+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Dat say Dey own "Who Dat"?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Thumbs Down Who Dat say Dey own "Who Dat"?

I'm a big NFL fan, but NFL management really sucks sometimes.

On Monday, in a Florida court, the NFL filed to register the phrase "Who Dat" as an NFL trademark, and they sent cease and desist orders to every vendor in New Orleans selling non-NFL merchandise with the phrase on it.

Hopefully the judge is smart enough to tell them to shove it.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...e_ages_no.html

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Who Dat say Dey own "Who Dat"?

There should be a class action suit on behalf of the fans.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Big Dog Red's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the roughRed's Better is a jewel in the rough Red's Better's Avatar

What a load of crap. The NFL is getting a little too arrogant. You dont want to piss off the people who pay your salaries.

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

"Who Dat" is older than the Saints in New Orleans. It's too common a phrase and represents too many other things to really be attributed to just the Saints. Vendors could really fight this one. The phrase was trademarked by the guy that wrote the original song for it in 1983, and then the Saints re-trademarked it again in 2006. Nonetheless, you could probably challenge this one and have a good shot at winning.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ktulu7 View Post
    "Who Dat" is older than the Saints in New Orleans. It's too common a phrase and represents too many other things to really be attributed to just the Saints. Vendors could really fight this one. The phrase was trademarked by the guy that wrote the original song for it in 1983, and then the Saints re-trademarked it again in 2006. Nonetheless, you could probably challenge this one and have a good shot at winning.
    Yeh, this is gayer than Trump's "you're fired" and Hilton's "that's hot". Hell, the NFL or any of its associates didnt even come up with the saying. This one shouldnt belong to anyone, IMO.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

It is so common in the Cajun language, that the people can win this one. The problem is for all those stores in New Orleans trying to sell merchandise this week.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I'm not a lawyer, but I have a question for those of you who are......

The NFL just filed for this trademark on Monday, but it hasn't been granted yet. So, if I were a vendor in New Orleans selling "Who Dat" merchandise, would I have to follow a cease and desist order, or could I just keep selling the stuff until the judge rules?

Champ BLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to allBLUE collar is a name known to all

F**k the MAN (read F**k the NFL)

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

It's not that there are shirts that say "Who 'Dat?".
    It's not that there are shirts with a fleur de lis on them.

It's the combination of the two that, unmistakeably, advertise the Saints. That is the issue.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    It's not that there are shirts that say "Who 'Dat?".
    It's not that there are shirts with a fleur de lis on them.

It's the combination of the two that, unmistakeably, advertise the Saints. That is the issue.
    Well, "Who Dat" is a common saying that goes WAYYYY back before the Saints were born. The "Fleur de lis" has been a common symbol for New Orleans for years. I don't see where combining them is any problem at all.

I might be shut down, but I would continue to sale, if I were a merchant. The money made before they caught me would be worth it - plus, I think I would be vindicated of changes after the court case.

I hope my T-Shirt doesn't get held up. I ordered a really cool one early this week - should be here today. It is white natural fiber (grunge looking) with the gold Fleur de Lis" on it and Who Dat about the symbol. On the back, it is personalized.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean 2 minutes after I posted the above, the UPS guy drove up and handed me the shirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was amazing and a little strange..............

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well, "Who Dat" is a common saying that goes WAYYYY back before the Saints were born. The "Fleur de lis" has been a common symbol for New Orleans for years. I don't see where combining them is any problem at all.

I might be shut down, but I would continue to sale, if I were a merchant. The money made before they caught me would be worth it - plus, I think I would be vindicated of changes after the court case.

I hope my T-Shirt doesn't get held up. I ordered a really cool one early this week - should be here today. It is white natural fiber (grunge looking) with the gold Fleur de Lis" on it and Who Dat about the symbol. On the back, it is personalized.
    Here is an explaination by the NFL and a Loyola Law professor:
    According to NFL spokesman Dan Masonson, “Any unauthorized use of the Saints colors and other [marks] designed to create the illusion of an affiliation with the Saints is equally a violation of the Saints trademark rights because it allows a third party to ‘free ride’ by profiting from confusion of the team’s fans, who want to show support for the Saints.”
    -
    Loyola Law School intellectual property professor Ray Arieaux said the ownership of ‘Who Dat’ may be a gray area.
    -
    “Is there some unfair trade taking place because maybe the public does associate that with the Saints? The question is what does the public associate with ‘Who Dat,’” Arieaux asked.
    http://blogofneworleans.com/blog/201...sroots-fandom/

I am certainly not defending the NFL, but they might have a strong case.

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Here is an explaination by the NFL and a Loyola Law professor:
    http://blogofneworleans.com/blog/201...sroots-fandom/

I am certainly not defending the NFL, but they might have a strong case.
    I got my shirt, so I don't care anymore. No, seriously, I think this will be fought and won by the merchants still. Anyway, the problem is THIS WEEK - a huge week for sales for these merchants. N.O. needs the money and this is just wrong of the NFL. They don't need the money and could have waited until after the Superbowl to do this.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

This just in: The NFL has served cease and desist orders on all pirates - Somali pirates, Pirates of the Caribbean (Disney and Johnny Depp were included), Pirates of Penzance and the Pittsburg Pirates citing their ownership of all things pirate and buccaneer like. Tampa Bay's symbol is a pirate, the NFL claims ownership of the Jolly Roger, Skulls and Crossbones, the phrases Me Hearties, Yo Ho Ho and Arrrrggghhhh.

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

This just in: The NFL is claiming all rights to outer space since the Cowboy's logo is a star. Occupants of the Space Station have been asked to cease operations within NFL owned property.

+ Reply to Thread