+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Monken Mistake

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: Monken Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgBB View Post
    Better hope that we land that Neville kid...
    No faith in Doak Raulston?

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Rupp was Karl's buddy... Kerry was director of the Karl Malone Basketball Camp and Co-Executive Director for the Karl Malone Foundation for Kids......... That's why he got the job...
    Is there that big of a difference? I don't think Rupp and Karl's relationship was anything close to strictly business.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Not my reason at all.
    Please, continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    He will coach his ass off and throw it deep and throw it often
    OK, he'll bring a wide open offence to TECH. I can understand that reason. Would Applewhite NOT bring the same thing though? Why Monken over Applewhite?

I'm not against him. There are good things and bad things about him (same as all). But if he is your #1 over all others I want to ask, "how is he better than all the rest?"

FYI, I am happy with "the list" and I won't be disapointed in any of them.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    FYI, I am happy with "the list" I won't be disapointed in any of them.

That is what is important at this point

Champ BulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the roughBulldawgBB is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by CChandler View Post
    No faith in Doak Raulston?
    Not yet... :icon_wink:

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Please, continue.

OK, he'll bring a wide open offence to TECH. I can understand that reason. Would Applewhite NOT bring the same thing though? Why Monken over Applewhite?

I'm not against him. There are good things and bad things about him (same as all). But if he is your #1 over all others I want to ask, "how is he better than all the rest?"

FYI, I am happy with "the list" and I won't be disapointed in any of them.
    Applewhite would but he is not a candidate, we need to focus on who candiadtes are...
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

#1. Monken has coached for 19 years and has built up good relationships with the area HS coaches from his recuiting days at TECH and ebrcc.

Applewhite is a big name at TX and theoretically would give us some in-roads there although I haven't heard of a single prized recruit that he has gotten for any school that he's worked at. (recruited Creer to Bama, but missed out)

#2. Monken would be able to walk into a room with our current coaching staff and be respected. He has the connections and relationships along the years to bring in some really good assistants.

I fear (personal opinion) that the coaches that we have now, wouldn't be so fond of taking orders from a 31 year old "punk kid". He's been the one that's been groomed for a job, but does he have people that we know would come here and work for him?? That's a big unknown.

#3. Monken has shown the ability to stick with jobs and if you look at his resume, he has always moved UP in the coaching ranks. He coached at Notre Dumb, at E Michigan getting promoted to OC and QB coach, TECH during the Air TECH days, OK St as the passing game Coordinator (Bc$ terminolgy for co-OC), then ebrcc in the same position before making a living in the NFL. (I'm thinking that he was a recruiting Coordinator somewhere as well... just forget where) People must think highly of him to keep PROMOTING him, so how could we be wrong giving him another promotion??

Applewhite has finally this year been with a job for a 2nd year, and with this job he had COLT MCFRIGGENCOY at starter... seriously, who COULDN'T be successful there. Was the success at Rice him or Todd Graham?? Both maybe??

#4. and YES, I think that we all feel that having Monken here would be a solid choice and one that we can count on for a few years to REALLY get TECH where it can be. Can he be our Jeff Bower and take us to multiple bowl games in a row?? I think so, but that's just a feeling.

Applewhite has jumped around so much, and has the "name" that he'll once again be interviewing for more jobs next year. Hopefully that's because he got TECH 10 wins and really EARNED the interviews (in which case, I'd say being him on. '10 would be a ride that I would love to enjoy and then worry about another coach in 2011.)

Neither of them has any HC expirience, but IMO, Monken is the much safer choice of the two if you want someone that will continue what Dooley started. Can Applewhite do it?? Maybe so, and if he's the one, then great. Show off that TX recruiting ability and get us some STUD LINEMEN. THEY make everyone else BETTER.

I've stated from the beginning that I like Ruffin McNeill, but since that won't happen, I've jumped on the Monken bandwagon, and so far, the ride feels good.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    #1. Monken has coached for 19 years and has built up good relationships with the area HS coaches from his recuiting days at TECH and ebrcc.

