+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Overtime Rules

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: Overtime Rules

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Seems to me that, to make this happen, both teams will have to start with the ball, say at their own 35. If the game is still tied after the opening offensive posessions...well, come to think of it, what if it's 7-7 (in OT scoring) then what?
    Go back and read the proposal again. The first team to score a touchdown still wins. It's just to prevent the team winning the coin toss from kicking a field goal without the other team ever getting the ball.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Go back and read the proposal again. The first team to score a touchdown still wins. It's just to prevent the team winning the coin toss from kicking a field goal without the other team ever getting the ball.
    I have to be honest, I dont understand the scoring a TD thing. That is ridiculous. If you wont both teams to get possessions, they should each get one regardless...

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I have to be honest, I dont understand the scoring a TD thing. That is ridiculous. If you wont both teams to get possessions, they should each get one regardless...
    Baby steps.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Baby steps.
    A very illogical one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    A very illogical one at that.
    Maybe. But at least it is in the right direction, right? More fair > less fair.

I don't know why you proponents of the current NFL overtime rules love field goal contests so much. It's too gimicky and not enough like real football for people like me.

:icon_wink:

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I read that. Guess I wasn't clear in my post, sorry. What I was trying to say is to REALLY make OT work....and to be fair....I was throwing out some suggestions.

FB is a different sport. Sudden-death OT works well in hockey, and soccer, and maybe a few others. Baseball's system is as fair as it gets, each team gets a chance. Hoops' system of playing a 5 min OT is also fair. Football is the problem.

The college system is okay, but I think they should start at the 50. And! to make it even more interesting, if the 1st team to go doesn't score, then they either punt, or go for it on 4th down. If they go for it then every yard outside of the 20 the other team can subtract from the 50, so it's in the best interest of the team stopped, to punt and get the ball to the 20 (into the endzone) or inside of it, whereby those yards are added to the next team's start.

Might seem complicated, but it ain't. Like this:

Boise is stuffed on its opening OT possession, 4th and 10 still at the 50. If they go for it, and make the 1st down, the drive is alive, of course. But, if they fail, say, an incomplete pass, then Tech's first OT possession starts on the Boazy 20, 50-20 = 30 yds, subtracted from the 50. What if Tech sacks the QB back to their 40, then that's 40 yds from the 20, which puts Tech on the 10 to start the drive. Needless to say, punting is a smart option. What if Boazy punts and the ball goes out at the 10. Then, since that's 10 yds inside the 20, Tech would start on its 40 (60 yds from paydirt). It's still like baseball innings, each team gets its chance, but now more strategy is involved.

Just throwing it out there for discussion....

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Why not just play another quarter or a 7:50 minute(half of a regulation quarter)?

Because it is the simplest way to go about it and makes way to much SENSE!!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tdawg87 View Post
    Why not just play another quarter?

Because it is the simplest way to go about it and makes way to much SENSE!!!
    Or, a shortened qtr, like they reduce the mins in hoops.

In the NFL, 10 mins, score at the end of the OT is final, unless it's still tied.

In CFB, 8 mins, maybe, or ten too, I guess.

Champ Tdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the roughTdawg87 is a jewel in the rough Tdawg87's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Or, a shortened qtr, like they reduce the mins in hoops.

In the NFL, 10 mins, score at the end of the OT is final, unless it's still tied.

In CFB, 8 mins, maybe, or ten too, I guess.
    Yep, the shortened quarter works for me. I was editing my previous post when you must have posted, but I agree. Way to easy a solution, but the powers that be have to make everything so damn complicated.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Or in the spirit of the Olympic hockey finals play overtime with fewer players, like 7on7.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

In my 2 cents of an opinion, keep it at sudden death...
    If you want to win and you are receiving the ball, score. If you are on defense, keep them from scoring, get the ball back and set your team up to score.
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Rob View Post
    In my 2 cents of an opinion, keep it at sudden death...
    If you want to win and you are receiving the ball, score. If you are on defense, keep them from scoring, get the ball back and set your team up to score.
    I like it.

Too gimicky. Not enough like real football.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Too gimicky. Not enough like real football.
    Arm Wrestle for it?

Oh wait. Also not like real football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Arm Wrestle for it?

Oh wait. Also not like real football.

I say they just stop with the coin toss. Just flip the coin and whoever wins the coin toss wins the game. After all, if you deserved to win you would have done so in regulation, right?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I heard a rumor. I heard that they instituted a rule that in OT, the winning team is the first to score 6 points. Can anyone confirm?

+ Reply to Thread