+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowl invite for ULL?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Bowl invite for ULL?

Thought about the state. The only people I have ever seen argue against the relation between a state and it's schools is on this board.

And he's not bad at math. 6 BCS conferences correct?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    Thought about the state. The only people I have ever seen argue against the relation between a state and it's schools is on this board.

10 BCS spots. 2 of those spots will go to Ohio schools. Even if you leave out the NC (not sure why you would) there are 8 spots.

Despite the success of Ohio State and Cin. I feel . . . exactly the same about the state of Ohio. Are you more likely to visit Ohio now? Know anything else about the state?

You thought about it for two seconds. I'll live if people don't take two seconds to think "LSU is in Louisiana, and they are good at football. How nice." And then go about their day. You think that loss is all that awful for Louisiana in any tangible way?

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

1/3 of the BC$ conference championships...correct.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Um, 6 BCS conferences. Not talking about the bowl games.

It's just a representation of the state, sheesh. Not the end all be all of it. Well, except for maybe Ohio. Besides the Rock & Roll Hall of fame and sports, what else they have? But the whole " window to the university" that sports is, is the same for schools to their states.

Who's loss for what???

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

He is saying that he does not pull for one in state team. The response to that was how it is better for LA if LSU is good at sports. I contend that the loss of a NC contending LSU is no loss for the state of Louisiana in any real way.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    He is saying that he does not pull for one in state team. The response to that was how it is better for LA if LSU is good at sports. I contend that the loss of a NC contending LSU is no loss for the state of Louisiana in any real way.

And I agree with you 100 percent. Louisiana gets no financial benefit even though LSU does. Nobody makes a special trip during vacation time to come see Louisiana if LSU or any other school were to win the BCS. Even if Tech won the NC, I guarantee we'd still transfer the maximum allowed to athletics in addition to the money we just won for the championship, so Tech winning wouldn't be any more beneficial either. Just more gratifying.

Not very good with the perception concept, huh? It doesn't matter if it actually has no true known measureable benefits. High schools could be getting a boost in recruiting. Students could want to stay in state. Businesses may want to support schools more to make them better. Businesses could move in and something up at a schools technology park (didn't Tech just start one if those?). Many other things that could, or has, happened because attention is drawn to the state.

Not very good with the perception concept, huh? It doesn't matter if it actually has no true known measureable benefits. High schools could be getting a boost in recruiting. Students could want to stay in state. Businesses may want to support schools more to make them better. Businesses could move in and something up at a schools technology park (didn't Tech just start one if those?). Many other things that could, or has, happened because attention is drawn to the state.
    I doubt it.

I understand how perception works. If a college is good at football, I perceive that they are good at football. That's it. It doesn't make me want to live there (or not). It doesn't improve my view of the residents (or hurt it). It doesn't teach me anything about that state other than the fact that it has a college with a good football team at a particular moment in time.

If LSU stops winning, LSU fans lose bragging rights. That is no loss to anyone who is not an LSU fan.

Well, that's you. Deny it all you want, but it is reality. People do tend to get thier attention drawn to a particular state when attention is thrown that way.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

LSU helped LSU when they won. Didn't help the rest of the state. Their applications, donations, and interest among snaggle-toothed rednecks went up.

How many high school students stayed in state? How many families moved to Louisiana? How many businesses have relocated to Louisiana? Sure, you can say it's limited to the Baton Rouge area, but they still pay state taxes there don't they? There's a lot lord to it all than tickets sold, donations, applications. I personally 2 that applied to Tech because of LSU.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

How many high school students stayed in state? How many families moved to Louisiana? How many businesses have relocated to Louisiana? Sure, you can say it's limited to the Baton Rouge area, but they still pay state taxes there don't they? There's a lot lord to it all than tickets sold, donations, applications. I personally 2 that applied to Tech because of LSU.
    You really think families moved here because of a title in football? Did those families pick back up and go to Florida the next year?

That is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    You really think families moved here because of a title in football? Did those families pick back up and go to Florida the next year?

That is nuts.
    No, not because of it. But, it was something that grabbed their attention about the state. To look around the state at jobs in their field to see if it's a better deal. It ends with the attention grabbing. After that, it's solely up to what the individual is looking for if anything. Nog everyone is content where thru are or with what they're doing. Got to be a catalyst somewhere, and sometimes a big positive, like a school in the state winning a NC, does that for the area.

Big Dog B.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post

That is nuts.
    My god I hope not, the year I moved here is the year they got slammed with probation.
    And you wonder why I don't move back to Ruston, be an ole' fashion tar and feathering

“Many of you criticize what you cannot understand, too often you’re too quick to scorn the records of a man who made young men believe their sweat was not in vain and that rising to the top required sacrifice and pain and that no one could take away what was not given. He kept them focused on the prize and demanded they stay driven.......time has passed, some words forgotten, but his wisdom will always echo in our ears and our hearts, down to our very marrow”

Big Dog dj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant future

LSU has won two national championships this decade. What tangible benefits came from both of those. Please give documented benefits that improved the state of Louisiana (not LSU). Or do you only have anecdotal hearsay? I hear that crap about LSU being good for the state all of the time, especially here in NELA. It hasn't improved the economy here one iota. Schools? Nope, they are mostly falling behind too. People have left the state in greater numbers since these two national championships. We are predicted to lose a congressional seat next year because of our dwindling population. You make winning one championship sound like it is a panacea for what ails you. LSU has two in one decade. Louisiana should have a rising population and booming economy if what you say is accurate.

Or it is just bull that some use to justify being a fan of a school. Just be a fan if you want, but don't pee on my head and tell me it is raining.

+ Reply to Thread