+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

I've had to go back and start to read the "classics" again that I read so long ago as I seem to have developed memory problems since my disorder and subsequent treatments, so I can't really list any of those at this time and how they've affected me. I haven't really read too many fiction titles from later than the 1950's except from the genre of science fiction-fantasy. Of all those I've read, I'd have to say that the entire Eternal Champion series written by Michael Moorcock (yes,that's his last name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock, particularly the Elric of Melnibone novels, were the books that I read that most shaped my teen and early 20's which I guess one could say set me on the course to be in the position I find myself now. I always considered myself the loner and brooding anti-hero who never fit in anywhere, constantly under a cloud of doom. Had friends but always at arm's length. Pretty much still that way.
    Last edited by Dirtydawg; 02-16-2010 at 04:56 PM.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Just read some past posts and I see that some didn't like Grapes of Wrath. Man, that is one that I remember had a very strong influence on me. Of course, John Steinbeck has been one of my favorite authors, and who I wished to model my fiction after if I ever wrote. Poetry wise, it was Robert Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Just read some past posts and I see that some didn't like Grapes of Wrath. Man, that is one that I remember had a very strong influence on me. Of course, John Steinbeck has been one of my favorite authors, and who I wished to model my fiction after if I ever wrote. Poetry wise, it was Robert Frost.
    Meant to add that this is one of the books that started my communist ideology when I was younger.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    well-written fiction always has at least a small impact (whether it is the impact the author intended, or the exact opposite, or something completely different that my thoughts wander to in the course of reading) in the way i think about certain ideas or situations in real life.
    BRAVO......
    A truly superb post that succinctly soars beyond the hoped for reminiscent thoughts
    that this thread was intended to inspire.

Cheers to you, Bob!
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I think spinny and arkiebob are just a little confused. It is not that any work of fiction can have an impact on your life, in of itself, if it does, you need to seek help immediately and don't operate any machinary in the meantime. Rather a plot or the way a character in a novel handles a situation resonates for you because you either agree or disagree with his/her actions. Thus! an attitude/opinion/belief/whatever is reinforced by the way that character acted.

I doubt...and hope for your sake...that you don't materially alter your beliefs/actions just because you like a fictional character!

For me, it is very easy to separate fact from fiction. Perhaps some of you have trouble with that concept. I see posts on this message board (usually by our liberal friends) that indicate fact/fiction is a grey blur to them .

Fiction is, well, fiction! It is made up. The writer could have, quite easily, penned (typed) his story-line very differently. Had a totally different ending. What then? What would you say? Ooops! I've been living my life all wrong. Just learned that a work of fiction I modeled my life after was changed at the request of the publisher. Wasn't the writer's original plot! "I am so confused!" Nah, surely not.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

For the record, I thoroughly enjoy reading fiction, when I have time. Just the other day I read the manuscript of an obama speech. Great work of fiction!

Actually, I am also a published, award-winning author. It is true! Had a short story that won best of its genre (genra?....no, that aint it...). But, most good fiction is rooted in some truth. For instance, I read a novel about the life of an Armenian who survied the attempted genocide perpretrated by the Turks, during, and immediately after WWI. That created an interest that led me to investigate that part of WWI fought in the middle-east. Very interesting stuff. As is always the case, I found that the history books documenting those events were a million times better reading than the novel that spurred the interest.

Besides, truth is stranger than fiction anyway!
    Last edited by dawg80; 02-18-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: ....part of that 3%, corrected now.

Oh, one last tidbit spinny. Dawg80 roams alone a LOT! That's because there is room at the top for only one. You think it's easy being right all the time? I wouldn't know, because I am right only about 97% of the time. Which, on this board, creates a bunch of space between me and the poster currently holding the number two spot.

So, I do roam alone a lot. But, I'm used to it.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I think spinny and arkiebob are just a little confused. It is not that any work of fiction can have an impact on your life, in of itself, if it does, you need to seek help immediately and don't operate any machinary in the meantime. Rather a plot or the way a character in a novel handles a situation resonates for you because you either agree or disagree with his/her actions. Thus! an attitude/opinion/belief/whatever is reinforced by the way that character acted.

I doubt...and hope for your sake...that you don't materially alter your beliefs/actions just because you like a fictional character!

For me, it is very easy to separate fact from fiction. Perhaps some of you have trouble with that concept. I see posts on this message board (usually by our liberal friends) that indicate fact/fiction is a grey blur to them .

Fiction is, well, fiction! It is made up. The writer could have, quite easily, penned (typed) his story-line very differently. Had a totally different ending. What then? What would you say? Ooops! I've been living my life all wrong. Just learned that a work of fiction I modeled my life after was changed at the request of the publisher. Wasn't the writer's original plot! "I am so confused!" Nah, surely not.
    good writing will often make you think about things in a way that you never have before. it's that thought that alters your beliefs or actions. maybe you've already thought about every aspect of life and the universe from every possible perspective, in every possible scenario. i like to think that i think a lot, but i certainly can't make that claim.

i did probably go a little overboard with my previous post, however. there may be some novels and stories that are just good stories well-told and nothing more -- i may still consider those "good fiction" even though there is not much chance in them having much of an impact on anyone's life beyond entertainment. of course, i can't think of any examples at the moment, but that doesn't mean that such an animal doesn't exist.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    good writing will often make you think about things in a way that you never have before. it's that thought that alters your beliefs or actions. maybe you've already thought about every aspect of life and the universe from every possible perspective, in every possible scenario. i like to think that i think a lot, but i certainly can't make that claim.

i did probably go a little overboard with my previous post, however. there may be some novels and stories that are just good stories well-told and nothing more -- i may still consider those "good fiction" even though there is not much chance in them having much of an impact on anyone's life beyond entertainment. of course, i can't think of any examples at the moment, but that doesn't mean that such an animal doesn't exist.
    I also think that fiction, especially fiction that is at least plausible if not semi-autobiographical, allows us to experience lives and people we would not otherwise experience. People from different eras, different cultures, different classes. It is no substitute, of course, for really getting out in the world and experiencing cultures and people different from what you were raised in, but fiction also gives us a much broader array of diversity to experience.

There is really no valid reason to say that there is something wrong with you if a work of fiction or two has impacted your life. Now, if you build your whole belief system around works of fiction and cannot relate to the world around you, that is something else altogether. But to assert that fiction has no valid role in impacting an individual at a personal level is just a step or two withdrawn from good old fashioned fascist book burnings.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Jonathan Livingston Seagull
    Winter Dreams
    The Snows of Kilimanjaro
    The Old Man and the Sea
    The Ice Palace

short stories for a short attention span....

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I also think that fiction, especially fiction that is at least plausible if not semi-autobiographical, allows us to experience lives and people we would not otherwise experience. People from different eras, different cultures, different classes. It is no substitute, of course, for really getting out in the world and experiencing cultures and people different from what you were raised in, but fiction also gives us a much broader array of diversity to experience.

There is really no valid reason to say that there is something wrong with you if a work of fiction or two has impacted your life. Now, if you build your whole belief system around works of fiction and cannot relate to the world around you, that is something else altogether. But to assert that fiction has no valid role in impacting an individual at a personal level is just a step or two withdrawn from good old fashioned fascist book burnings.
    I was more than content......
    To watch this thread end with Bob's words of wisdom "wrapping up" the package of thoughts it was meant to "gift".

But damn, Brian......
    I have no choice but to repeat myself from post #43.
    "I CANNOT believe that your little grey cells are anything but up to any task a man needs to live through life, and beyond death."

To you and Bob......

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

+ Reply to Thread