+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Two Thumbs Up

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Two Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    When I read "Nobody" I thought of an old movie "My Name is Nobody". A quirky spaghetti western with Henry Fonda. Looked it up and got a few chuckles.
    There were at least three in that Terrence Hill series. I never noticed when I was a kid that (like Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns) the Italian translation was REALLY bad, but the action was great!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

So I watched The Batman a couple of nights ago. Really good movie. Three hours long. I was planning on watching half, but it was almost over before I realized it. The story was solid. I'm not overly keen on Pattison as Batman -- or, to be more accurate, I didn't like his brooding Bruce Wayne at all. His Batman persona was pretty good. Obvious set up for a sequel bringing the Joker in as an ally of the Riddler.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Bullet Train was pretty good. All the actors were excellent. Some gags didn't land, but it didn't detract from anything. I'd give it 4/5.

It might be best to wait for it to come to a streaming service for most people, though.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Last episode ever of Better Call Saul next week. There is supposed to be a surprise. Don't have any idea what it is and even if I guessed I would probably get it wrong as I have been surprised many times in the turn of events in the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul world.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    Last episode ever of Better Call Saul next week. There is supposed to be a surprise. Don't have any idea what it is and even if I guessed I would probably get it wrong as I have been surprised many times in the turn of events in the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul world.
    I'm gonna miss Saul. Great series. I was glad to see Kim re-surface. I predict Jimmy/Saul/Gene goes down in a blaze of glory the last episode. Who knows....maybe Carol Burnett will finish him off!

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    I'm gonna miss Saul. Great series. I was glad to see Kim re-surface. I predict Jimmy/Saul/Gene goes down in a blaze of glory the last episode. Who knows....maybe Carol Burnett will finish him off!
    Interesting finale. Glad to see Kim and Jimmy/Saul/Gene have that last cigarette together.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Went back in time a bit with a show my wife wanted to watch. Bill Murray's The Man Who Knew Too Little. I had never seen it. The reviews aren't very good, but I thought it was fun. It's a fairly standard fish out of water tale, but enjoyable.

Three recent shows we've kind of caught up on lately

Rings of Power -- lot of hate from the fanboys, but I thought it built into being a pretty good show. Was pretty slow as they built the world and the back stories, but the pace picked up as the season progressed. Found the first season satisfying if not riveting. Has promise.

Andor -- also had some build up time, but this is a pretty good show. It's a prequel to the best of the Disney Star Wars movies -- Rogue One. It's giving a picture of how Andor becomes part of the rebellion. Off to a very strong start.

She-Hulk -- I've tried, but this one is just a flop. It's basically a super hero sitcom and it's mostly not funny. I don't know what they're thinking on this one. They seem to have a couple of underlying story arcs, but I don't find them interesting enough to live with the smirking storyline.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Perry Mason on HBO. It is set in an earlier time than the old series and some of the characters are in different roles. Very good and they don't rush the plot to get a different plot each week making for stronger story development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTr0no7wJGo
    Last edited by WWDog; 11-15-2022 at 10:53 PM.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Three Thousand Years of Longing Rented this movie today and I found it "magical". Nothing in it that will make you blush, get angry, stomp your foot, no real violence, not embarrassing situations or anything like that. It is a really good escape from reality of everyday life of today. It is one of the best movies I have seen in quite some time. It bombed at the theaters but the critics loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTr0no7wJGo
    WWDog
    La Tech

Saw Black Panther: Wakanda Forever the other day. Not a great movie. Way inferior to the first one. Marvel is not hitting well in the fourth round. This one had too many absurd decisions and motivations. Just not believable at all (even by the standards of a super hero movie).

I wouldn't say pass, but I would say go to the cheap show.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Devotion.

Korean War was a transition from prop figther planes to jet.

Good story line. Slower action, but well shot.
    Louisiana Tech University

A few holiday movie notes.

Spirited -- I think it's already out of the theaters, but a fun movie/musical. Music by the same people who did Greatest Showman (though not that good). Fun story, well done by Will Farrell and Ryan Reynolds, with a very strong cast of dancers.

Fabelmans -- hard pass. Supposed to be semi-autobiographical about Spielberg. Might be, but it's much more centered on his dysfunctional family than on his learning to love the camera (which is what the previews look like). It's a downer of a movie being sold as being about the magic of movies.

Glass Onion -- not as good of a story as Knives Out, but possibly the funnier of the two movies. Good show, though watching it on Netflix felt perfectly fine to me. I don't see a need for a big screen on this one.

Avatar -- about the same thing as the first one. Cliched story, beautiful scenery, poor character development. Very long -- feels like about three different movies. Only worth it if you really like the visuals in 3-D

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

ok so i haven't contributed to this thread before, because i'm never the first to see anything, but i was just reminded of how good the last kingdom series on netflix was. they just wrapped up the last season last year. very well-told story plus it teaches a little history if you take the time to learn more. they had me hooked with the first episode.

in the later seasons it seems like the good writers just laid out the storyline and let their underlings write most of the dialog and subplots, sometimes with cringe-inducing results (like, rings of power dialog bad). but the overall story was still worth hanging on to the end.

anyway, i just found out they made a feature-length sequel, which i will be watching soon, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

So I finally bit the bullet and got Paramount+ Not sure how long I'll keep it, but at least until I've finished Strange New Worlds. This is the best Star Trek that's been done since Next Generation. Great cast (well, I'm not enthusiastic about the guy playing Spock, but very strong otherwise), good stories, much better graphics than TOS (faint praise there)

+ Reply to Thread