+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Grass

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Re: Grass

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Huron...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180
    Please don't "scalp"
    Magua is Huron. He will scalp you, eat your heart, and enslave your children.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Market, is your lawn heavily shaded? What type of grass did you originally have in your lawn?
    Gonzo is going to come by and help me out. My yard is shaded by three large oaks and some sweetgums. I had green grass originally:icon_wink:. I quit watering this summer in order to help/abide with the voluntary water restrictions and it got toasted. It has been going downhill for a couple of years. The dirt/clay soil got baked/compacted so it is definitely needing a major overhaul. It's going to take a pro like Gonzo and his guys to get me back in the good graces of the neighborhood (yardwise).
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

I've seen a lot of the yards in that area and figured it might be shady. If they are live oaks it's going to be hard to get things going unless you want to sod it every couple of years. St. Aug is the most shade tolerant but it still needs some sun. Some people claim zoysia will take a lot of shade, but in my experience that's not neccesaily the case.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I've seen a lot of the yards in that area and figured it might be shady. If they are live oaks it's going to be hard to get things going unless you want to sod it every couple of years. St. Aug is the most shade tolerant but it still needs some sun. Some people claim zoysia will take a lot of shade, but in my experience that's not neccesaily the case.
    Eagle is right. St. Aug is about as shade tolerant as you can get, it will "survive" in up to 70% shade. Once you surpass that point it may be best to convert to ground cover or some other type of landscape planting. I for one do not like to fight losing battles and trying to grow grass in that much shade is definitely a losing battle. When you add compacted clay soils to the mix then the challenge is increased 10 fold. We'll have to see what we can do for Market.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Where do you live? You definitely did the right thing getting that pre-emerge down now. As warm as it is the crabgrass will probably be up early. Did the pre-emerge product not have any post emerge in with it? Either way you should be in good shape but sometimes putting down that post while the lawn is in transition can set it back a bit.
    Just a pre treatment. Choudrant, so I am still soaked. Didn't want to kill anything by promoting it to grow early.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech05, What type of grass do you have? Good call on waiting till after easter to fertilize. Wait until after the grass greens up. You might consider skipping the weed and feed all together. Please don't "scalp" your lawn on the first mowing as it will encourage more weed germination.
    Never scalp, I probably could set my mower lower and still be good, but won't.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I hate to disagree with you guys but scalping the lawn once in the spring is a great idea. Getting rid of the old dormant material will help prevent thatch buildup and encourage a quicker green up. You shouldn't do it until after the last frost and your should only do it once for St. Augustine. Once St. Aug has been scalped you have to raise the mower back up to the highest setting to get the best results however for Centipede lower mower heights are required and for Bermuda or Hybrid Bermuda mowing heights as low as 1" get better results. My hybrid bermuda lawn I would scalp 2 or 3 times a year with no negative effects. I didn't have a reel mower so it would build up thatch quickly and the only way to even the color was to scalp it.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

I have areas in my yard that have two-three different grasses. Is there anyway to kill certain types, or would I have to kill it all, and start from scratch?

What grass types do you have? and what would you like to keep? It's possible to take St. Aug and Centipede out of Bermuda (but not for long, MSMA will be gone after this year). It's possible to take Bermuda out of Centipede but not St. Aug.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    What grass types do you have? and what would you like to keep? It's possible to take St. Aug and Centipede out of Bermuda (but not for long, MSMA will be gone after this year). It's possible to take Bermuda out of Centipede but not St. Aug.
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I believe its centipede, with bermuda mixed in. In some areas, it's great, but other areas have a mix.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by splicer View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I believe its centipede, with bermuda mixed in. In some areas, it's great, but other areas have a mix.
    Splicer, How big is your yard? You might want to consider leaving the areas of good grass and renovating the mixed grass areas. It's very easy to spend a lot of money on chemicals and not get the desired result.

everything in the beds is starting to sprout and bud. Yard is still a soaking mess. Probably going to have to spread some sand in the lower areas. That way grass can grow through and hopefully level everything up better.

Techman, Do you have a drainage problem or just isolated low spots from erosion or a bad grading job? Be careful not to cover the grass too deeply with sand.

Techman, Do you have a drainage problem or just isolated low spots from erosion or a bad grading job? Be careful not to cover the grass too deeply with sand.
    I am going to put sand out after I put out weed and feed. Probably no more than about an inch of thickness at time. Just have fill in some low spots holding water. That is what I was told by Twin Oaks here in town.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I used to have great grass in my front yard. Bugs did a big number on it. I think now there is no grass left at all. Nothing but weeds. I guess my only recourse is to bust it up and re-sod?
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread