+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mid-year budget cuts

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

mid-year budget cuts

Anybody heard how the latest budget cuts will affect us? I heard nearly $3 million. Any idea where we'll cut? I know DR wants to continue to protect faculty and staff. Is that possible with a cut like this?

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Re: mid-year budget cuts

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Anybody heard how the latest budget cuts will affect us? I heard nearly $3 million. Any idea where we'll cut? I know DR wants to continue to protect faculty and staff. Is that possible with a cut like this?
    I hope it's only $3 Mil...

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    I hope it's only $3 Mil...
    Very good source says that it is. I know it could be worse, but that's a pretty hefty mid-year cut. All had hoped this might be next fall's cut--let's just hope there's not more to come.

Big Dog Darbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the roughDarbonnedawg is a jewel in the rough

$2.8 mil

Very good source says that it is.
    As I said--very good source:

First and foremost, let me begin by wishing each of you a happy and healthy New Year! We have a lot to be thankful for.
    As most of you are probably aware, we have been notified that Louisiana Tech University would again be faced with a mid-year budget cut of $2,874,828. This, of course, is in addition to the mid-year budget cut of $2,656,359 sustained from FY 2008-09 and the budget cut of $4,535,755 as we began the FY 2009-2010. In addition, we had to absorb approximately $1,300,000 of mandated costs that were passed on to the University. The cumulative effect is a reduction in funding of $11,366,942. The numbers are significant. The process has been and continues to be painful.
    When we developed our current budget, we anticipated further cuts and budgeted with that in mind. Every area of the university was impacted. In addition, it has been necessary to reduce funded positions, cut operating budgets, reduce travel, defer maintenance, and rescind previous approvals to fill positions. Your January ledger sheets will reflect the budget cuts to your operating budgets.
    The good news is that we submitted our reductions yesterday and were able to do so without having to initiate furloughs.
    I wish I could tell you that we’ve seen the last of budget reductions, but I can’t. My goal continues to be to move forward as an institution focused on academic excellence, student support, innovative research and economic development. We have made great strides with your help and support and I appreciate each and every one of you.
    Daniel D. Reneau, President

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

In addition, it has been necessary to reduce funded positions,
    The good news is that we submitted our reductions yesterday and were able to do so without having to initiate furloughs.
    Do you think this means some faculty will be dismissed? Rescinding previous approvals to fill positions wouldn't save any money in this year's budget would it?

Big Dog DrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to allDrDawg is a name known to all

I wouldn't think there would be any faculty dismissals as are result of this cut. If there are any open spots, those positions may be eliminated entirely though I would guess.

+ Reply to Thread