+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Football Roster Size Limit?

  1. #1
    2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    8,728

    Football Football Roster Size Limit?

    I thought there was a maximum football roster size limit at 105 or so players including the 85 scholarship players limit. Does anyone know if there is a maximum roster limit?

    Navy just finished off their 9-4 regular season and their roster includes:
    Seniors 31
    Juniors 28
    Sophs 48
    Fresh 62
    Total 169 players on the team!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=2426

    I can't recall any NCAA football team ever with this many players (including TX A&M with their 12th men in the old SWC). 169 players... WOW!

  2. #2
    Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shreveport
    Posts
    4,008
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    I thought there was a maximum football roster size limit at 105 or so players including the 85 scholarship players limit. Does anyone know if there is a maximum roster limit?

    Navy just finished off their 9-4 regular season and their roster includes:
    Seniors 31
    Juniors 28
    Sophs 48
    Fresh 62
    Total 169 players on the team!
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=2426

    I can't recall any NCAA football team ever with this many players (including TX A&M with their 12th men in the old SWC). 169 players... WOW!
    If I am not mistaken, they have a freshman team. Some of the northeastern teams have those. Not sure if that is the reason or not.

  3. #3
    Champ rphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her gamerphdawg is on top of his/her game rphdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Field Supervisor
    Posts
    2,276
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Troy has a freshman team

  4. #4
    Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Benito, TX
    Posts
    2,244

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    NCAA regulates number of free rides, and size of traveling team, but I don't think they have a limit on total number of players on the roster!


    I was wrong once, and it really didn't feel good, so I hope I haven't stepped on it again!


    TD
    ~~

  5. #5

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Limit on Number of Participants—Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, there shall be a limit of 105 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier.

    Exception—National Service Academies. [FBS] There is no limit on the number of student-athletes who will be attending a national service academy and who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier.

  6. #6
    2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    8,728

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    Limit on Number of Participants—Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, there shall be a limit of 105 student-athletes who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier.



    Exception—National Service Academies. [FBS] There is no limit on the number of student-athletes who will be attending a national service academy and who may engage in practice activities prior to the institution’s first day of classes or the institution’s first contest, whichever occurs earlier.
    Very interesting. So assuming Navy has ~170 football players again in 2010, will they be restricted on how many can travel or could all of them come to Joe Aillet Stadium? Some of them may have to stand on the hill if they all get to travel.

  7. #7

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Conferences usually apply roster limitations for traveling squads.

  8. #8
    Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    11,654

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    I thought the NCAA had a limit of 60 or so for traveling squads in football?
    "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah." - Matthew 24:37

    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” - Benjamin Franklin

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin...or maybe Richard Jackson


    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” – John Quincy Adams

    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" - Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I thought the NCAA had a limit of 60 or so for traveling squads in football?
    That's a WAC limit and it is 64, not 60.

    q. Squad Size
    Travel squads shall be limited to sixty-four (64) student-athletes for Conference competition. There shall be no limit on the squad size for the home team. [11/06]

  10. #10
    Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    11,654

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    That's a WAC limit and it is 64, not 60.

    q. Squad Size
    Travel squads shall be limited to sixty-four (64) student-athletes for Conference competition. There shall be no limit on the squad size for the home team. [11/06]


    What I was thinking of was a rule passed by the NCAA back in the 70's about the size of traveling squads. I guess it was revoked or changed somewhere along the way.
    "For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah." - Matthew 24:37

    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” - Benjamin Franklin

    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin...or maybe Richard Jackson


    “Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.” – John Quincy Adams

    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" - Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Navy's JV team played the VMI, where we recruited OP last year. VMI also plays Troy's JV team. Troy signs 40+ per year instead of 25, but a lot of those go to the JV team.

  12. #12
    Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Very interesting. So assuming Navy has ~170 football players again in 2010, will they be restricted on how many can travel or could all of them come to Joe Aillet Stadium? Some of them may have to stand on the hill if they all get to travel.
    Very true... but there's no way even without the restrictions that coach is going to bring that many players. Will say, dont they have weight restrictions in the academy?

    Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    Navy's JV team played the VMI, where we recruited OP last year. VMI also plays Troy's JV team. Troy signs 40+ per year instead of 25, but a lot of those go to the JV team.
    Actually I think its a neat idea to have a JV squad, especially if your not the greatest player or unexperienced, they can test you out against better teams (than you 1A HS opponents anyways).

  13. #13
    Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    622

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussierules1985 View Post


    Actually I think its a neat idea to have a JV squad, especially if your not the greatest player or unexperienced, they can test you out against better teams (than you 1A HS opponents anyways).
    I like the idea of a JV squad. If I remember correctly last year at Army, Ross Jenkins little borther played on the JV team for Army, but did not dress for the game.

  14. #14
    Champ littleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the roughlittleshoe is a jewel in the rough
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Opelousas
    Posts
    1,480

    Re: Football Roster Size Limit?

    Ok... so heres what I'm wondering...

    Do the Academies take students from families that have donated large ammounts of money to political campaigns or government associations? They have a huge roster, and I personally know a kid that got picked up by Navy a few years ago... no offense to him or anything. He was a good ball player, he just wasn't THAT good. BUT his family is LOADED. Anybody know anything about this?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts