+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I Was Afraid Of This...

Champ littleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the rough

Re: I Was Afraid Of This...

This could be a bad bad thing for the BCS kids... whoever wins this out of TCU and BSU will be ranked in the top 5-10 to start. If they run the table then you have a definite #1 or #2 team... if they deny them a shot at the NC... things get reaaaally ugly. But of course... I guess by making them play eachother they guarantee at least one of them starting outside of the top 10.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littleshoe View Post
    This could be a bad bad thing for the BCS kids... whoever wins this out of TCU and BSU will be ranked in the top 5-10 to start. If they run the table then you have a definite #1 or #2 team... if they deny them a shot at the NC... things get reaaaally ugly. But of course... I guess by making them play eachother they guarantee at least one of them starting outside of the top 10.
    Assume that TCU or Boise begin 2010 ranked in the top 5. The voters and computers will place a one loss auto-AQ team over either one ASAP. Perenial top 10 teams and one loss teams like Ohio State and USC would jump them in a heart beat.

As for this year...TCU wins and they are #2. Boise wins and they'll end up #5 at best.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to Mike & Mike this morning, they indicated the Fiesta picked before the Orange Bowl for their lead spot (A/Q slot) and took TCU over Iowa, leaving Iowa in the Orange Bowl. Then the Orange Bowl picked before the Fiesta for their second spot and took GT leaving Boise for the Fiesta.

At least that's what I understood them to say. They and Kirk Herbstreit were talking about how the preferred pairings would have been any match other than the one that we ended up with.

Iowa travels really well. I can't figure why the Fiesta took TCU over Iowa. Have I missed something or misunderstood something here?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Y'all listening to Cowherd this morning?
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Cowherd's moved on. What did he have to say.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Cowherd's moved on. What did he have to say.
    "You're lucky you got invited at all. You're the ugly girl at the dance and you should just be grateful you were asked at all."

He was mainly talking to BSU/TCU/Cincinnati fans.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    "You're lucky you got invited at all. You're the ugly girl at the dance and you should just be grateful you were asked at all."

Better looking than at least Iowa, GT, Oregon, or Ohio State.

Wrong-headed. I'm amused when guys who complain for a living get "so tired of hearing X complain about Y."

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Better looking than at least Iowa, GT, Oregon, or Ohio State.

Wrong-headed. I'm amused when guys who complain for a living get "so tired of hearing X complain about Y."

Whatever.
    Exactly. It was funny that one of his guests on "around the globe" disagreed with him. Colin's response was that the BCS "mostly" worked this year.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

The BCS did not want those "ugly" girls to go and pull a Carrie on their beloved, pretty, and popular AQ girls...

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Exactly. It was funny that one of his guests on "around the globe" disagreed with him. Colin's response was that the BCS "mostly" worked this year.
    Well it did do what it the BCS guys want it to do...#1 against #2. The rest is just gravy and the fact that TCU and Boise fought their way in is impressive. There was never any danger of TCU getting in over Cincy. Anybody with minimal football knowledge knows that TCU and Boise are as good as Cincy, but they couldn't win the popularity contest.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

He needs to think* about what he means by "worked."

The BCS was set-up to find a way to narrow a group of possible NC contenders down to the "best" or "most-deserving" two so there could be a "National Championship" game. Within those parameters (whether you agree with the overall concept or just quibble on the details) I guess the BCS worked. They found a way to pick two teams out of the pool of undefeateds. Not every one agrees with the two they picked, or with the idea of having to pick them to begin with, but you could say that it did its job.

But the other BCS bowls just exist as bowls. So unless he really thinks they are offering the best match-ups (or making the most possible money through ads and butts in seats) the non-NC BCS system failed.

* Could have stopped here. This is why I never listen to him.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

The BCS bastards must be laughing their asses off. Bastards.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually agree with what Cowherd says. On this I have to disagree. #1 these teams do deserve to be in the BCS. They weren't lucky they got invited, they earned it. What did you want USC vs Nebraska? I sure he would figure out a way to justify that sort of matchup.

#2 Just because a team (TCU) doesn't pack out the stadium for every home game, that doesn't mean that the stadium won't be full for a bowl game. Look at us last year, we had over 45,000 in S'Port. People who have never even seen BSU or TCU paly will be there.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

I don't care if you had Middle Tennessee State and Akron in the National Championship game, it would sell out. I feel like most people who live in Pasadena, Miami, New Orleans, and Phoenix would go watch a BCS bowl game no matter who is playing, I know I would.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littleshoe View Post
    Exactly. It would have been worse for them if the two non-AQs went in and pulled a Utah on both their opponents.

I think the "kids table" analogy sums it up quite succinctly.

+ Reply to Thread