+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Once upon a time on American television......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: Once upon a time on American television......

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    Deal. And I must edit my previous post. I never watched the show post 1965 exept for a few episodes. It wasn't as entertaining after Barney departed.
    Deal......

And BTW......
    I do not recall ever watching this program when it originally aired in primetime.
    But sometime in the 80's I happened to see a rerun(s) that made me sit up and take notice regarding its philosophical potential.
    I subsequently became an avid fan because I found the even the less than thought provoking episodes to be always entertaining and RELAXING.

Regarding Barney's departure...... I agree!
    But many of the Barneyless shows were also very philosophically worthwhile IMNHO.
    Try the Andy and family with Goober at the car show episode. It was one of the more provocative clumps of trees (PRETENSE, ENVY, COMPASSION and CHARITY) in this lovely forest.

And BTW again......
    The SLAVERY episode that impessed me was definitly in the Barney era.

Do you have one for me?
    We may be the only fellows/fools in dawgland who will enjoy playing this game. But since few of the political or sports persons seem to frequent the folly of this board in earnest......
    What the hell, eh?

So let's have some fun! :icon_wink:

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    That's old school. I'll have to go back and review some footage...

...of which my Uncle in Galesburg, IL has episode.
    Would you care to name......
    ONE significant philosopher who is not OLDER "old school".

Just playing. :icon_wink:

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Great show. Lots of good lessons. My young children even enjoy it today.

Not entertaining after Don Knotts left though. Just my opinion.
    Imagine a modern day elementary school......
    Where every student was required to watch an episode of The Andy Griffith Show (without commercials) for a year, and then discussed its LESSON(s) with a REALLY GOOD teacher for the remainder of the class period.

I need math.
    I like geography.
    I love history.

But an honest lesson regarding the only effective way to deal with the FEAR of a bully......
    Or the potential path pursued by passively parading past a peer's THEFT......
    Seem to me to be worthy topics TODAY for every impressionable young mind.

While I doubt that Andy and his many Mayberry lessons will ever be deemed appropriate/worthwhile by our current academic leaders of young minds......
    Home learning with good parents remains the citadel of the the most important "education" any fortunate child will ever receive.

Just more of MNHO.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    You just went up about a 1000 notches in my book buddy!
    I merely noticed and remarked upon what appears to me to be obvious......
    So I'll take one notch.
    IMNHO...... The other 999 notches belong to the writers of this most interesting exception to what decades of television have sadly provided for the American public.

Cheers.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Deal......

And BTW......
    I do not recall ever watching this program when it originally aired in primetime.
    But sometime in the 80's I happened to see a rerun(s) that made me sit up and take notice regarding its philosophical potential.
    I subsequently became an avid fan because I found the even the less than thought provoking episodes to be always entertaining and RELAXING.

Regarding Barney's departure...... I agree!
    But many of the Barneyless shows were also very philosophically worthwhile IMNHO.
    Try the Andy and family with Goober at the car show episode. It was one of the more provocative clumps of trees (PRETENSE, ENVY, COMPASSION and CHARITY) in this lovely forest.

And BTW again......
    The SLAVERY episode that impessed me was definitly in the Barney era.

Do you have one for me?
    We may be the only fellows/fools in dawgland who will enjoy playing this game. But since few of the political or sports persons seem to frequent the folly of this board in earnest......
    What the hell, eh?

So let's have some fun! :icon_wink:

Cheers.
    Once again spiny your superior grey cells may have defeated mine in this Andy G celebrity death match, but what the heck, I'll give it a try.
    In one episode, Barney is trying to explain the Emancipation Proclomation. I believe he explained it something like this, " A long time ago there were these people who needed emancipatin, so they issued this proclomation, and that's why it's called the Emancipation Proclomation."
    Or their was one episode where Opie killed a mother bird and Andy forced him to raise the 3 chicks to learn responsibility for his actions (Winkin, Blinkin and Nod). At the end Opie wants to keep them caged and ole Andy pulls a Morgan Freeman line out of The Shawshank Redemption, some things are just to beautiful to keep locked up, you have to set them free to see their true beauty. Then he sets them free and they promptly take their place in one Mayberry tree and begin to sing their hearts away. Opie makes the comment that the cage looks empty, but Andy never the one to let a lesson slip away, promptly reminds him of how full the trees are.
    Now I'm tired, did I even get close?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Once again spiny your superior grey cells may have defeated mine in this Andy G celebrity death match, but what the heck, I'll give it a try.
    In one episode, Barney is trying to explain the Emancipation Proclomation. I believe he explained it something like this, " A long time ago there were these people who needed emancipatin, so they issued this proclomation, and that's why it's called the Emancipation Proclomation."
    Or their was one episode where Opie killed a mother bird and Andy forced him to raise the 3 chicks to learn responsibility for his actions (Winkin, Blinkin and Nod). At the end Opie wants to keep them caged and ole Andy pulls a Morgan Freeman line out of The Shawshank Redemption, some things are just to beautiful to keep locked up, you have to set them free to see their true beauty. Then he sets them free and they promptly take their place in one Mayberry tree and begin to sing their hearts away. Opie makes the comment that the cage looks empty, but Andy never the one to let a lesson slip away, promptly reminds him of how full the trees are.
    Fortunately, we had Barney who could translate bird speak. "Here comes the cat. Here comes the cat."

No prizes......
    No winners or losers......
    No national ranking nonsense or bowl bullcrap!
    Ergo...... The concepts of defeat and victory are not involved.
    Like I said...... Let's just have some fun!

Regarding the episode when Barney explained the Emancipation Proclamation......
    If I recall correctly, that was the first time Andy met Helen. But I do not recall the actual context of this particular show. However, if it evoked thoughts regarding SLAVERY in your mind, that's good enough for me.

Regarding the Opie kills a mother bird episode (one of my favorites) I view that story as a superb lesson regarding the need/righteousness for every invividual (man, woman, or child) to take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for the consequences of every intended or unintended result their behavior causes.

From the era of dungeons (and before) to our modern supermax prisons, human beings have seemingly always preferred CAGING individuals who violate the various "laws" of various societies, rather than giving any offender the opportunity to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their intended or unintended actions.
    Imagine for a moment that Cain slays YOU, thereby leaving your wife and children to fend for themselves in our often brutal world.
    How does CAGING (and possibly later killing) Cain benefit YOUR wife and children.
    Will any government spend as much to assist your family as they eagerly stand willing to spend to CAGE and/or kill Cain?
    HELL NO!
    The American "justice" system concerns itself NOT with any such matters.

BUT......
    What if Cain was significantly remorseful, and offered to work for 25 YEARS TO LIFE
    to earn money to send to to your family.
    HELL......
    Even if Cain worked for minimum wage and sent your family half of what the local, state and federal governments did not steal from the sweat of his brow......
    Would YOU not prefer that to his being CAGED, and your family being ignored by his proud CAGERS?

Anyway......
    While it never previosly occurred to me that the Opie kills a bird episode addressed any SLAVERY issue......
    You have made me consider how consistantly our American "justice" system so routinely ignores the potential CAGING and ENSLAVEMENT of the LIVING victims of crime......
    And cares not a fig if they later starve.....
    Or live to FLY and FILL OUR TREES with their chirps and songs.

I shall never watch the bird episode again without reflecting upon the new thoughts your missive has inspired.

Thanks, Cowboy......

Cheers.

And now for your consideration......
    My SLAVERY episode.

Ellie, the pharmacist, meets a rural lass who admires various female items in the drugstore. Ellie subsequently decides to generously give some of her "notions" and potions to the unfashionable gal.
    But Andy explains that her daddy probably does not want her to have any such female doodads.

