+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Congrats to the Rebels

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Congrats to the Rebels

There appeared to be more Neville fans in the Dome than WM fans. I say "appeared" because of the colors worn, Neville fans were in gold (yellow) and WM fans in dark blue, so maybe the Neville fans just stood out better. But, I would say, based on that observation, Neville fans out-traveled WM.

Turnstile attendance count for Saturday's games was 34,000. Not so good for S. Plaq-Haynesville, but it began to grow for Neville-Franklinton, and the crowd peaked for the Rummel-WM game. The monsoon and flooded streets kept actual attendance down. Some folks could not get to the Dome. According to my weekly alumni email newsletter as many as 2,000 Rummel fans, tix bought, never made it to the game. Probably thousands of other casual fans, who would have bought tix at the door, stayed home.

Attendance for the two Friday night games was 13,000.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    His assistant coaches who have left WM have had success using at least part of Shows system. .
    Not familiar with any Shows' pupils doing well away from WM

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Middleton - Minden
    Carr - Ouachita

...are two that come to mind, but I don't know if they run a triple option.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Middleton - Minden
    Carr - Ouachita

...are two that come to mind, but I don't know if they run a triple option.

Are those guys doing well? Carr, I would say no.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Are those guys doing well? Carr, I would say no.
    I'm hearing that Carr is treading water. His team was very young this year.

Middleton, I think, has the Tide fans on his side.

Several of the other posters probably know more than me about both coaches.

...also, I'm not sure how many years Carr coached under Shows so he may not be a good example.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    My views on holdbacks changed after I read Malcolm Gladwell's book, The Outliers.
    IT IS all about when you're born in successful athletics programs. He uses youth hockey teams as an example. After reading the book I could NOT care less about holdbacks. It's a choice of the parents.

This year, my second grade grandson (natural "holdback" birthday of Oct. 2) is missing at least 10 of his classmates from last year. Those kids were held back in the first grade by their parents. I would wager their children stand no chance of experiencing the Don in 10 years or so. So . . . does that make every other coach a sham?

As a sidenote, I always found it interesting how my father did not take senior English so he could spend another year in high school under his extraordinary music teacher and save money to go north to college at Northwestern University.

His second senior year class schedule was a real sham:icon_wink:: senior English, yearbook editor, school paper editor, orchestra, band, choir (accompaniest).

I was a young kid for my age group. I didnt hit my stride til my senior year, starting in both football and baseball. I was born on July 21 and had a couple of guys in my age group who were a complete year older than me. It would have been sweet to have that extra year of growth, probably put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle my FR year of college, went from 170 to 185. I almost got held back in Kindergarten because I was "immature", I dont think my parents were thinking about how it would affect my athletic "career" down the line. However, I am glad they didnt, wouldnt trade my experience in life for the world (I am sure I would say the same thing if they would ahve held me back, though).

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

The person that popped into my mind when I wrote about assistant coaches was the coach down at Sulphur. When they beat WM in the playoffs a few years back, it was mentioned in the Newsstar that he (Sulphur coach) had coached under Shows and had pushed the weight training and other WM pratice staples at Sulphur. It's obvious that it definately helped Sulphur that year. As others have mentioned, Middleton has been successful for the most part. I think a lot of Carr's problems is the mindset of the kids and parents at Ouachita. Ouachita has had good players in all the major sports, but when it comes to getting them to play as a team, then things start to breakdown IMO. The parents over at Ouachita, tend to get more involved than they should. Kind of like it use to be a WM. You know, the old daddy (and mamma!) ball type programs. Instead of letting the coaches do their jobs, the parents complain enough that things change; either coaches getting run off or the better players not playing because jr. must play because he's the best.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LABulldog View Post
    The person that popped into my mind when I wrote about assistant coaches was the coach down at Sulphur. When they beat WM in the playoffs a few years back, it was mentioned in the Newsstar that he (Sulphur coach) had coached under Shows and had pushed the weight training and other WM pratice staples at Sulphur. It's obvious that it definately helped Sulphur that year. As others have mentioned, Middleton has been successful for the most part. I think a lot of Carr's problems is the mindset of the kids and parents at Ouachita. Ouachita has had good players in all the major sports, but when it comes to getting them to play as a team, then things start to breakdown IMO. The parents over at Ouachita, tend to get more involved than they should. Kind of like it use to be a WM. You know, the old daddy (and mamma!) ball type programs. Instead of letting the coaches do their jobs, the parents complain enough that things change; either coaches getting run off or the better players not playing because jr. must play because he's the best.

That's really the only one I could think of. Was it Bourgeois?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    That's really the only one I could think of. Was it Bourgeois?

Yes

+ Reply to Thread