+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shreveport mayor urges possible LSUS, LSUHSC merger

Champ Bill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant futureBill Brasky has a brilliant future

Shreveport mayor urges possible LSUS, LSUHSC merger

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...-LSUHSC-merger

Check out the comments to the article. I'm living with some real nut jobs over here in Shreveport. Have they lost their minds? If we merged with Grambling or ULM I would promptly turn my degrees back in. Being in the ULS and associated with Grambling is bad enough.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Shreveport mayor urges possible LSUS, LSUHSC merger

A few good ideas from the comments actually.

And just so you know, we have a Tucker Commision thread you can post this info and talk about the changes that need to be made.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brasky View Post
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...-LSUHSC-merger

Check out the comments to the article. I'm living with some real nut jobs over here in Shreveport. Have they lost their minds? If we merged with Grambling or ULM I would promptly turn my degrees back in. Being in the ULS and associated with Grambling is bad enough.
    Yeah the comments are ridiculous.
    DuffyShort wrote:
    Replying to superfro:The faculty at LSU-S has a depth not found in Baton Rouge. Most of the professors that I know have been there 10 to 20 years or more. The Business Department has American born English speaking professors...such is not standard at the larger schools....Some of the professors in English and History are regionally if not nationally renowned...LSU-S is a good school with little of the grade inflation that has become epidemic in Baton Rouge and Ruston...

superfro wrote:
    Wow!
    "Second best public university in th estate in most regards..."
    What a lofty accomplishment!
    None of these schools have distinguished themselves in a manner which counsel anything but a complete overhaul of our higher education system.
    And while Tech has fared better than the rest of this bunch of losers, it has a LONG way to go. Moreover,in recent years, Tech has made it clear that it serves Ruston, not Shreveport, not NW La.
    LSUS may be a good starting place, but completely new leadership is needed at that school. If someone can make a compelling case for that school's leadership, I would love to hear it.
    In short, La. higher education is a MESS!

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Someone needs to get to this idiot of a mayor and tell him that if he opens his mouth downplaying this, then Tech will never come to Shreveport for a game in anything ever again! The dotted lines are not signed on the Grambling deal, i hope! We actually have some leverage with this clown, if he knows it or not!

I love the fact that Davison is leading the fight for us! That makes this all sound very plausible! We also need to get Dooley in on these negotiations! He would close the deal!

DFi

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Glover is an idiot, everytime Tech is brought up (Blue) he tries to bash the idea down(Red).

Next to central Louisiana, Shreveport has the least higher education support of any metropolitan area of Louisiana," Wharton said.
    Wharton then took opportunity to address a rumor that LSUS would be merged with Louisiana Tech, which would "instantly give you bigger enrollment" and more degree programs, including doctorate degrees.
    "I was told that Louisiana Tech has a close association with the LSU Health Sciences Center," he said.
    A merger between both universities would not be what the Shreveport-area residents wanted, Glover said
    There is great support in the Shreveport community for maintaining the four-decade-long arrangement with the LSU System," he said
    Wharton added that besides increasing educational opportunities, "Louisiana Tech would have a big football stadium to play in."
    Commission member James Davison, a Tech supporter, said there is "a close relationship between our universities" and that a huge number of Tech graduates live in Shreveport."
    That's when Glover suggested a possible LSUS and LSUHSC merger. He also mentioned that a law school was needed in the area.
    "Great cities need to be home to great universities," Glover said later via telephone. "That has been a long-term goal of mine for this region."
    Worse he doesn't even have anything to stand on it's all anecdotal evidance give me hard numbers! Money savings potentials, opinion poll's, etc. Non of this gut feeling and it's what the people want crap!

And obviously it isn't just Glover, seems the city council has been told this answer plenty of times and is going with the head in the sand approach to answers they don't like.

Ideas and mergers have been around for decades and have been brought up before and they have been shot down," Sisson said. Wharton's suggestion to merge Tech and LSUS was reminiscent of a May 2008 suggestion made by consultants hired by the board of regents to allow four schools — Tech, Louisiana, Grambling and Northwestern State — to offer classes on the LSUS campus, making the existing LSUS non-existent.
    The issue died during a changing of the guard at the board of regents and was never brought up again
    I hope this goes through and Glover will have to be their eating crow and shaking Reneau's hand as they change the sign from LSU-S and LSU-HSC to La Tech - S and La Tech - HSC.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

The fact that Wharton is LSU-BR Chancellor lends a little weight to me that this might happen. Not to mention makes Glover look that much dumber for arguing since apparently LSU people think it's a good idea (Wharton) and Tech people think it's a good idea (Davison).

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Yes, Cedric Glover is anti-Tech. He is letting his political career objectives continue to stifle fiscal responsibility and logical reasoning. Same ole, same ole for Louisiana politics (North or S. Louisiana).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Glover
    Once out of high school, Glover attended both Grambling State University and Louisiana State University.

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Yes, Cedric Glover is anti-Tech. He is letting his political career objectives continue to stifle fiscal responsibility and logical reasoning. Same ole, same ole for Louisiana politics (North or S. Louisiana).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Glover
    Once out of high school, Glover attended both Grambling State University and Louisiana State University.

Hopefully "Heavy G" will not have a "voice" for much longer, but you never know what the voters in Shrevestown will do.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Shreveport wants Phd programs. Fastest way to get it is to merge with Tech. I don't see what a merger of LSUHSC and LSUS does for the area.

