+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Coaching Profession

Big Dog Pitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the roughPitcherjlt is a jewel in the rough Pitcherjlt's Avatar

The Coaching Profession

You know, I sit here and I think about what has taken place over the last couple of weeks and I never imagined that Pete Carroll leaving USC would somehow impact Louisiana Tech. As I have read a lot of the articles specifically related to the firing of Mike Leach, the bolting of Lane Kiffin to USC, and now the departure of Derek Dooley it has got me thinking what a crazy profession coaching college football has to be. The ramifications from Dooley on down the line for our assistants will affect them in ways that we cannot imagine. I have a really, really good friend who is on the Tech staff and now he and his wife and their future are in limbo and I am sure the stress level is very high as to what the future holds for them and their family. I know what many of you are thinking and on a certain level I feel the same way - "They knew what they were getting into when they decided on this career" - but I cannot imagine going through the uncertainty of something like this. Let's try and remember these men and women and their families in our thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks. Some of them are Tech graduates and some of them are not. Either way I feel like this is something that we can collectively do for these folks that will help them tremendously. Thanks!

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Re: The Coaching Profession

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherjlt View Post
    You know, I sit here and I think about what has taken place over the last couple of weeks and I never imagined that Pete Carroll leaving USC would somehow impact Louisiana Tech.

If you want to take it one step further, it started with Mike Nolan's firing.

But you made some excellent points. Most times coaches get a feeling for what is coming. This was completely out of the blue. Thanks for the reminder!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Great perspective to know that we, the fans, aren't the only ones who are being effected by all this. There are a lot of families out there, who don't have a $2.5 mil contract who are very dependent on the next opportunity just to keep up with what they have. Dang it is hard to keep things in perspective when you love your team as much as we all do.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherjlt View Post
    You know, I sit here and I think about what has taken place over the last couple of weeks and I never imagined that Pete Carroll leaving USC would somehow impact Louisiana Tech. As I have read a lot of the articles specifically related to the firing of Mike Leach, the bolting of Lane Kiffin to USC, and now the departure of Derek Dooley it has got me thinking what a crazy profession coaching college football has to be. The ramifications from Dooley on down the line for our assistants will affect them in ways that we cannot imagine. I have a really, really good friend who is on the Tech staff and now he and his wife and their future are in limbo and I am sure the stress level is very high as to what the future holds for them and their family. I know what many of you are thinking and on a certain level I feel the same way - "They knew what they were getting into when they decided on this career" - but I cannot imagine going through the uncertainty of something like this. Let's try and remember these men and women and their families in our thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks. Some of them are Tech graduates and some of them are not. Either way I feel like this is something that we can collectively do for these folks that will help them tremendously. Thanks!
    I feel ya. I have a good friend in the Tech athletic staff too, and I asked if he'd still have a job or not after this is all over, and though he probably will, there's never any real certainty. Many of us probably are a little more on edge about our jobs because of the recession, but the "little guys" in these athletic departments have a lot more to be nervous about.

+ Reply to Thread