+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One man's mission to create a living mind inside a machine.

Champ bulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the rough bulldog_in_baton_rouge's Avatar

One man's mission to create a living mind inside a machine.

What Markram's project amounts to is an audacious attempt to build a computerised copy of a brain - starting with a rat's brain, then progressing to a human brain - inside one of the world's most powerful computers. This, it is hoped, will bring into being a sentient mind that will be able to think, reason, express will, lay down memories and perhaps even experience love, anger, sadness, pain and joy.
    'We will do it by 2018,' says the professor confidently. 'We need a lot of money, but I am getting it. There are few scientists in the world with the resources I have at my disposal.'

There is, inevitably, scepticism. But even Markram's critics mostly accept that he is on to something and, most importantly, that he has the money.
    Tens of millions of euros are flooding into his laboratory at the Brain Mind Institute at the Ecole Polytechnique in Lausanne - paymasters include the Swiss government, the EU and private backers, including the computer giant IBM. Artificial minds are, it seems, big business.

Champ mikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond reputemikedog has a reputation beyond repute mikedog's Avatar

Re: One man's mission to create a living mind inside a machine.

Why in the world would we want a computer that thinks for itself? Show these people the Matrix trilogy or the Terminator series.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikedog View Post
    Why in the world would we want a computer that thinks for itself? Show these people the Matrix trilogy or the Terminator series.
    The research would be directly applicable to treating conditions of the human brain....and uploading your mind so you can live forever.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Varsity Bulldog dmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the roughdmcguirt23 is a jewel in the rough

SKYNET IS GOING ONLINE. We've made a HUGE MISTAKE.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mikedog View Post

Acorn can register it to vote...... forever.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

This is very interesting, but I wonder how practical it is to try to evolve human-like intelligence (including state of consciousness) from rat intelligence. I guess if you had a model for a rat you could run many different "evolution" scenarios simultaneously, but it seems like you would need tons of computing power to get there with such a brute force method.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 01-07-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    This is very interesting, but I wonder how practical it is to try to evolve human-like intelligence (including state of consciousness) from rat intelligence. I guess if you had a model for a rat you could run many different "evolution" scenarios simultaneously, but it seems like you would need tons of computing power to get their with such a brute force method.

There's one in the WH.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Not necessarily a bad thing...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    Not necessarily a bad thing...
    It aint the brain that made that one worthwhile!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

I'll volunteer my mind. Just imagine what you could learn, experience, and teach. But I wouldnprefer them to actually unlock the brain before they try makng an artificial one. I'm all for shortcuts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    I'll volunteer my mind. Just imagine what you could learn, experience, and teach. But I wouldnprefer them to actually unlock the brain before they try makng an artificial one. I'm all for shortcuts, though.
    That is basically the point of all of this. It is just a top-down approach instead of a bottom-up approach. I believe the top-down approach will be the fastest way to "unlock the brain."

Champ bulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the roughbulldog_in_baton_rouge is a jewel in the rough bulldog_in_baton_rouge's Avatar

Be careful what you wish for. Remember Winona Ryder's words of wisdom in Alien IV:Resurrection...apparently, if you tie your mind into a computer, "your insides feel like liquid" and "it's not real"...all I'm saying is be careful...

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

What if my mind gets unlocked and they don't find much??!! (this is a rhetorical question only - no need to respond, thank you very much)!

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    That is basically the point of all of this. It is just a top-down approach instead of a bottom-up approach. I believe the top-down approach will be the fastest way to "unlock the brain."
    maybe, but going top-down, to me, means that the "max" is already achieved and you're just trying to fill in the gaps.

And I think the brain is infinitely more powerful than any computer has been or will be.

Guess you got to start somewhere.

maybe, but going top-down, to me, means that the "max" is already achieved and you're just trying to fill in the gaps.

And I think the brain is infinitely more powerful than any computer has been or will be.

Guess you got to start somewhere.
    http://www.alanturing.net/turing_arc...is%20AI09.html
    Top-Down AI vs Bottom-Up AI

Turing's manifesto of 1948 distinguished two different approaches to AI, which may be termed "top down" and "bottom up". The work described so far in this article belongs to the top-down approach. In top-down AI, cognition is treated as a high-level phenomenon that is independent of the low-level details of the implementing mechanism--a brain in the case of a human being, and one or another design of electronic digital computer in the artificial case. Researchers in bottom-up AI, or connectionism, take an opposite approach and simulate networks of artificial neurons that are similar to the neurons in the human brain. They then investigate what aspects of cognition can be recreated in these artificial networks.
    The difference between the two approaches may be illustrated by considering the task of building a system to discriminate between W, say, and other letters. A bottom-up approach could involve presenting letters one by one to a neural network that is configured somewhat like a retina, and reinforcing neurons that happen to respond more vigorously to the presence of W than to the presence of aany other letter. A top-down approach could involve writing a computer program that checks inputs of letters against a description of W that is couched in terms of the angles and relative lengths of intersecting line segments. Simply put, the currency of the bottom-up approach is neural activity and of the top-down approach descriptions of relevant features of the task.
    The descriptions employed in the top-down approach are stored in the computer's memory as structures of symbols (e.g. lists). In the case of a chess or checkers program, for example, the descriptions involved are of board positions, moves, and so forth. The reliance of top-down AI on symbolically encoded descriptions has earned it the name "symbolic AI". In the 1970s Newell and Simon--vigorous advocates of symbolic AI--summed up the approach in what they called the Physical Symbol System Hypothesis, which says that the processing of structures of symbols by a digital computer is sufficient to produce artificial intelligence, and that, moreover, the processing of structures of symbols by the human brain is the basis of human intelligence. While it remains an open question whether the Physical Symbol System Hypothesis is true or false, recent successes in bottom-up AI have resulted in symbolic AI being to some extent eclipsed by the neural approach, and the Physical Symbol System Hypothesis has fallen out of fashion.

+ Reply to Thread