+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Once upon a time on American television......

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Re: Once upon a time on American television......

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    well said. i admit i haven't seen anywhere near every episode, but i don't remember andy ever trying to seriously bust any moonshiner. in fact, do i recall correctly that he once sat down and sang/played "dooley" with a prominent local moonshiner and his family?
    Dooley, slippin up the holer, Dooley, tryin to make a dollar, Dooley, gimme a swaller and I'll pay ya back some day.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

...once sat down and sang/played "dooley" with a prominent local moonshiner...
    for those who may not know the song, here are the words to the chorus, as i remember them:

dooley, sneakin' up the holler
    dooley, tryin' to make a dollar
    dooley, lemme have a swaller
    and i'll pay ya back someday

come to think of it, maybe it wasn't the moonshiner he was singing with, but the song doesn't seem to be one that would be chosen by a "high sheriff" wanting to bust moonshiners.

eta: sorry, poke. started this reply then walked away and just now got back to it. you must have posted yours in the meantime.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

for those who may not know the song, here are the words to the chorus, as i remember them:

dooley, sneakin' up the holler
    dooley, tryin' to make a dollar
    dooley, lemme have a swaller
    and i'll pay ya back someday

come to think of it, maybe it wasn't the moonshiner he was singing with, but the song doesn't seem to be one that would be chosen by a "high sheriff" wanting to bust moonshiners.

eta: sorry, poke. started this reply then walked away and just now got back to it. you must have posted yours in the meantime.
    It was an episodes with the Darlin's, they were always sippin shine, dont know if they made any.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWILL View Post
    There is an old one about the first football game he saw. If you can find an audio of it it is hillarious.
    This one was about Cleopatra. I don't know if he was on a stool with a guitar. It was on XM radio.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

The CHALLENGE......
    Any author on this board may reference any specific and hotly debated/disputed philosophical or theological issue, and......
    MAYBERRY WILL ANSWER...... Whenever said topic was ever directly or indirectly dealt with amongst all the very entertaining comedy.

Let's have some fun. :icon_wink:

Cheers.[/quote]

I am very much pleased......
    That on this relatively quiet FLAMER'S board, this thread motivated over 1000 views in only 20 days.

And assuming there are not any dawg objections......
    I would once again like to laud the writers of this unique program for creating something SO SPECIAL that it remains able to breed such interest, even 40+ years after the final episode was filmed, and the series was seemingly finished.

I would have preferred more CHALLENGE posts to test the waters that I posited flowed so deeply in the little village near Meyer's lake......
    But alas...... It now appears that was not to be.

SO......
    Unless anyone has an interesting CHALLENGE still lurking in the shadows of this thread......
    I believe it is time to examine Mayberry RACISM......
    And the lesson proffered regarding this topic from a virtually ALL WHITE community in 1960's America.

Tomorrow perhaps......

Cheers and good night.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

RACISM......

In Mayberry, there were no seperate drinking fountains for Negroes.
    (And only the one black fellow remembered earlier by Dawgmatic.)

In Mayberry, Negroes did not have to sit in the back of the bus.
    (There was no local bus service in this homey hamlet.)

In Mayberry, there were no Klan meetings with burning crosses.
    (Only the various lady's clubs, the men's club that blackballed Howard, and a church cross.)

Nevertheless......
    The Andy Griffith Show allegorically sliced deeply into the core of RACISM on numerous occasions, and demonstrated both the reality of RACISM, and its all so very human root cause.

So how was it possible to address RACISM without any more significant "skin color" episode than the sunburn Andy returned to Helen with after enjoying the lady lawyer's pool in Raleigh?

It's possible because skin color is merely the most visible tip of any RACISM iceberg, amidst vast seas of prejudice and intolerance...... And all the lazy laothing to harmful hatred they breed and bequeath.

Throughout the years of The Andy Griffith Show, a parade of characters who were DIFFERENT, and who did not BELONG or MEASURE UP to Mayberry "society", were routinely used to demonstrate how predictable human prejudice and intolerance could
    be defeated with understanding and reason and compassion......
    And result in a HARMONY that did not need to be perfect to be pleasant for ALL involved.

The Darlings......
    Ernest T. Bass......
    Otis Campbell......
    Were the characters most frequently used to demonstate that the decent people of Mayberry did not need to FEAR, and thus HATE, other human beings who were DIFFERENT.

But there was one particlar episode that thoroughly and succintly SCREAMED this injurious FEAR to healthy HARMONY theme the loudest.

A STRANGER arrives in Mayberry.
    He knows everyone's name and occupation.
    He knows all the STUFF and gossip that ONLY Mayberry folk should know.
    He attempts to purchase a local business for the asking price...... But he is refused.
    He attempts to court a (white) girl...... But he is rebuffed.
    FEAR of this fellow spreads thoughtout the Mayberry community.
    An angry mob of otherwise peaceful and decent Mayberry citizens confront and threaten the STRANGER who has not HARMED so much as one blond hair on an Aunt Bee wig.

