+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Re: Grass

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I live in south Georgia (temps pretty similar to SBC, I think). Can I sow Centipede seed this time of year and expect anything to come up?

Brian, in my experience centipede seed is no good. Your best method for establishing centipede is through sod. The 1st thing I would consider though is the Ph. Centipede prefers an acidic soil, around 5 and definitely no higher than 6. If you do choose to seed, wait until after the last frost. Lightly till the soil or rake it heavily, put your seed down at 2 lbs per thousand square feet. Once you seed you need to water twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening for 10 mins or so. Just enough so the seed stays moist. You could apply some fertilizer that is high in phosphorus to help the seed germinate. Once the seed is up you can apply a more balanced fertilizer to grow it in.

Some things to know about Centipede. It has been sold as a lazy mans grass. For years people believed you didn't have to fertilize it, you didn't have to water is, and you don't have to mow it very often. All of which are true if you don't mind you lawn looking like crap. Centipede is apple green in it's natural color. Not very attractive. If you fertilize it you cannot apply more that 1-2 lbs of nitrogen per thousand sq.ft. per year because it will develop a lot of thatch and eventually die. I give it a good dose of fert. in the Spring to get it going and then treat it with iron to keep it green all year. To get the best results you have to mow it at 1-1.5 inches. This means contrary to what has been sold to people you have to mow more often. Allowing it to grow too high results in what has been called "centipede decline". Which means in my opinion "it just dies and we don't know why so we made up a name for it". Also it needs to be watered just like every other plant in the world other than cactus. Can centipede make an attractive lawn, you bet. It's just not the "lazy mans" grass that it has been sold as.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was always partial to homegrown.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I was always partial to homegrown.
    You didnt read the initial post.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Brian, in my experience centipede seed is no good. Your best method for establishing centipede is through sod. The 1st thing I would consider though is the Ph. Centipede prefers an acidic soil, around 5 and definitely no higher than 6. If you do choose to seed, wait until after the last frost. Lightly till the soil or rake it heavily, put your seed down at 2 lbs per thousand square feet. Once you seed you need to water twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening for 10 mins or so. Just enough so the seed stays moist. You could apply some fertilizer that is high in phosphorus to help the seed germinate. Once the seed is up you can apply a more balanced fertilizer to grow it in.

Some things to know about Centipede. It has been sold as a lazy mans grass. For years people believed you didn't have to fertilize it, you didn't have to water is, and you don't have to mow it very often. All of which are true if you don't mind you lawn looking like crap. Centipede is apple green in it's natural color. Not very attractive. If you fertilize it you cannot apply more that 1-2 lbs of nitrogen per thousand sq.ft. per year because it will develop a lot of thatch and eventually die. I give it a good dose of fert. in the Spring to get it going and then treat it with iron to keep it green all year. To get the best results you have to mow it at 1-1.5 inches. This means contrary to what has been sold to people you have to mow more often. Allowing it to grow too high results in what has been called "centipede decline". Which means in my opinion "it just dies and we don't know why so we made up a name for it". Also it needs to be watered just like every other plant in the world other than cactus. Can centipede make an attractive lawn, you bet. It's just not the "lazy mans" grass that it has been sold as.
    Thanks for the tips. I am only looking at Centipede because my lawn is the only non-Centipede lawn in the neighborhood. I also like that it seems to do a better job of keeping out weeds (in contrast to my Bermuda).

Varsity Bulldog Bayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to allBayou Dawg is a name known to all Bayou Dawg's Avatar

Now is the best time to lay down centipede sod, when it is dormant. If you wait till spring or summer, you'll spend a lot of time watering the sod till it takes.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Yo GOnzo. 620 Huron..just off of Line Avenue. Front yard only. You'll know which one is mine. The one with no grass! Have your guys check it out and let me know what you can do for me. Thanks, Ross BTW: I love trading-out goods and services:icon_wink:
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Yo GOnzo. 620 Huron..just off of Line Avenue. Front yard only. You'll know which one is mine. The one with no grass! Have your guys check it out and let me know what you can do for me. Thanks, Ross BTW: I love trading-out goods and services:icon_wink:

Ross,

Sorry it took me so long to catch this. I'll be out of town all next week but when I get back we'll work something out.

C

Benton Field 6-24-11.jpg

Some of my handiwork.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Ross,

Sorry it took me so long to catch this. I'll be out of town all next week but when I get back we'll work something out.

C
    Sounds good. Too damn hot and dry for new sod now anyway.

Well, here we go again another season or trying to grow grass in the South. Hopefully we'll have a better year weather wise this go around. We certainly have a good crop of weeds to start the year. How's your lawn looking? and no time like the present to start working on it. Check us out on facebook if you are into that sort of thing. It's a new endeavor for me and a work in progress but your feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green...85816808151751

620 Huron...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

put out my pre-emerge. Just got all that rain and my yard is so soggy I can't work on it any. I am hoping it dries out and grows well, but I am not even going to try to put out weed n feed until well after Easter. Weeds are rampant in my yard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    put out my pre-emerge. Just got all that rain and my yard is so soggy I can't work on it any. I am hoping it dries out and grows well, but I am not even going to try to put out weed n feed until well after Easter. Weeds are rampant in my yard as well.
    Where do you live? You definitely did the right thing getting that pre-emerge down now. As warm as it is the crabgrass will probably be up early. Did the pre-emerge product not have any post emerge in with it? Either way you should be in good shape but sometimes putting down that post while the lawn is in transition can set it back a bit.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Tech05, What type of grass do you have? Good call on waiting till after easter to fertilize. Wait until after the grass greens up. You might consider skipping the weed and feed all together. Please don't "scalp" your lawn on the first mowing as it will encourage more weed germination.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    620 Huron...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Market, is your lawn heavily shaded? What type of grass did you originally have in your lawn?

+ Reply to Thread