Applewhite is a big name at TX and theoretically would give us some in-roads there although I haven't heard of a single prized recruit that he has gotten for any school that he's worked at. (recruited Creer to Bama, but missed out)

#2. Monken would be able to walk into a room with our current coaching staff and be respected. He has the connections and relationships along the years to bring in some really good assistants.

I fear (personal opinion) that the coaches that we have now, wouldn't be so fond of taking orders from a 31 year old "punk kid". He's been the one that's been groomed for a job, but does he have people that we know would come here and work for him?? That's a big unknown.
    Good points! But Monken has not separated himself from Applewhite with this. In fact Applewhites name alone voids your #2.
    Apple white could run for US Senate in Texas right now and win on name recognition alone. And his current position at Texas gives him TONS of credit with HS football players.
    *test* Ask 10 college football fans (not La Tech fans) tomorrow if they know who Major Applewhite and Todd Monken are.

#3. Monken has shown the ability to stick with jobs and if you look at his resume, he has always moved UP in the coaching ranks. He coached at Notre Dumb, at E Michigan getting promoted to OC and QB coach, TECH during the Air TECH days, OK St as the passing game Coordinator (Bc$ terminolgy for co-OC), then ebrcc in the same position before making a living in the NFL. (I'm thinking that he was a recruiting Coordinator somewhere as well... just forget where) People must think highly of him to keep PROMOTING him, so how could we be wrong giving him another promotion??

Applewhite has finally this year been with a job for a 2nd year, and with this job he had COLT MCFRIGGENCOY at starter... seriously, who COULDN'T be successful there. Was the success at Rice him or Todd Graham?? Both maybe??
    So Monken has done well enough to keep his job but not good enought to be hired away. I mean, if he was so good at "abc" position coach then why was he moved to another position? Good talker? He sounds like a Bicknell at year 4 (6-6) when you make these statements.
    "sticking around" shouldn't be important!
    #4. and YES, I think that we all feel that having Monken here would be a solid choice and one that we can count on for a few years to REALLY get TECH where it can be. Can he be our Jeff Bower and take us to multiple bowl games in a row?? I think so, but that's just a feeling.

Applewhite has jumped around so much, and has the "name" that he'll once again be interviewing for more jobs next year. Hopefully that's because he got TECH 10 wins and really EARNED the interviews (in which case, I'd say being him on. '10 would be a ride that I would love to enjoy and then worry about another coach in 2011.)
    Get off the "he'll stick around" crap. You, my friend, are going right back to my original complaint that the only reason ya'll want him is you think he'll stick around!

If a coach WANTS to stay at Louisiana Tech for $400K a year ........THEY SUCK!
    If they are worth their weight in CRAP they can get $1mil!
    Neither of them has any HC expirience, but IMO, Monken is the much safer choice of the two if you want someone that will continue what Dooley started. Can Applewhite do it?? Maybe so, and if he's the one, then great. Show off that TX recruiting ability and get us some STUD LINEMEN. THEY make everyone else BETTER.
    The average person will never be excited about Monken. He is a "journey man" by your own description never being good enough for the big job with almost 20 years in the business. Names are what get people excited about giving money. Monken may have enough rep to get HS players to be interested but he doesn't have the cred to get alumni to open their pocket books more.
    I've stated from the beginning that I like Ruffin McNeill, but since that won't happen, I've jumped on the Monken bandwagon, and so far, the ride feels good.
    Now, I was only trying to state the opposite. Not because I think one is better but because I don't believe anything you have said puts Monken above others.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Ouch... you got me pretty good. You musta been drinkin some rum!!
    Good points! But Monken has not separated himself from Applewhite with this. In fact Applewhites name alone voids your #2.
    Apple white could run for US Senate in Texas right now and win on name recognition alone. And his current position at Texas gives him TONS of credit with HS football players.
    I agree that NEITHER of them has really seperated themselves from the group, but the point of this thread is basically how horrible a hire Monken would be, and that I feel is not true.

