+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Andre Dawson headed to the HOF.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

Andre Dawson headed to the HOF.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=chc

I find some of the names on the ballot interesting. Also, our own David Segui recieved one vote. Wish I knew who that was.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Re: Andre Dawson headed to the HOF.

Congrats Hawk!!! Loved watching him at Wrigley when I was a kid. Some of his Expo teams were loaded as well.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

About time. The Hawk deserves it. Eight Gold Gloves, over 400 HRs and over 300 steal (1 of only 3 people with said accomplishment, soon to be 4 when A-Rod does it). Everybody else with similar stats were already in, and most of them probably didnt have the defensive awards he did. I guess his relatively low BA and OBP hurt him, but you have to look at the time he played also. Hitting 49 bombs was an accomplishment 20 years ago.

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

He was the only one selected to go in this year fromt he BWAA (Baseball Writers Association of America). He will join manager Whitey Herzog and umpire Doug Harvey, who were elected in December by a Veterans Committee. Big accomplishment and some very near misses on that list.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I guess his relatively low BA and OBP hurt him, but you have to look at the time he played also.
    I think playing for the Expos and on those dreaded Cubs teams hurt him worse...

He had a G-U-N for a right arm, probably the most respected OF by baserunners in his day...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Hooray!!! He was an outstanding baseball player and this is overdue. He finally got over 75% on his 9th year of eligibility. I follow baseball but I can't understand why some voters waited so long to vote for him. What kind of statement were they making?

I wonder how the votes will go for guys like Jeff Bagwell when he comes up on the ballot. Although I not aware that he ever admitted steroid use there have been rumors. Were there rumors about Andre Dawson?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Not that I'm aware of - accept for the monster 49 dingers in 87 he was pretty consistent when he was healthy 20+ avg - its not like he went to 40+ for 3 or 4 seasons and then dropped back -

The Cubs were so bad in 87 they pitched to him and if he hit it out it did not matter :bigcry:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...awsoan01.shtml
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Hooray!!! He was an outstanding baseball player and this is overdue. He finally got over 75% on his 9th year of eligibility. I follow baseball but I can't understand why some voters waited so long to vote for him. What kind of statement were they making?

I wonder how the votes will go for guys like Jeff Bagwell when he comes up on the ballot. Although I not aware that he ever admitted steroid use there have been rumors. Were there rumors about Andre Dawson?
    Not that I know of. I dont understand the Hall of Fame voting some times, but they use the how many times it took you to get in as a gauge of how dominant/well-known you were. Look at Bert Blyleven, had a good career but just barely hall of fame worthy, which is why he will only get in on his 14th or 15th try it seems like. Dawson had a solid, Hall of Fame career, but not one of the best of all-time, so he gets in after 8 or 9 tries out of 15. I think many use the 15 years as a gauge of when they will vote for a guy.

Look at Alomar, definite first ballot numbers for a middle infielder of prime 10 years ago that is, but he is punished for spitting in the ump's face. There is some morality in the Hall of Fame voting for sure.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I've always wished to be a baseball HOF voter. My vote would go to anyone that I believe worthy of the HOF and he would get my vote the first year and every year afterwards. If, in my opinion, he is not HOF worthy he would never get my vote. I would not use my vote to make a statement which, as we all know, has been done.

Another explanation is that the voting baseball writers change enough from year to year to change the outcome after several years. Maybe the older voters retire or die and the newer voters only know the guy's reputation and not the guy.

+ Reply to Thread