We subsequenly learn that daddy has virtually made a SLAVE of his daughter for what he honestly percieves to be a financial necessity.
    Barney comically frees the girl via the underground railway (the squad car)......
    And Andy then returns a metmophosed maiden home (and with the benefit of nearly a century of history) explains to papa how economically more prosporous he might become with a married sharecropper in the family rather than a less than efficient and unhappy spinster slave.

Daddy then logically decides to free his daughter......
    And we may presume that everyone then lives no happier and no sadder that most everyone else ever after.

Cheers.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

My SLAVERY episode.

Ellie, the pharmacist, meets a rural lass who admires various female items in the drugstore. Ellie subsequently decides to generously give some of her "notions" and potions to the unfashionable gal.
    But Andy explains that her daddy probably does not want her to have any such female doodads.

We subsequenly learn that daddy has virtually made a SLAVE of his daughter for what he honestly percieves to be a financial necessity.
    Barney comically frees the girl via the underground railway (the squad car)......
    And Andy then returns a metmophosed maiden home (and with the benefit of nearly a century of history) explains to papa how economically more prosporous he might become with a married sharecropper in the family rather than a less than efficient and unhappy spinster slave.

And we may presume that everyone then lives no happier and no sadder that most everyone else ever after.

Cheers.
    Oh yes, I've seen it. Andy gets her all dolled up and sets her high on the fence. Those 3 farm boys come a runnin. I often wondered which brother won the fight.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

Maybe all three.(sorry. couldn't help it)

So Spiny, what was your favorite episode and why?

In all honesty, Cowpoke......
    I do not have a favorite episode, just as I do not have a favorite flower.
    It was the whole of the series that arranged this beautiful bouquet.

A decent example of what I'm referring to can be found in the THEOLOGY of Mayberry.

I recall an episode that dealt with the question of choir robes v. the church foundation, and another regarding the need for a good church organ, and the visiting preacher episodes, and the "dry as dust" item in Opie's newspaper, and so forth...... But I recall NOT one time when any particular religion or religious sect was either exalted or bashed.

Have you ever noticed that the many views of the church congregation throughout the series reveal a relatively small church without enough pews for even a small percent of the combined Mayberry and environs population?
    And that often...... A number of the regulars on the show are not present when the camera scans the congregation?
    And while some may assume a Baptist church...... I do not recall so much as a hint at any Baptist (or any other) religious reality.

Questions......
    Was there another church (or churches) in or very near Mayberry?
    A Catholic church, a temple, a mosque......?
    Were some (or many) of the Mayberry folk not church people?
    Were there non-Christians, or agnostics, or athiests, or Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or Buddists living amonst the members of the little church in Mayberry.

Answer......
    We do not know.
    What we do know it that the known members of the little Mayberry church went about their Christian lives with CONTENTMENT regarding their relationship with their chosen God......
    And with NOT ONE WORD of contept for any man who did not believe exactly as they believed.

There was no particular episode in the 8 year history of the show that made this point.
    Instead......
    It was the bouquet of the 8 year bloom that preached this gospel of religious contentment and tolerance, without ever pounding any righteous fist on any particular pulpit.

The Andy Griffith Show, in its entirety, is so subtlety scented with so many such simple philosophical bouquets, that attempting to select any one episode as "favorite" is a virtually meaningless endeavor IMNHO.

Cheers.

Cowpoke......
    May I ask a favor?

Would you mind going to the Athiest Holiday thread, to my post #144, and posting anything akin to the following as a reply.

"Read the above. Then read my new signature."

But please......
    Only do so if you share my love of irony and my damn all torpedoes attitude.

Cheers and good night.

Alright Spiny, here's a tough one. Which episode of the AGS directly relates to the healthcare debacle going on right now?

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

My SLAVERY episode.

Cheers.
    Frankie - the fair farm hand - or Francis - the quite a girl

+ Reply to Thread