I disagree with your assessment above. With regards to the respect factor, I'm talking just in the coaching ranks, and in the coaching ranks, you're going to have a hard time getting 40-50 year old coaches that have been doing this for 20 years to fully listen and buy into a 31 year old kid that's been coaching for 5 years. He will REALLY have to earn those guys trust. On the STREET, you're absolutly correct. Applewhite is a MUCH bigger name.

So Monken has done well enough to keep his job but not good enought to be hired away. I mean, if he was so good at "abc" position coach then why was he moved to another position? Good talker? He sounds like a Bicknell at year 4 (6-6) when you make these statements.
    You REALLY didn't read the whole thing. He actually KEPT a position for more than a year, and after usually 3 years, MOVED UP to a better position. It wasn't a "well, you're not bad enough to fire, so I guess you'll have to do for now" situation and you KNOW that.

Get off the "he'll stick around" crap. You, my friend, are going right back to my original complaint that the only reason ya'll want him is you think he'll stick around!

DUDE!!! That's NOT what I'm saying, but I don't want a ONE YEAR COACH, which Applewhite WOULD BE!!! His track record SHOWS that he hasn't STUCK WITH ANYTHING. HOW can we continue to BUILD A PROGRAM if you have a HC that sticks around for 1 year and that's it. To use your thinking, Applewhite NAME is so "big" that if he is here for 3 years, then he hasn't done enough to get hired out of here. If they had the same exact results, you'd have less of a chance of losing Monken to a Bc$ school SOLELY based on the name.
    Monken may have enough rep to get HS players to be interested but he doesn't have the cred to get alumni to open their pocket books more.
    Great point. I would hope that we could once again have a nice increase to LTAC and the better chance at that just might be Applewhite.

Wow, I need sleep....

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

My backing of Monken is this: he has a good resume and he has very good references here at Tech. That is enough for me. I don't anything about any of the candidates unless I read about them here or on the net, so I don't have personal experience to work from. Some here do, and in my book, their credibility is very high.

Whomever we get out of the Monken, Nix, Phillips, Applewhite pot will be great in my opinion. I will be happy with all of them.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

*test* Ask 10 college football fans (not La Tech fans) tomorrow if they know who Major Applewhite and Todd Monken are.

"sticking around" shouldn't be important!

The average person will never be excited about Monken. He is a "journey man" by your own description never being good enough for the big job with almost 20 years in the business. Names are what get people excited about giving money. Monken may have enough rep to get HS players to be interested but he doesn't have the cred to get alumni to open their pocket books more.

Now, I was only trying to state the opposite. Not because I think one is better but because I don't believe anything you have said puts Monken above others.
    Applewhite ain't coming, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    Applewhite ain't coming, get over it.
    Applewhite is not nor has he ever been my #1. Truthfully Gus was the only one I had at #1 and since he's out I don't have a number one, yet. IMO Gus would brink both offense and name recognition for the alumni and offense and street cred for the recruits. I don't think Monken nor Applewhite bring both. But I do think either COULD do the job. That is why I was comparing the two.

Question, where has Applewhite or TECH publicly dismissed the possibility?

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Applewhite is not nor has he ever been my #1. Truthfully Gus was the only one I had at #1 and since he's out I don't have a number one, yet. IMO Gus would brink both offense and name recognition for the alumni and offense and street cred for the recruits. I don't think Monken nor Applewhite bring both. But I do think either COULD do the job. That is why I was comparing the two.

Question, where has Applewhite or TECH publicly dismissed the possibility?
    Publicly---NADA. Privately---he told our reps after visiting with Mac Brown that he "was not ready to be a head coach at this time."

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    Publicly---NADA. Privately---he told our reps after visiting with Mac Brown that he "was not ready to be a head coach at this time."
    I respect him for recognizing that fact.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

As long as it's not that prick Terry Bowden we'll be okay.

+ Reply to Thread