+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OC and DC Positions

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Re: OC and DC Positions

Quote Originally Posted by BDog05 View Post
    What if he is waiting until after signing day to can them so recruits that are coming b/c of them won't leave.

Can't players switch schools after signing a LOI like Cruz did from Arkansas?

And this may not be the place, but what does GATA mean?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by viator27 View Post
    I agree completely. The staff most likely will not be put together until after signing day.

Also, I am sure that SD wants to look at the talent he has. It doesn't do any good to hire a guy who isn't accustomed to the style you will have to run to fit your players. I know that the OC just calls the plays according to the gameplan that has already been set out by him and the HC, but you still have to be on the same page and be looking for the same thing.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Can't players switch schools after signing a LOI like Cruz did from Arkansas?

And this may not be the place, but what does GATA mean?
    GATA = Get After Their Ass! It's Spanglish. :icon_wink:

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Let Sonny-D be the HC/OC, have Spangler stay on as DC. Keep Scelfo on as QB Coach/Passing game coordinator. Or hell have Scelfo be OC AND QB Coach but let Sonny call the plays. I happen to think that Scelfo, while not the best OC in the world, was very much held back by Dooley and has a lot more to offer than we may think so I would like him to stay on staff. (although I would prefer playcalling be handled by CoachD)
    I agree. Obviously, I defer to Coach Dykes. But if it were up to me, I'd keep Spangler and Scelfo. It doesn't matter who the "official" OC is, everybody knows the offense will be Dykes' baby. Keeping Scelfo would provide good continuity with players and recruits, and we already know that Scelfo has no trouble ditching his own scheme in favor of his head coach's scheme.

As for DC, I can't think of anybody we can afford who would be an upgrade over Spangler. We're headed in the right direction there, so it seems to me Dykes would want to leave it largely intact, and making sure the open assistant positions on D keep us moving in the right direction. Especially since Dykes is clearly more offensively minded, I definitely hope he keeps someone as DC who can run the defense on his own.

I'm actually more interested in seeing who he brings in to fix special teams.

Champ Allgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud ofAllgood has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    GATA = Get After Their Ass! It's Spanglish. :icon_wink:
    Awesome

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I'm actually more interested in seeing who he brings in to fix special teams.
    Me too. We BADLY need to fix our special teams.

HD

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I took a look at the AZ ST coach. Unfortunately he is an AZ alum so I would think he is unlikely to leave for a lateral move.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

If we don't practice special teams, we won't have great special teams. Dooley spent a lot of time running them, at the expense of other areas.

Notice how our WRs didn't have a high catch percentage? It could be because they practiced special teams and blocking so much.

If Coach Dykes has the philosophy of running a play a thousand times to get perfection, then he may not run "specialty" packages or special teams so much.

Of course that is opinion based speculation.

Puppy 58Flash is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    If we don't practice special teams, we won't have great special teams. Dooley spent a lot of time running them, at the expense of other areas.

Notice how our WRs didn't have a high catch percentage? It could be because they practiced special teams and blocking so much.

If Coach Dykes has the philosophy of running a play a thousand times to get perfection, then he may not run "specialty" packages or special teams so much.

Of course that is opinion based speculation.
    He knows STs win games. Makes the difference between good teams and championship teams. Remember how Arnspaurger drilled them when at LSU. Course he was a pro.

Champ rangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant futurerangerdawg has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Me too. We BADLY need to fix our special teams.

HD
    Most special teams problems were due to kicking unfortunately. Short punts and short kick offs hurt us there. Other than that, they were not bad at all.

Varsity Bulldog JNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the roughJNJ33 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdawg View Post
    Most special teams problems were due to kicking unfortunately. Short punts and short kick offs hurt us there. Other than that, they were not bad at all.
    Don't forget we did not make one field goal the entire year either! When you had a coach who wanted to become an expert in the pooch kicking business, you end up with some wild schemes that are not popular with the people in the stands. Shame on you Coach Dooley! The hang time that your kicker had the majority of the time, the coverage team should of been in position to cover, but with all of the injuries on special teams and you have starting position players playing special teams, you are not at full speed with down field coverage. Your kicking unit will do nothing but get stronger with Coach Harrington and who knows what Coach Dykes philosophy is on the kicking game and who the special teams coach will be. Maybe the bunt kick will be introduced instead of kicking it deep! You should be in good hands with Boniol, Stover & Scobee working with your kicking staff in the off season! Oh yea, I forgot your kickers were a freshman and a red shirt freshman!

Quote Originally Posted by Wassaki20 View Post
    Don't forget we did not make one field goal the entire year either! When you had a coach who wanted to become an expert in the pooch kicking business, you end up with some wild schemes that are not popular with the people in the stands. Shame on you Coach Dooley! The hang time that your kicker had the majority of the time, the coverage team should of been in position to cover, but with all of the injuries on special teams and you have starting position players playing special teams, you are not at full speed with down field coverage. Your kicking unit will do nothing but get stronger with Coach Harrington and who knows what Coach Dykes philosophy is on the kicking game and who the special teams coach will be. Maybe the bunt kick will be introduced instead of kicking it deep! You should be in good hands with Boniol, Stover & Scobee working with your kicking staff in the off season! Oh yea, I forgot your kickers were a freshman and a red shirt freshman!

If by "we" you mean Louisiana Tech, we made at least one field goal this year at Auburn.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Wassaki20 View Post

I don't know who you were watching this year. I just looked back at our game tracks..........

2 FG's at Auburn
    2 against Nicholls
    2 against Hawaii
    1 against NMSU
    3 at LSU
    2 against SJSU

All by Matt

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I think he was being sarcastic. Field goals weren't generally a problem last year when we took them at a reasonable distance. The actual kick on the kickoffs wasn't the problem either as long as we didn't try to place the kick at the sideline where we had a few that just made it out of bounds.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic. Field goals weren't generally a problem last year when we took them at a reasonable distance. The actual kick on the kickoffs wasn't the problem either as long as we didn't try to place the kick at the sideline where we had a few that just made it out of bounds.

Sorry I missed the . I need those little hints because I take things so literally.

+ Reply to Thread