+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Grass

NO THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT POT

I thought that since I have quite extensive knowledge about growing grass (sod) I would offer my advice here for anyone that has questions about having the best looking lawn you can have. I can also answer some questions about landscape plants but those are a bit more tricky. So fire away if you have any questions or concerns about your lawn or landscape.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Re: Grass

How and when do you attempt to kill crabgrass?

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Every spring I get these nasty sandburs in the back yard. They get in the dog, shoelaces, etc, get tracked in the house and you step on them in the middle of the night (ouch). My back yard is really too big to sod and water consistently. I would prefer a method that I could treat it once a year and forget it. I don't care what other weeds I get back there, as long as it is not THAT weed.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    How and when do you attempt to kill crabgrass?

Ato, the best way to get rid of crabgrass is to never let it germinate. You do this by applying a pre-emergent before it comes up, usually about the time most people start to take interest in their lawn for the year. Once the soil temp hits about 65 crabgrass will start to come up. I put down a single application on St. Aug, Centipede in Feb and I do split applications on Bermuda in Feb and March. Once it is up it's tough to get rid of. MSMA works on Bermuda.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Every spring I get these nasty sandburs in the back yard. They get in the dog, shoelaces, etc, get tracked in the house and you step on them in the middle of the night (ouch). My back yard is really too big to sod and water consistently. I would prefer a method that I could treat it once a year and forget it. I don't care what other weeds I get back there, as long as it is not THAT weed.

There used to be a great herbicide for sand bur called Confront (chloropyrilid, triclypor). The EPA restricted it to golf courses. If you know some one you might find it. You can try a product called Spotlight or look for something with a that is labled for that weed. I'll check to see what you might be able to buy at a garden center.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Any way to get bahayah (sp?) out other than just digging it up? I've thought about using a ropewick/roundup contraption on it.

Best grass in shade (approx. 75%)?

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Any way to get bahayah (sp?) out other than just digging it up? I've thought about using a ropewick/roundup contraption on it.

I got rid of most of the bahia in my yard by putting out lime to increase the pH and by mowing it frequently to keep it very short. This got rid of the majority of it.

For what was left I went to a farm co-op store and got a chemical designed for bahia and sprayed it on the remaining bahia. Most of it is still there. Digging it up also works.

I took samples of soil to the county agent and he sent it off for analysis. The analysis told me how much lime to put out. For the bahia area I put our more lime than recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

metsulfuronmethel, goes by the brand name Manor. Works great on bahaia.

There is nothing better than St. Aug in the shade. 75% though is about the max you can grow St. Aug. Sounds like you are not having success with that so there is another option. With that much shade you could plant Tall Fescue. It will stay green all winter and you will have to mow it during the winter months but it will survive the hot summers in heavy shade. Most of the time when I have a customer that is dealing with that type of situation I recomend that they stop trying to grow grass where it doesn't want to grow and landscape the area. Azaleas are great in shade and paving stones and ground cover are another option.

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    I got rid of most of the bahia in my yard by putting out lime to increase the pH and by mowing it frequently to keep it very short. This got rid of the majority of it.

For what was left I went to a farm co-op store and got a chemical designed for bahia and sprayed it on the remaining bahia. Most of it is still there. Digging it up also works.

I took samples of soil to the county agent and he sent it off for analysis. The analysis told me how much lime to put out. For the bahia area I put our more lime than recommended.

Depending on the herbicide they gave you it was either the wrong one or it was misapplied. One thing that most do it yourselfers commonly do is miscalculate the rate to apply. You also have to reapply some herbicides a second or third time within a timeframe. A lot of people miss that as well. If you have a particular herbicide that you are trying to apply and you are not sure let me know and I will give you detailed instructions.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

My backyard is more of a New Orleans style courtyard. It gets plenty of sun but I can't keep it from dying. I've had it sodded 3 times before and it always dies. First there are a couple of bare spots then the whole yard croaks. I do have three little dogs that use it frequently and I tried using pellitized lime but it only killed the grass.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    metsulfuronmethel, goes by the brand name Manor. Works great on bahaia.

There is nothing better than St. Aug in the shade. 75% though is about the max you can grow St. Aug. Sounds like you are not having success with that so there is another option. With that much shade you could plant Tall Fescue. It will stay green all winter and you will have to mow it during the winter months but it will survive the hot summers in heavy shade. Most of the time when I have a customer that is dealing with that type of situation I recomend that they stop trying to grow grass where it doesn't want to grow and landscape the area. Azaleas are great in shade and paving stones and ground cover are another option.
    We have fescue at our place in Atlanta and it is awesome. Great to walk on barefoot.

Used to pull bahia out of my front yard with my fingers every Saturday morning in the summer when I lived in Florida.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    My backyard is more of a New Orleans style courtyard. It gets plenty of sun but I can't keep it from dying. I've had it sodded 3 times before and it always dies. First there are a couple of bare spots then the whole yard croaks. I do have three little dogs that use it frequently and I tried using pellitized lime but it only killed the grass.

Let's get together and I will help you come up with a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    We have fescue at our place in Atlanta and it is awesome. Great to walk on barefoot.

Used to pull bahia out of my front yard with my fingers every Saturday morning in the summer when I lived in Florida.

Fescue is great but is not good for this far south. It just will not survive the summer. There is a variety of Bahia that is grown in Fla. and used as turf. I don't recommend it. Anyone that has every had to cut the variety we have here knows it's a bit like trying to cut baling wire with a dull knife.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Let's get together and I will help you come up with a plan.

Sounds good. Give me a quote on regular service and we'll do some bidness fer sure.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Sounds good. Give me a quote on regular service and we'll do some bidness fer sure.
    No problem. I got a really good deal for you.

+ Reply to Thread