+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Hoppinmad, et al......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

For Hoppinmad, et al......

From your section 19......
    "Trifle not we me, my lord; I crave, I thirst, for more knowledge."

From section 20 in your hyperlink......
    "Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."

Note: There are THREE obvious ways to consider the above.
    1) In the context of the entire book.
    2) Only in the context of the section from which each is cited.
    3) Solely on their own merit as philosophical thought.

And needless to say......
    I shall mind not any FOURTH or FIFTH, etc. manner in which any reader of this thread may care to address either of the above quoted FLATLAND excerpts.

BRAVO to all who opt to play in this interesting (to me) sandbox.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: For Hoppinmad, et al......

And also......

If anyone would care to cite another quote from FLATLAND that they would enjoy exploring with what little remains of my little grey cells, and any interested others on this board......
    To quote a still (physically) living American president who would have easily and eagerly and ignorantly imprisoned the Square in the FLATLAND narrative......
    Via his "patriotic act" or any other convenient political guise......
    "BRING IT ON!"

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    From your section 19......
    "Trifle not we me, my lord; I crave, I thirst, for more knowledge."

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."

Note: There are THREE obvious ways to consider the above.
    1) In the context of the entire book.
    2) Only in the context of the section from which each is cited.
    3) Solely on their own merit as philosophical thought.

And needless to say......
    I shall mind not any FOURTH or FIFTH, etc. manner in which any reader of this thread may care to address either of the above quoted FLATLAND excerpts.

BRAVO to all who opt to play in this interesting (to me) sandbox.

Cheers.

I just noticed the thread .... so, what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinmad View Post
    I just noticed the thread .... so, what say you?
    1-12-10......
    Your post #213 on the Athiest holiday thread.
    Quote "but if there are parts you want to throw out there for discussion, seems to me there is stuff here worth mulling over".

So I "threw out" this thread for YOU the next day.
    It never occurred to me that you might not notice a thread with your name highlighted, for over 6 weeks.

But what the heck......
    Better late than never, eh?

Anyway......
    Having honored your suggestion with this thread, and having thrown out "stuff" for you to "mull over"...... The next seemingly logical step in this process is not what I have to say, but what if anything YOU have to say!

No rush...... :icon_wink:

Cheers.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

1. This may be the author's perception somewhat of parallel universes .....but who's to know but him.

2. The "point" is where the "point" is .... that's the "cube's" opinion based on where he is at.

3. A Tibetan monk might take issue with this quote.

Many people will probably deal with both realities during a life time.

+ Reply to Thread