+ Reply to Thread

Thread: La. Tech Sports Information Director

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

La. Tech Sports Information Director

I couldn't help but notice all the publicity around our recent coaching changes, and how different it was from past searches. Obviously the name of the university got some publicity when Dooley went to Tennessee, and that came mostly because of the media frenzy surrounding Kiffin's sudden departure to USC.

But, when we hired Dykes it was reported pretty widely on SportsCenter, Fox Sports, etc. Even the sports applications on my cell phone had articles about Tech football coaches. I do not remember this kind of publicity in the past, not even when searching for Leon Barmore's replacement in WBB (maybe it happened and I don't remember it).

So, my question is: Have there been big changes in the SID office in recent years? Who is in charge, how many people work there, etc? Did Dooley / Van de Velde make changes? It is possible that our news was more promintent simply because it came at the end of the "coaching carousel" and was not drowned out by hundreds of similar articles at other schools. But, it is also possible that we have gotten smarter about how we deal with the press. Did anyone else notice this?

Varsity Bulldog TrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her gameTrueBlue is on top of his/her game

Re: La. Tech Sports Information Director

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I couldn't help but notice all the publicity around our recent coaching changes, and how different it was from past searches. Obviously the name of the university got some publicity when Dooley went to Tennessee, and that came mostly because of the media frenzy surrounding Kiffin's sudden departure to USC.

But, when we hired Dykes it was reported pretty widely on SportsCenter, Fox Sports, etc. Even the sports applications on my cell phone had articles about Tech football coaches. I do not remember this kind of publicity in the past, not even when searching for Leon Barmore's replacement in WBB (maybe it happened and I don't remember it).

So, my question is: Have there been big changes in the SID office in recent years? Who is in charge, how many people work there, etc? Did Dooley / Van de Velde make changes? It is possible that our news was more promintent simply because it came at the end of the "coaching carousel" and was not drowned out by hundreds of similar articles at other schools. But, it is also possible that we have gotten smarter about how we deal with the press. Did anyone else notice this?
    I noticed this as well. I think all of your reasons for this are on target. I would also credit the advancement in technology in the proliferation of news through increasing outlets over the last few years. (i.e twitter, facebook, phone apps, etc)

Bulldog bigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around herebigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around herebigjimfolsom has turned a few heads around here bigjimfolsom's Avatar

That would be Malcolm Butler. He is finally getting the money he needed to make his department much better ( per Dooley/Van De Velde) He is one of the best things at the university and does it with less full time staff than almost everyone in the country.

Jason Martin
    Tech '04

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I knew Malcolm had been the SID in the past, but I wasn't sure if he was still there. It's good to see that he finally has better resources. I am a "friend" of La. Tech and La. Tech Athletics on Facebook, as True Blue mentioned, and I get updates there as well. I thought those pages were run by fans, but if they are run from the SID's office, that is good news too.

Bulldog VolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around hereVolDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimfolsom View Post
    That would be Malcolm Butler. He is finally getting the money he needed to make his department much better ( per Dooley/Van De Velde) He is one of the best things at the university and does it with less full time staff than almost everyone in the country.

Jason Martin
    Tech '04
    Agree with this completely. I just wish some of that money had come a couple of years ago. Malcolm runs the absolute best office he can with the resources he has. It's difficult when you're working with one other full-time person and two interns that change on almost a yearly basis because he can't get any money to pay them a decent wage. But Malcolm has made it happen to the best of his ability, and I'm a better SID for having worked in his office.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VolDawg View Post
    Agree with this completely. I just wish some of that money had come a couple of years ago. Malcolm runs the absolute best office he can with the resources he has. It's difficult when you're working with one other full-time person and two interns that change on almost a yearly basis because he can't get any money to pay them a decent wage. But Malcolm has made it happen to the best of his ability, and I'm a better SID for having worked in his office.
    And, Voldawg you added lots to that office when you were here.
    Malcolm has received help, but he has interviewed and hired some darn good assistants. Patrick Walsh, Steven Schoon and John Sella are in the groove.

As a result my LTAC donation went to Media Relations for a job well done. I work hand-in-hand with those guys and they deserved it.

Our new impact on ESPN and espn.com this season has been a direct result of efforts by the media relations guys and their contacts at those locations.
    (Remember those mug cutouts at the Hawaii game . . . . planned, produced and planted in the crowd by Malcolm's great guys.:icon_wink:. . . .just an example).
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    (Remember those mug cutouts at the Hawaii game . . . . planned, produced and planted in the crowd by Malcolm's great guys.:icon_wink:. . . .just an example).
    That was awesome. Kudos to those guys for a job well done -- and it's great to hear the changes in the AD's office are more than skin deep.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Also, Dooley going to Tennessee helped us out quite a bit. Think about it from a national perspective. People saw that Dooley left us and were probably thinking "Wow, Louisiana Tech's coach just got hired by a top program, I wonder who they will hire next." Not only out of interest because of the buzz of Dooley leaving, but also because the perception is that we made a good hire in Dooley, what up and comer will we get this time? I wish Dykes great luck with us (obviously) and when he leaves, may it be to another top program.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimfolsom View Post

Jason Martin
    Tech '04
    You still with the PACK ?

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

The SID staff does an amazing job and nobody loves Tech more than Malcolm Butler.

+ Reply to Thread