+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decision

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tough Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    Sounds like the folks in Texas really consider you an asset and think very highly of you. Going home is not always what you think it will be, IMO.

If you love your job now, and they are willing to do what it takes to keep you, I would hang around east Texas for a bit! Just my two cents.
    You are correct. I just miss New Orleans so much. Every time I visit, I want to move back. This is a good place right now for my career, though. Can't beat the exposure and the opportunity to do things that no one else has done.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

stay in texas

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I want to know what you do?
    Well, here is a quick run down of what I do.

5 Independent MHMR Centers in Texas came together and formed a region. They covered 28 Counties for services. These are full service Centers with multiple clinics each. They serve mental health and developmental disability consumers. Full array of services - docs, nurses, case managers, counselors, social workers, etc.... Lots of beauracracy due to contracts with the state, but they also serve private pay and Medicaid. The smallest Center has a budget of about 6 million. The largest about 30 million.

They wanted to improve their quality and gain some cost efficiencies. They hired me as Executive Director of the region. My Board consists of the CEO's of each Center. We opened up a closed door pharmacy first. That blossomed and gave us the money to put back into the region to start more projects. Each Center saved money by purchasing meds from the pharmacy and, at the same time, we cleared a lot of revenue over expenses. Then, I started what I called a "Menu of Services" that the region could provide. Each Center could choose any item off the menu. We have consolidated the Medical Directors, an authorization service program (similar to an insurance program), and a host of other administrative services. We have committees that benchmark their services against each other (who is doing well on what standard and developing best practices from this). We do everything together in planning by workgroups when things come down from the state or federal government to implement. Plus, we have applied for and received multiple grants. All the money we make is put back into services for the consumers.

I started a push to expand the region last year and we are now up to 10 Centers in Texas that spans 70 Counties. I opened our pharmacy to non-members, as well, though, so it serves about 85 Counties in Texas. We have started housing programs for consumers, fund development programs, Autism Services, etc.... The total overall budget of the Centers put together is over 98 million. The region's budget stays small, though, as we do things at cost. All of this is non-profit. We, also, bulk purchase together - including utilities and supplies. We are getting ready to offer Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable services to our Centers. All of this will reduce staff and save a ton of money by having it centralized. Instead of all of my employees in one place, though, I recruit over the 70 County area and office staff at different Centers. Works out well.....

I have spoke at the National Council for Mental Health and Addictions along side David Gergen from CNN. He was extremely impressed with what we have done. I have millions in reserves now on the regional level that I use for workshops, trainings, and other things. Plus, I can create programs without touching Center funds.

It is a great way to streamline services and save money. Plus, we do a LOT of quality improvement initiatives. I even have an audit team that goes around and makes sure Centers are in compliance with all state, federal, and other guidelines.

We have grown quick and are a powerful voice in the state now. Talk about saving tax payer money! To me, though, it is about putting money where it needs to be - services and not administration. By combining, that makes it streamlined.

Hope that answers your question. There is so much more to it, but those are the basic concepts. My dream is to expand it more in services and, then, copy it and form different regions that do the same thing.

Having a Board of 10 CEO's is difficult sometimes, but they really like what we are doing and it is making their jobs so much easier.

The job in New Orleans is Executive Director of a private entity that provides services to just people with developmental disabilties. They are new in Louisiana and contract with the state. They have one office in New Orleans and one in Lake Charles. I would be over both and every office we open in the state after this. They are private so they pay more, but my Board is stepping up with that.

Our Centers are quasi government. They each have a contract with the state to be the "Authority" over a certain coverage area. The receive funds from the state to do this and provide the services, but the Counties and other local entities help support them. Each of the Centers has a Board of Trustees themselves.

It is the perfect way to blend providing services with streamlining where the money goes and improving quality. It fits me like a glove. I can be as creative as I want, travel a LOT over the 70 Counties, but can also work from home - since my staff is so spread out.

The only staff I have at our main office is my Assistant and a Business Manager. Then, I have the pharmacy in one building, of course, with about 15 staff there. The others are located at different Centers and report to me.

Pretty cool and hard to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    stay in texas
    I do love me some Nawlins, though...........

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Career potential and job satisfaction are very difficult things to come by now days. I'd stay in Texas, take the extra $$, go to more TECH games, and start saving for your eventual move back to NO in style.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I think everything you stated in your original post indicates you want to stay where you are. Sounds like you have a great situation there and are happy. I would not sacrifice authority and freedom for a more structured position.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

If your potential La. job involves state funding . . . . beware.

