad - before he surrendered to the ministry - had the lucky job of hanging the game day pennants (alternating black, gold, white w/flor de leis) around old Tulane Stadium - he was alloted two sideline passes and a parking pass for every home game which allowed access to every place except the pressbox

3 games a year and 1 preseason game - I got to go - this was very heady times for a 5-8 year old kid

My dad was also route manager for Walker-Roemer Dairies located on Airline Dr in etarie - he has responsible for the Garden District residential area and Walker-Roemer required thier route managers to run the route once a month to stay familiar with the customers needs - I got to ride along some times and of course some of the Saints & front office personnel and a person who was part of the ownership group who had a small minority interest who just so happened to be Pete Fountain - (yes I have had cookies and chocolate milk in Pete Fountain's kitchen) - was on that route

Then there was Bud's Broiler on Airline Dr - which happened to be a local gathering place for the Saints and we met my Dad there almost every friday for lunch in the summer - Manning, Dempsey, Kilmer, Abramowitz, etc - I got all their autographs there at the restaurant

Heady Heady times -

Then we moved to Minden when I was 10 and there was exactly two kids at Stewart Elementary who like the Saints (me and a kid who ate grasshoppers/crickets by the name of Eddie Arnold) -

Never gave up on them, but never really expected them to be world beaters either - after all they are my Saints

Growing up where I grew up if you were a 8 to 10 yr old boy you wanted to be one of four people - Archie Manning, Pete Maravich, Richard Petty or Evil Kneivel - no one else came close - not Terry Bradshaw and definitely not Roger Staubach

I had no idea you had some south la in ya.. I got more props than ever before. BTW Buds Broiler is the S...:icon_wink:. I told my wife the other day that next time we go down we have to go to Buds, its been years since i have had it but i remember the Chili Cheeseburger was awesome.

Fox -

When the Destrahan grain elevator blew-up in the early 70's we thought a bomb had gone off and pieces of it landed in our yard -

We had the levee of the Mississippi River in front of us - the ships were higher than the levee and the Bonnie Carree Spillway at our backs

I literally had to re-learn to ride a bike when we moved to North LA - I could not handle the hills - it was brutal

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    That's a dangerous line of thinking for Tech fans...
    Nah. While Tech has not had a consistant run over the past several years, they have given their fans several tastes of winning. Too numerous to list. The Saints went approx. 20 years before giving their fans a taste of winning.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

It's called loyalty.

+ Reply to Thread