+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFL Combine snubs Dennis Morris

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Re: NFL Combine snubs Dennis Morris

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Great points about Bradshaw. But was that situation really that much different than today?

I think what made Bradshaw the Number 1 pick was his freakish physical numbers. Height, Weight, Speed and incredible arm strength.

Remember, the best qb in the NFL in 1970 was probably Fran Tarkenton at 5'10" and 170 pounds.

Bradshaw was the prototype that has stood for 40 years now. 6'3" 225 lbs, 4.6 40 and he possessed one of the strongest arms in the history of the league.

If Eastern Wyoming comes out with a 6'7" 285 lb qb that runs a 4.5 and can throw it the length of the football field he will be in the discussion for the number one pick; 40 years ago that is basically what they were looking at in Terry. Remember he was bigger than the HOF Middle Linebacker on his own team.

Bradshaw was probably a risk at the No. 1 pick, just as they all are. Al Davis was all over JaMarcus Russell because of his freakish physical skills and that guy has been horrible thusfar. But Terry was pretty bad early on too. I suspect he is grateful that the Rooney's were a little more patient than today's organizations, and fans, are. Otherwise, he would have never had a single Superbowl ring, much less 4.
    Keep in mind Joe Flacco was the 2nd QB taken in 2008 at 6'6 240 pounds an a 4.8 40. Matt Ryan has decent size at 6'4 224 pounds and a 5.07 40 but he was still considered (with very little question) as the best QB in that draft class.

I doubt Bradshaw would be the #1 pick today but I am willing to bet he'd still be a 1st round pick.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Keep in mind Joe Flacco was the 2nd QB taken in 2008 at 6'6 240 pounds an a 4.8 40. Matt Ryan has decent size at 6'4 224 pounds and a 5.07 40 but he was still considered (with very little question) as the best QB in that draft class.

I doubt Bradshaw would be the #1 pick today but I am willing to bet he'd still be a 1st round pick.

Jamarcus Russell went number 1.....strictly on size and potential

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post

He may very well not be the first player drafted; now he would be an average size qb.

My point was if his measurables were as far off the charts today (for example 6'7" 285 4.5 forty) as they were then, he likely would go first again. The NFL draft is probably even more driven by pure athleticism today than it was 40 years ago.

I am still amazed that TB was basically 25 years ahead of his time when it came to his athleticism. Elway was a freak 13 years after Bradshaw with the same measurables. Farve was still considered a huge quarterback, at basically the same size as Bradshaw and he was drafted 20 years later.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    [/b]

Jamarcus Russell went number 1.....strictly on size and potential
    One has increased and the other not.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

I still can not believe he didn't get an invite to combine. Wonder if the timing of the coaching change hurt us any in this regard? He had a phenomenal year this year and at least some tape for 3 years to watch, crazy.

Puppy TinCup is an unknown

Sounds like the NFL guys are really undecided about where to play Morris. I think D-Mo ends up being an H-Back type player like Frank Wychek or Chris Cooley. Nevertheless, the scouts know who he is as they have been coming out to see Boo Smith and Baker over the last couple of years. Dennis will have his chance on the Pro Day at Tech when they (all the sr draft prospects and some selected/requested jrs) lift and run for the scouts.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i don't know if morris will get drafted. he's going to have to prove to the scouts that he can block first. he's not going to get drafted as a wide receiver.

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

I guess just not enough tight end spots around because he is a hell of a player. As a Saints fan I wouldn't mind having him if he could pull down a few more catches like the one over K. Willson ,who is looking like atleast a 2nd round pick or so.

He will atleast get a chance to work out with some teams if he doesn't get drafted..for how bad our passing game was last year he was amazing to watch when we could get him the ball.

Varsity Bulldog cherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nicecherokeedawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by kw2292 View Post
    I guess just not enough tight end spots around because he is a hell of a player. As a Saints fan I wouldn't mind having him if he could pull down a few more catches like the one over K. Willson ,who is looking like atleast a 2nd round pick or so.

He will atleast get a chance to work out with some teams if he doesn't get drafted..for how bad our passing game was last year he was amazing to watch when we could get him the ball.
    Imagine just how much worse our passing game would've been without DMo last year. Man, it's scary to think how bad our passing game would be NEXT YEAR with no DMo and DD still at the helm trying to play big, dumb football. I don't care who we had running the ball, there wouldn't be anywhere to run, because there would always be 8 in the box.

Hallalujah - we have been saved!

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i don't know if morris will get drafted. he's going to have to prove to the scouts that he can block first. he's not going to get drafted as a wide receiver.
    The first nonbiased comment in this thread.

I distinctly recall a certain former coach saying exactly the same thing. Morris doesn't want to block and even though he had a decent year a few big games doesn't automatically make you a high draft pick.

I wish him all the best, but must call it the way I saw it.

Champ nytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant futurenytetyme has a brilliant future

DMo is still under the radar beause many people haven't seen his abilities live. He's going to run the 4.6 or under and weigh in at 260 for Pro Day. The scouts are then going to drool and be in amazement with his athletic abilities.......The NFL still loves developing players and many coaches will take chances at this type of RAW ability, then try to coach that ability. Im shooting for the stars with DMo and say he gets drafted rounds 4-5.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nytetyme View Post
    DMo is still under the radar beause many people haven't seen his abilities live. He's going to run the 4.6 or under and weigh in at 260 for Pro Day. The scouts are then going to drool and be in amazement with his athletic abilities.......The NFL still loves developing players and many coaches will take chances at this type of RAW ability, then try to coach that ability. Im shooting for the stars with DMo and say he gets drafted rounds 4-5.
    Yeah, I think it is the under-the-radar aspect that will hurt his draft prospects. He wasn't featured enough in DD's gameplan for him to build up much of a resume, and then there is the whole blocking thing. If there were more buzz I could see him definitely being drafted, possibly early. But without the buzz, it seems like he is the kind of talent a team could sit on, knowing they could get him for cheap by signing him after the draft.

But, as we've seen with Rattay, ability is not the best predictor of success in the NFL, so I have no idea what kind of career Morris will have.

+ Reply to Thread