And just when this harsh HATRED spawned by FEAR is ripe to explode with HARM......
    UNDERSTANDING and REASON transform intolerance into tolerance, and the resulting COMPASSION begins its healing HARMONY.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely doubt that human beings will ever reach a meaningfull plateau in thier mental v. animal developement when they routinely gain the ability to FEAR only what obviously needs to be FEARED......
    And cease their categorical FEAR of ANYTHING that is DIFFERENT......
    But otherwise benign......
    And no unjust or unhealthy threat to their HUMAN being.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Just a few more replies and a comment for now......

The comment......
    For any dawg who sincerely believes I may have read more into any Mayberry philosophy than was meant by its writers/CREATORS......
    You may be absolutely correct...... Or not!

However......
    I claim BIBLICAL LICENSE to interpret any Andy episode(s) as honestly as my little grey cells are capable of......
    And with as much sincereity as the little grey cells of any Christian, while deciding any personally preferred interpretation of the Bible.

If any dawg who has read my Mayberry meanderings on this thread honestly believes I may have BLASPHEMED any Mayberry writers/CREATORS......
    I offer the following in my unneeded (to me) defense.

Not one war......
    Not one death......
    And not even a tavern fistfight......
    Will ever result from my personal/preferred interpretation of any possible Mayberry mystery.

Cheers.

well said. i admit i haven't seen anywhere near every episode, but i don't remember andy ever trying to seriously bust any moonshiner. in fact, do i recall correctly that he once sat down and sang/played "dooley" with a prominent local moonshiner and his family?
    Prompted by another post......
    I Googled (a "computer skill" I learned to do from dawgland) something like Darling Family episodes on the Andy Griffith Show.

To my surprise......
    Not only did I learn there were 6 such episodes......
    I also a found a complete chronological list of every episode (by season) with a brief description of each episode's content.

After reading the entire list......
    I now know that I seen every eposode of The Andy Griffith Show.

Check it out if you care to......
    You may learn, as I did, that you have seen more of Mayberry than you think.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    It was an episodes with the Darlin's, they were always sippin shine, dont know if they made any.
    Just for the record......
    And to suggest how often a stereotype may be unable to fly any greater distance than a pig......

While Briscoe played the JUG.....
    And despite the fact that Briscoe mentioned that the Darlings (unlike Aunt Bee) made their muffins with sour mash......
    Not only were the Darlings were not "always sippin shine"......
    I do not recall a single instance when so much a drop of illegel or legal alcohol ever touched a Darling lip.

Cheers. :icon_wink:

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

The only one's I ever remember seeing actually drink any shine was Otis and Barney. As Andy would say he was "gassed".

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Just for the record......
    And to suggest how often a stereotype may be unable to fly any greater distance than a pig......

While Briscoe played the JUG.....
    And despite the fact that Briscoe mentioned that the Darlings (unlike Aunt Bee) made their muffins with sour mash......
    Not only were the Darlings were not "always sippin shine"......
    I do not recall a single instance when so much a drop of illegel or legal alcohol ever touched a Darling lip.

Cheers. :icon_wink:
    I believe they called them "mullberry squeezins". If you remember, Barney got a little tipsy drinkin some at Opie's betrothal signing.

I believe they called them "mullberry squeezins". If you remember, Barney got a little tipsy drinkin some at Opie's betrothal signing.
    Close enough for me......

I have truly enjoyed this thread.
    My thanks for your many Mayberry contributions.

Cheers.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

The episode about the Negro football player aired this weekend.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I think my favorite episode dealing with honesty would have to be the episode about Mr Mc Beevees. You remember, the man Opie said could walk around in the trees, blow smoke from his ears and hand 12 extra hands. Most certainly a classic.

Probably my favorite episode (if I have one) as well. Toward the end of the episode Barney says to Andy "you don't believe in this Mr McBeevy guy do you" and Andy says "No but I believe in Opie". That just about brought me to tears. No one was happier than Andy when this seemingly unbelieveable character turns out to be totally explainable. I guess if I were to examine that on a deeper level it could be said that Mr. McBeevy was God, and even though it seemed totally illogical to believe in him Andy had faith and upon his actual meeting him it all made sence.

You guys have examined this show on a very deep level. Mostly I have enjoyed it for it's pure entertainment value but the life lessons are hard to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Probably my favorite episode (if I have one) as well. Toward the end of the episode Barney says to Andy "you don't believe in this Mr McBeevy guy do you" and Andy says "No but I believe in Opie". That just about brought me to tears. No one was happier than Andy when this seemingly unbelieveable character turns out to be totally explainable. I guess if I were to examine that on a deeper level it could be said that Mr. McBeevy was God, and even though it seemed totally illogical to believe in him Andy had faith and upon his actual meeting him it all made sence.

You guys have examined this show on a very deep level. Mostly I have enjoyed it for it's pure entertainment value but the life lessons are hard to miss.
    Never thought about it like that so I went back and watched again. Hard to pick a favorite for me but that one is in the mix for sure. FYI you can watch nearly any episode on youtube.

+ Reply to Thread