+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Re: Grass

i have mature silver maples in my yard and almost none of my grass is outside the root zone. these trees have some type of disease, and i'm afraid the weed/feed i was using might have weakened them, causing them to be more suceptible to the disease. i quit using the stuff last year. now my st. augustine grass is beautiful in mid summer, but full of weeds in the spring/fall. is there anything i can put out for the weeds that won't hurt my trees?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    can anyone tell me what this is and how to kill it. My neighbors let their yards get overrun with it and now it is creeping into my yard. It has the little white flowering tips.

What you are dealing with is Poa Annua. It's in the Kentucky Bluegrass family. This weed has become resistant to herbicides. Atrazine use to take it out but I'm not getting the same results now. I'm currently trying a product called Certainty. I will let you know how it works. The good news is that will some heat it will die out since it is a winter grass. By the way those little white flowering tips are the seeds and as you can tell they produce a lot of them which is why it is such a tough weed to control. I've been using Simazine 4L at 1lb active per acre in two split applications (2lbs total) in the fall with good results but in some areas it is even become resistant to that program. If you have a Lesco branch nearby ask someone there.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i have mature silver maples in my yard and almost none of my grass is outside the root zone. these trees have some type of disease, and i'm afraid the weed/feed i was using might have weakened them, causing them to be more suceptible to the disease. i quit using the stuff last year. now my st. augustine grass is beautiful in mid summer, but full of weeds in the spring/fall. is there anything i can put out for the weeds that won't hurt my trees?

Bob, I would find a good preemergent like simazine and use that in the fall. I've never had any problems with trees using simazine. Sounds like you need to address the tree problems though. You should call a licensed arborist.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    can anyone tell me what this is and how to kill it. My neighbors let their yards get overrun with it and now it is creeping into my yard. It has the little white flowering tips.
    I hate to tell you Ben, but --

That is marijuana.

(Maybe you should have put this in the Pawlitics forum.)

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

My parents house has a 50 year old St Augustine yard with huge pine trees. The grass used to be thick, and beautiful, but now it is very thin and even bare ground showing in some areas. What is wrong? Is it the pine trees? Could it be that the clippings are bagged now when mowing?

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Just my luck

I tried to save $13 by scooping up a bucket of fertilizer under one of our tender trailers. Everything was fine for a few days and then I noticed the weeds turning white. Now my whole yard is white and my knock out roses have green, white and pink leaves (actually pretty). I didn't know the residual fertilizer had been impregnated with a preemerge chemical called Command. Everything should turn green again in a few weeks (I hope).

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Thanks Gonzo! It is tough to knock out. I will see is there is a Lesco somewhere in DFW.

Boyd, while I must defer to your expertise on that particular type of weed, I will say growing up in the country I have seen people growing it, and that would be the most underachieving crop in the history of the world.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

My yard has moles digging around. My neighbor has had them for a couple of years. I finally got infested a couple of weeks back.

I heard mothballs, but I'm not putting those out in my yard. Traps? Do they work? Anything else? Timik maybe?

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

tactical nukes
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    tactical nukes
    I've got a call in to this guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    tactical nukes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXY8F...eature=related

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Will pulling up dandelions by the root get rid of them eventually?

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    yep
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    No, moles could care less if your yard has dandelions or not.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Took care of my crabgrass by putting a preventive down, now looking to bolster the grass in the yard. Do the grass mixes in the store choke out weeds like clover? I am thinking about putting Weed B Gone down and then putting grass seeds down. Any particular type of mixture I should put down?

+ Reply to Thread