+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Applewhite

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Team Applewhite

He would be a big question mark. The people who know him say he will be a great coach. I would not be devastated if Tech hired him. But he's not my first choice.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

He's in my top 3. Gotta think about his recruiting. His coordinator experience is impressive. Yeah, he's young, but he's experienced. His moving around doesn't surprise me...he's an assistant. Any of y'all who think the next guy is gonna be around more than about 5 years are mistaken anyway...we're not there yet.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    He's in my top 3. Gotta think about his recruiting. His coordinator experience is impressive. Yeah, he's young, but he's experienced. His moving around doesn't surprise me...he's an assistant. Any of y'all who think the next guy is gonna be around more than about 5 years are mistaken anyway...we're not there yet.
    Anyone who WINS will be gone in the 3-5 year range. That's pretty normal for all winning mid major programs. To lose our coach to one of the top 15 or so programs in the country will not happen again. Without his last name, it wouldn't have happened to Dooley.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    What's great about Tech's situation is that the next guy is going to step in and takeover a very talented team that is on its way up and is expected to win at least 8 games next year. I hope the candidates realize this. I hope they look at the schedule and see how competitive it looks for Tech. This isn't a rebuilding situation... even though a 4-8 season appears that way. Dooley has set the next guy up for a great 3 season run to position himself for another step up the ladder.

Varsity Bulldog FWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her gameFWDAWG is on top of his/her game

too young

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I am still a Gus fan, but Applewhite has moved up to a clear #2 spot. An up and coming coach with a HUGE name, Texas connections, great experience for a young career, and could recruit Texas and Louisiana with ease.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FWDAWG View Post
    too young
    I am a firm believer in young is good. They have energy and initiative and are still believers in the impossible. Can't beat that when you add the experience that Applewhite has.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Can't beat that when you add the experience that Applewhite has.
    FIVE YEARS! he's a BABY!

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    FIVE YEARS! he's a BABY!

To me means he can relate better with today's athlete!

As an assistant, yes he moved around......always improving himself. Youngest OC in college at the time, worked under Saban and has been at Texas 2 years.

He has been around very good programs. His connections in La and Texas are invaluable!!!!

I rate my choices as this:

1 Applewhite
    2 Gus
    3 Venables
    4 Monken or Conque

I just have a feeling the administration will be bringing in someone no one is talking about, that we will all scratch our head a bit, then find out.....good hire ala Dooley

Big Dog WonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of lightWonderDawg is a glorious beacon of light WonderDawg's Avatar

I agree with Champion he is my # 2 choice behind Gus. Major knows how to win. Why in the hell would we want someone that is not ambitious and he will be a HC at other than Texas.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

He has GOOD experience though. D1A coordinator experience at a CUSA and SEC school is a higher level experience than Dooley had. Dooley was a position coach and recruiting coordinator.

I would be happy with Applewhite because of the recruiting implications. This guy is perfectly suited for Texas and Louisiana recruiting.

There is no way I'll accept Scelfo as head coach. I would love to keep him on as a QB coach by whomever is hired.

And you DO NOT WANT to write somebody off by how long they will stay. That is what big buyouts are for! If he had 2 winning seasons and left (with 2 good recruiting classes) then we move on to the next guy and repeat.

At our level if your coach stays a long time it is a mediocre or bad thing.

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Boise State
    Houston Nutt - 1 year
    Dirk Koetter - 3 years
    Dan Hawkins - 5 years
    Chris Petersen - 4 years

So what if a coach only coaches at Tech for a few years? At Boise, each coach raised the bar for the next coach. Now they are at a point where they can keep their coach.

Every kid in Texas would want to come play for him if they don't get a ride to UT or A&M.

Growing up in Baton Rouge means he has connections in South Louisiana.

He was impressive enough to become the youngest OC in college football.

Nick Saban was impressed enough to hire him as his OC at Bama.

He just coached in the BCS Championship game.

He's affordable.

With Mack Brown and Muschamp in Austin, it will be a long time until that job opens up for him.
    All good points. I'd be happy w/ this and it would give us a boost in recruiting, I think. We can not afford to lose this class.

Bulldog Dawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeDawg87_wp Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Dawg87_wp's Avatar

I don't have anything against the other candidates, but I think it would be good for La Tech to get Applewhite. UT may be grooming Applewhite to take over, but I don't think UT is going to offer him a head coaching job anytime soon. La Tech could give him something other schools won't-a 5-10yr contract with a huge buyout & lucrative incentives built in.

Pros-affordable, good for recruiting, intelligent, a players coach
    Cons-unproven

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg87_wp View Post
    I don't have anything against the other candidates, but I think it would be good for La Tech to get Applewhite. UT may be grooming Applewhite to take over, but I don't think UT is going to offer him a head coaching job anytime soon. La Tech could give him something other schools won't-a 5-10yr contract with a huge buyout & lucrative incentives built in.

Pros-affordable, good for recruiting, intelligent, a players coach
    Cons-unproven

Muschamp will be the next head coach of UT, not Applewhite
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I like him. His youth is still a concern. I think he is no. 3 on my list.

+ Reply to Thread