And the "we have a long standing relationship with the LSU system" is just non sense.

For god sakes people LSU really has nothing to do with this.

I think if anything happens you'll see a tech lsus merger. LSUHSC will stay by itself.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Shreveport wants Phd programs. Fastest way to get it is to merge with Tech. I don't see what a merger of LSUHSC and LSUS does for the area.

And the "we have a long standing relationship with the LSU system" is just non sense.

For god sakes people LSU really has nothing to do with this.

I think if anything happens you'll see a tech lsus merger. LSUHSC will stay by itself.
    Sure wish we could get that medical school. Shreveport could FINALLY grow up and have Tech with a medical school in their yard. The mayor is positioning Shreveport in the wrong direction, if they want a name school to represent them. Nanotech and Biotech with a Medical School would be a great deal for Shreveport.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

LSUS is a good school for only one reason, mostly serious students go there. No, not necessarily the best or brightest, but serious. It has NAIA athletics, and most of their program are decent. But, for the most part, it is a no-frill university. Under-grads, especially, looking for a complete college experience will steer clear of LSUS. But students opt to go there and/or stay because they are there for only one reason: a good education.

The faculty, that I am most familiar with in the College of Business, and some in the College of Education, are top-notch. They are accomplished, published (which means research), but mostly, they are good TEACHERS. Yes, the lost art of teaching.

I have an MBA from LSUS and feel it compares favorably with most others across the nation. That point is reinforced with my current enrollment in a related program through the University of Toledo (on-line), and my brief enrollment at the Univ. of Houston (completed 7 credit hours).

LSUS opened in 1967 with about 4,000 students, and has today, about 4,200 students. BPCC has siphoned off a lot of the would-have-been growth as has NSU, and others, whose enrollment has tripled during that same time period. What is left are 4,200 serious students.

Personally, I think the acquisition of LSUS would do wonders for Tech. But the powers-to-be at LSUS would fight it tooth and nail. But, if S'port wants a "major" university, it won't happen waiting on LSUS to grow into one. Best shot is a merger with Tech.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    LSUS is a good school for only one reason, mostly serious students go there. No, not necessarily the best or brightest, but serious. It has NAIA athletics, and most of their program are decent. But, for the most part, it is a no-frill university. Under-grads, especially, looking for a complete college experience will steer clear of LSUS. But students opt to go there and/or stay because they are there for only one reason: a good education.

The faculty, that I am most familiar with in the College of Business, and some in the College of Education, are top-notch. They are accomplished, published (which means research), but mostly, they are good TEACHERS. Yes, the lost art of teaching.

I have an MBA from LSUS and feel it compares favorably with most others across the nation. That point is reinforced with my current enrollment in a related program through the University of Toledo (on-line), and my brief enrollment at the Univ. of Houston (completed 7 credit hours).

LSUS opened in 1967 with about 4,000 students, and has today, about 4,200 students. BPCC has siphoned off a lot of the would-have-been growth as has NSU, and others, whose enrollment has tripled during that same time period. What is left are 4,200 serious students.

Personally, I think the acquisition of LSUS would do wonders for Tech. But the powers-to-be at LSUS would fight it tooth and nail. But, if S'port wants a "major" university, it won't happen waiting on LSUS to grow into one. Best shot is a merger with Tech.
    What is the population of Northwestern now. They were shrinking fast at one point. Have they come back to full population?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    What is the population of Northwestern now. They were shrinking fast at one point. Have they come back to full population?
    I have a ton of data on all the regional universities....somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, from my failing memory, wanna say NSU was around 4,000 students in the mid-60's, about the time LSUS opened, and grew to a peak of about 10,500+ about 5 yrs ago. A slight toughening of admission standards caused enrollment to drop to about 8,500(a couple of years back). But has rebounded to 9,800 this semester.

BTW, NSU has a working relationship with BPCC (BPCC has offices on NSU's campus in Natchitoches) whereby the plan is to gradually toughen admission standards with those falling short allowed to enroll at BPCC, but with the classes physically located in Natchitoches. Then after two years, those students can make a smooth transition into NSU itself. That has already begun in a preliminary manner and I don't know how many students are presently in that program. Probably no more than a few hundred.

Big Dog B.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Sure wish we could get that medical school. Shreveport could FINALLY grow up and have Tech with a medical school in their yard. The mayor is positioning Shreveport in the wrong direction, if they want a name school to represent them. Nanotech and Biotech with a Medical School would be a great deal for Shreveport.
    Bad news on the committee too Champ that hasn't been brought up. The committee is also talking about programs that have in their words not mine "no logical meaning or reference to their region", since north Louisiana isn't the big biomedical or nano metropolis the board actually is examining why Tech should keep these grad programs.

“Many of you criticize what you cannot understand, too often you’re too quick to scorn the records of a man who made young men believe their sweat was not in vain and that rising to the top required sacrifice and pain and that no one could take away what was not given. He kept them focused on the prize and demanded they stay driven.......time has passed, some words forgotten, but his wisdom will always echo in our ears and our hearts, down to our very marrow”

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.R.Bulldog View Post
    Bad news on the committee too Champ that hasn't been brought up. The committee is also talking about programs that have in their words not mine "no logical meaning or reference to their region", since north Louisiana isn't the big biomedical or nano metropolis the board actually is examining why Tech should keep these grad programs.
    link please

+ Reply to Thread