+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Grass

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    Hydroseeding.
    Is it a good alternative to sod?
    What are the pros vs reg seeding.

I just had my yard hydromulched. The mixture that was used was pretty heavy and thick. We got a lot of rain after it had been down for about 8 days. None of mine washed at all. I may have gotten lucky as far as that goes. I did have to water it for 15-20 minutes twice per day for the first week. Then once a day for a week after. Now I just water every other day. 3500 square feet and it looks great. It was a mixture of bermuda and centipede. The bermuda came right up and the centipede will take most of the summer to come in and start taking over. I spent about $225 less than I would have if we had sodded, and I didn't have to pick it up and haul it, or lay it. My experience was good, but like I said, I may have hit it at the right time.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Hydroseeding gets better coverage and gets you grass quicker than seeding.

Gonzo can go into detail, but none of it works well if your soil is not prepared correctly or if it doesn't have the right "stuff" in it.
    This is another great point. I mixed in several bags of lime when I tilled the soil with my PTO tiller behind a tractor. That got the soil in better shape, because it is mostly red clay. Also, I was able to spray the soil after tilling to kill any weeds that may have come up. Also, after tilling, be sure to allow several weeks for the soil to settle. it takes several good rains and then dragging with a pallet to accomplish this. It is still a lot of work, but can be done easily with the right equipment.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Tactical Nukes yes but in lieu of those the traps are good. Just know that you have to stay after them. Find the active tunnels and don't stop till you have eliminate every last one of them.

Side note: Moles primary diet is earthworms not grubs. Killing the grubs will not eliminate the moles. There is also a product called Talprid that looks like a tray of fishing lures. You place them in the tunnels cover them up. Mole eats what it thinks is an earthworm, dies. They are also made by Bayer.
    Ever heard of putting bubble gum in the trench? I heard this one indirectly from a greens keeper. My 11 year old is into this method getting rid of them.

Varsity Bulldog Nuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the roughNuke Dawg is a jewel in the rough Nuke Dawg's Avatar

Gonzo, Is there anything out there that will take care of Virginia Buttonweed? It is spreading over the top of my St. Augustine and choking it out. I've tried Atrazine to no avail and someone mentioned Ferti-Lome's "Weed Free Zone". Not sure what the active ingredient is in that product but I haven't tried it yet.
    Nuke

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I just had my yard hydromulched. The mixture that was used was pretty heavy and thick. We got a lot of rain after it had been down for about 8 days. None of mine washed at all. I may have gotten lucky as far as that goes. I did have to water it for 15-20 minutes twice per day for the first week. Then once a day for a week after. Now I just water every other day. 3500 square feet and it looks great. It was a mixture of bermuda and centipede. The bermuda came right up and the centipede will take most of the summer to come in and start taking over. I spent about $225 less than I would have if we had sodded, and I didn't have to pick it up and haul it, or lay it. My experience was good, but like I said, I may have hit it at the right time.
    I hope you are right about the centipede taking over, but I have seen very little take over or take out bermuda. I have been fighting it for four years in my yard. I seeded centipede got it established only to have the bermuda take over the following spring. After trying to work with the bermuda for one season I started all over (burn down, till, leveled, waited for rain burned down that flush of weeds/grass then sodded saphire st. aug. Two weeks after I sodded I noticed bermuda in my sodI know for a fact that it came in the sod . I happened to be by the turf farm a month or so ago and asked the main man about this and he said the st. aug should out compete the bermuda. I am still skeptical because to my eye bermuda is getting bigger and I am tired of pulling it up

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

What happens if you smoke the hydroseeded grass?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    What happens if you smoke the hydroseeded grass?
    major case of the munchies AND thirsties
    Originally Posted by champion110
    I am less angry this morning and ready to get back up on the horse. That girl was a freak last night.

Originally Posted by champion110
    In fact, I finally had to tell her to stop over the last weekend, because I was worn out and needed a break.

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    I hope you are right about the centipede taking over, but I have seen very little take over or take out bermuda. I have been fighting it for four years in my yard. I seeded centipede got it established only to have the bermuda take over the following spring. After trying to work with the bermuda for one season I started all over (burn down, till, leveled, waited for rain burned down that flush of weeds/grass then sodded saphire st. aug. Two weeks after I sodded I noticed bermuda in my sodI know for a fact that it came in the sod . I happened to be by the turf farm a month or so ago and asked the main man about this and he said the st. aug should out compete the bermuda. I am still skeptical because to my eye bermuda is getting bigger and I am tired of pulling it up
    right now, any grass in my yard is appreciated, because it was mud before.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Ever heard of putting bubble gum in the trench? I heard this one indirectly from a greens keeper. My 11 year old is into this method getting rid of them.
    A cat will kill them deader than a door nail. I didn't even know I had moles until I adopted a stray cat. I've received 3 dead moles as gifts.

Varsity Bulldog Bayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to all Bayou Dawg's Avatar

Any solution for nut grass in the flower beds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Dawg View Post
    I don't know, but I pull it all the time in mine. I need the solution as well.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Dawg View Post
    Image, it's safe to spray over the top of most landscape plants. Be sure you read the label and apply at the correct rate.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    right now, any grass in my yard is appreciated, because it was mud before.

From what I have seen Centipede seed is very diffiicult to germanate. I would be surprised if it comes up. Stick with the bermuda any way. The lime is fine for the bermuda but not for centipede, centipede perfers an acidic soil, lime raises the Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke Dawg View Post
    Gonzo, Is there anything out there that will take care of Virginia Buttonweed? It is spreading over the top of my St. Augustine and choking it out. I've tried Atrazine to no avail and someone mentioned Ferti-Lome's "Weed Free Zone". Not sure what the active ingredient is in that product but I haven't tried it yet.
    Nuke

Atrazine is primarily a pre emergent weed control. I use a combination of weed controls. Certainty, Turflon and Quicksilver works, however this new weed control controls it with no problems by itself. Celsius if you can find it or call someone in the business. Other than that any herbicide that controls buttonweed you risk damaging your St. Aug if you apply it heavy enough to do any good.

Thanks a new one on me let me know how it works and what flavor.

+ Reply to Thread