+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wireless Router

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Wireless Router

Purchased a Linksys wireless router a couple of years ago. I'm the type who will follow instructions and call the 800 number if I have questions. I purchased the router mainly for my daughter so that she could access when she was home from college. I never took the time to hook everything up, my daughter and my wife stayed on me about it, so finally I told them to just handle it themselves...my first mistake.

My wife finally took over the project and worked through the 800 number to get it installed. Here is what she was told to do which I'm convinced was wrong. They had her install the software on each computer that was to be on our wireless system so she did it on our desktop, her laptop, and my daughter's laptop. They can both access fine, but nobody else can access.

Example: I can't access from my laptop. When I type in the password from my computer it won't recognize. I've tried it with my old laptop and my new laptop. My guess is that the person with the broken english at the help desk asked my unknowing wife how secure she wanted the system and gave her the ULTIMATE security set up.

Before I begin the discussions with the broken english folks at the help desk, does anybody have a suggestion as to how I can start from scratch to get this corrected. I wouldn't mind requring a password to access the system, but it is not a must. My computer guy told me that although folks may pirate from your system, it is impossible for them to hack in to your system.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: Wireless Router

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Purchased a Linksys wireless router a couple of years ago. I'm the type who will follow instructions and call the 800 number if I have questions. I purchased the router mainly for my daughter so that she could access when she was home from college. I never took the time to hook everything up, my daughter and my wife stayed on me about it, so finally I told them to just handle it themselves...my first mistake.

My wife finally took over the project and worked through the 800 number to get it installed. Here is what she was told to do which I'm convinced was wrong. They had her install the software on each computer that was to be on our wireless system so she did it on our desktop, her laptop, and my daughter's laptop. They can both access fine, but nobody else can access.

Example: I can't access from my laptop. When I type in the password from my computer it won't recognize. I've tried it with my old laptop and my new laptop. My guess is that the person with the broken english at the help desk asked my unknowing wife how secure she wanted the system and gave her the ULTIMATE security set up.

Before I begin the discussions with the broken english folks at the help desk, does anybody have a suggestion as to how I can start from scratch to get this corrected. I wouldn't mind requring a password to access the system, but it is not a must. My computer guy told me that although folks may pirate from your system, it is impossible for them to hack in to your system.
    First, you need to come on BB&B with your requests before delegating to your wife.:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

simple fix. all routers have a reset button on the back that will return the unit to factory defaults, ie. bypass all security settings

Big Dog B.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakes View Post
    simple fix. all routers have a reset button on the back that will return the unit to factory defaults, ie. bypass all security settings

You do want a password to access the config because all routers have a default IP http://192.168.1.1 , which means that someone can go back in and change it once you have it configured. Beefcakes has it right, just reset the router, should be a pinhole in the back left corner of the router

“Many of you criticize what you cannot understand, too often you’re too quick to scorn the records of a man who made young men believe their sweat was not in vain and that rising to the top required sacrifice and pain and that no one could take away what was not given. He kept them focused on the prize and demanded they stay driven.......time has passed, some words forgotten, but his wisdom will always echo in our ears and our hearts, down to our very marrow”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Pushed the reset.

Lost internet connection

held on 800# for 2 hrs then got dropped

unhooked router and plugged in direct in order to get back online

I'm now #140 in line to be served online

Mad as a sombeech!

Big Dog B.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeB.R.Bulldog Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Pushed the reset.

Lost internet connection

held on 800# for 2 hrs then got dropped

unhooked router and plugged in direct in order to get back online

I'm now #140 in line to be served online

Mad as a sombeech!
    Your suppose to lose the connection. No go in and re-config the router

1. Connect your computer to the router using a network cable, or you can connect to the router through a wireless connection. Note that your wireless card in your computer must be enabled.
    2. Open your Web browser. Enter: http://192.168.1.1 in the address field. This is an internal IP address to access your router. Press the Enter Key.
    3. When the password request appears leave the user name field blank. By default, the password is admin.
    4. After logging in, you are not required to change the default administrative password. However, it’s fully recommended that you change the default password by clicking on the Administration tab and Management. Enter a new password in the Password field and again in the Re-enter field to confirm.
    5. I recommend setting the Remote Management item as Disable. It will be another layer of security for your router. With this configuration you can only access your router for programming using a standard Ethernet network cabling.
    6. To save the new password, click Save Settings at the bottom of the page.
    7. To avoid intruders accessing your wireless connection we’ll start to work with the Wireless tab.
    8. In the Basic Wireless Settings enter a name for your wireless network connection in the Wireless Network Name (SSID). Set the Wireless Broadcast to Disable. When wireless clients survey the local area for wireless networks to associate with, they will detect the SSID broadcast by the Router if the Broadcast is enabled. Do not broadcast the Router SSID. It must be Disabled.
      Note that your SSID should be set following similar rules for setting a password, e.g. at least 8 characters, a combination of letters, numbers and non consecutive characters.
      Disabling the SSID broadcast is not a strong security setting, but it can help prevent intruders from sharing your WLAN. Remember to save your settings.
    9. Enable network authentication and encryption. Listed in order strongest to weakest:
      WPA2-PSK (data encryption TKIP or AES)
      WPA-PSK (data encryption TKIP or AES)
      WEP (256 Bit) - Weak, but better than no encryption
      WEP (128 Bit) - Weaker, but better than no encryption
      WEP (64 Bit) - Weakest, but better than no encryption

“Many of you criticize what you cannot understand, too often you’re too quick to scorn the records of a man who made young men believe their sweat was not in vain and that rising to the top required sacrifice and pain and that no one could take away what was not given. He kept them focused on the prize and demanded they stay driven.......time has passed, some words forgotten, but his wisdom will always echo in our ears and our hearts, down to our very marrow”

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

pretty sure linksys IP address is 192.168.2.1

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

go to the desktop, click start > run and type 'cmd'

type 'ipconfig' and look for the "Defualt Gateway" to get the router IP address.

Oh and Maddawg. What you do, you find someone on BBB that lives near Monroe, give them directions to your house and you offer them a 12 pack for their installation services!!

Thanks guys!

For some reason after configuring I had to power down everthing and repower to retrieve my ISP.

That was probably one of those little things you guys assume everyone knows. I learned the hard way.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Thanks guys!

For some reason after configuring I had to power down everthing and repower to retrieve my ISP.

That was probably one of those little things you guys assume everyone knows. I learned the hard way.
    Sorry, just got here. I'd have suggested that.

Rebooting fixes tons of problems.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

shoulda bought a Buffalo with DD-WRT... Bulletproof. Mine reboots every night at 3:00 AM so I don't have to do it EVER.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    shoulda bought a Buffalo with DD-WRT... Bulletproof. Mine reboots every night at 3:00 AM so I don't have to do it EVER.
    What happens if you are still playing Halo 3 at 3:00 am?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Well, I haven't played Halo 3 in 3 or 4 years, so I'm not sure. But when playing call of duty it means, go to bed its too late.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

My wife finally took over the project and worked through the 800 number to get it installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    First, you need to come on BB&B with your requests before delegating to your wife.:icon_wink:
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Big Dog Yarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the roughYarfunkle is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Well, I haven't played Halo 3 in 3 or 4 years, so I'm not sure. But when playing call of duty it means, go to bed its too late.
    Damn! You've been playing Halo 3 for 2 years before it was released?

+ Reply to Thread