If you stay in Texas how much more will be expected of you (after you get what you want financially.)
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Thansk Buz and Dawgpix..... The company in Louisiana is private, but depends on a contract they have with the state for funding. That funding is Medicaid Waivor funding, which is federal matching. They will, most likely, expand and would want me to lead that charge forward.

The expectations in Texas are the same - I grew it from 34 Counties to 70. They do not want to grow it any more geographically - that was my idea, not theirs - for better cost efficiencies. As for prgrams, I actually asked for them to move a little faster for me. I push them pretty hard and they are sometimes a slow moving "government type" organization that moves to slow. In my demands, I asked for them to move faster on what I want to do. :icon_wink:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Stay in Texas.

I love Louisiana, but it has too many problems. My wife and I are already looking elsewhere.....Colorado, Texas....among others....to retire to. Well, not really retire, we plan to continue working in some capacity, but not here.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Stay in Texas.

I love Louisiana, but it has too many problems. My wife and I are already looking elsewhere.....Colorado, Texas....among others....to retire to. Well, not really retire, we plan to continue working in some capacity, but not here.
    No matter what my decision comes to this weekend, I will retire in New Orleans. I think I may have a solution that can help me stay with my present job. I am going to look into buying a condo in New Orleans and ask that I have the ability to work from there for a few weeks out of the year. Since I have the ability to work from home now, that will give me a little more time in the city I love until it is time to retire. At retirement, I can sell the condo and buy something else or just live there. That seems smart to me. I am only 46 and have some time, but if I plan ahead now, if another perfect job comes open, at least I will have a place to live to jump right in.

Yesterday and today, I am leaning toward staying where I am. The potential for growth and building something even better could emerge from my current position.

I have to add, though, that I do NOT like East Texas. Yeah, everything is new and clean, but I am not a "chain" type of guy. I like deep rich historical culture. Living in Tyler is like living in a suburb of Dallas, but without Dallas. I am not a suburban type of guy. I like the vibe of the city and no vibe is greater than New Orleans.

I have to add that when I moved from New Orleans to here, I thought living in the country would be nice. My home is actually in Bullard Texas with 5 acres surrounding it. What has happened, though, is that Tyler spread and I am surrounded by McMansions now. Bullard turned into a suburb of Tyler (which is a suburb of something, itself - nobody knows what).

So, I not only don't have the country, I don't have the city either. I have neither of my two extreme likes.

When I retire, maybe I can sell this current house, live in the New Orleans one, and buy something outside of Arcadia to stay in during football season. Or, maybe even an RV.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I know you've visited New Orleans over the past several years, but I honestly don't think it's to the point that you'd like it to be in the rebuilding phase that you would enjoy living there as before. I think they're still at least 5 years away from that point.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Bernice girls?
    I believe they do most of their work pro bono.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I know you've visited New Orleans over the past several years, but I honestly don't think it's to the point that you'd like it to be in the rebuilding phase that you would enjoy living there as before. I think they're still at least 5 years away from that point.
    I go back about 3 times a year. It is making progress, but you are right, it isn't close to being back yet. Depends on the neighborhood, though. Uptown is looking good. MidCity is bordering on coming back, and Marigny is looking great. Those are the 3 neighborhoods I would consider. I think I am staying put for a while, though. Found a condo that looks pretty good uptown. Security gates and it is all upstairs with someone living downstairs. Not something I would want for a forever home, but something I could buy soon (or something like that) and go down when I want. Plus, when I do get ready to take a good offer like this again, I could move - then sell that and my home here and buy something that I would really like.

Most of my friends are there and I do get awefully homesick for New Orleans. Still my favorite city in the country. :icon_wink:

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I go back about 3 times a year. It is making progress, but you are right, it isn't close to being back yet. Depends on the neighborhood, though. Uptown is looking good. MidCity is bordering on coming back, and Marigny is looking great. Those are the 3 neighborhoods I would consider. I think I am staying put for a while, though. Found a condo that looks pretty good uptown. Security gates and it is all upstairs with someone living downstairs. Not something I would want for a forever home, but something I could buy soon (or something like that) and go down when I want. Plus, when I do get ready to take a good offer like this again, I could move - then sell that and my home here and buy something that I would really like.

Most of my friends are there and I do get awefully homesick for New Orleans. Still my favorite city in the country. :icon_wink:
    I am in the New Orleans Area and I love it. I feel your pain wanting to get back. Everything you say leads me to believe that you should stay in Texas. You seem to really enjoy your job now. I wouldn't give it up. Good luck with your descision though.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

I have been offered a job in New Orleans
    Stay out of this crap hole of a state.....esp. the greater New Orleans area.

+ Reply to Thread