+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Once upon a time on American television......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Once upon a time on American television......

Damn near everything any mortal mind needs to know about a healthy human philosophy was encapsulated weekly in what was purported to be nothing more than a silly sitcom.

This philosophy lesson for America was "The Andy Griffith Show".

It was entertaining. It was funny. It was not "controversial". It was surface simple.
    But leasurely laced amongst the common lives of a portrayed "hick" populace of a small North Carolina village...... An ethics and value system quietly SCREAMED volumes of STUFF to rival any thoughtful philosophical treatise, or any tedious philosophical tome ever authored.

If I was a faculty philosophy professor, and not merely a philosophical philosopher, I would truly enjoy TEACHING "The Andy Griffith Show" to any student who professed a desire to reduce the often lofty loopholes of philosophy in favor of anything akin to very common sense.

That's enough for tonight!
    I'll now rest this thread and wait to see what seeds (if any) it sows......
    Before I offer my Mayberry Challenge......
    TO LEARN......
    OR PUNT!

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Once upon a time on American television......

That's old school. I'll have to go back and review some footage...

...of which my Uncle in Galesburg, IL has episode.

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

I agree wholeheartedly.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Great show. Lots of good lessons. My young children even enjoy it today.

Not entertaining after Don Knotts left though. Just my opinion.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Great show. Watched it just the other day. Love Ernest T. Bass.

Champ ddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond reputeddgravy has a reputation beyond repute ddgravy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    That was some kinda of a rock throwin dude Great old school show

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Damn near everything any mortal mind needs to know about a healthy human philosophy was encapsulated weekly in what was purported to be nothing more than a silly sitcom.

This philosophy lesson for America was "The Andy Griffith Show".

It was entertaining. It was funny. It was not "controversial". It was surface simple.
    But leasurely laced amongst the common lives of a portrayed "hick" populace of a small North Carolina village...... An ethics and value system quietly SCREAMED volumes of STUFF to rival any thoughtful philosophical treatise, or any tedious philosophical tome ever authored.

If I was a faculty philosophy professor, and not merely a philosophical philosopher, I would truly enjoy TEACHING "The Andy Griffith Show" to any student who professed a desire to reduce the often lofty loopholes of philosophy in favor of anything akin to very common sense.

That's enough for tonight!
    I'll now rest this thread and wait to see what seeds (if any) it sows......
    Before I offer my Mayberry Challenge......
    TO LEARN......
    OR PUNT!

Cheers.
    You just went up about a 1000 notches in my book buddy!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Yay Sinfonians!

Andy Griffith is a very nice man to have a conversation with in person.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgmatic View Post
    Beneath the humorous as always surface of one Ernest T. Bass episode......
    Interesting STUFF was SCEAMED when......
    Andy made a genuine and noble effort to transform a seemingly rank non-conformist into a SOCIALLY acceptable member of polite society.
    The result......
    The TRUE and HONEST nature of Ernest T. could not be comouflaged in a fragile tea cup.
    AND......
    A very prim and proper young lady was able to discern barbarian WORTH......
    And learned a bit about ye amongst thee who would cast the first allegedly sophisticated stone.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Beneath the humorous as always surface of one Ernest T. Bass episode......
    Interesting STUFF was SCEAMED when......
    Andy made a genuine and noble effort to transform a seemingly rank non-conformist into a SOCIALLY acceptable member of polite society.
    The result......
    The TRUE and HONEST nature of Ernest T. could not be comouflaged in a fragile tea cup.
    AND......
    A very prim and proper young lady was able to discern barbarian WORTH......
    And learned a bit about ye amongst thee who would cast the first allegedly sophisticated stone.

Cheers.
    NO COFFEE, TEA OR PUNCH THANK YOU!!! What a show. I am somewhat of an AG expert my spiny friend.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I reared my children based on what I learned from watching the Godfather.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    NO COFFEE, TEA OR PUNCH THANK YOU!!! What a show. I am somewhat of an AG expert my spiny friend.
    How do you do, Mrs. Wiiiiiiiiiiley.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    How do you do, Mrs. Wiiiiiiiiiiley.
    No Hun-tin, no fi-shin, no tres-pass-in.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    That's great, Cowpoke......
    Perhaps you would care to assist me with my intended MAYBERRY CHALLENGE part of this thread?
    Here's my idea.

The CHALLENGE......
    Any author on this board may reference any specific and hotly debated/disputed philosophical or theological issue, and......
    MAYBERRY WILL ANSWER...... Whenever said topic was ever directly or indirectly dealt with amongst all the very entertaining comedy.

How about this......?
    I'll start it off with a somewhat tricky one.
    SLAVERY!
    Any thoughts?

Do you have an interesting one for me?

Let's have some fun. :icon_wink:

Cheers.

Deal. And I must edit my previous post. I never watched the show post 1965 exept for a few episodes. It wasn't as entertaining after Barney departed.
    Last edited by SicemDawgz; 01-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread