+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

The 5 works of fiction you have read......
    That you feel have had the most profound impact on YOUR path through YOUR life to date?

And BTW......
    There's nothing magic or even remotely important about my arbitrary choice of FIVE.
    Fewer or more matters not.

Anyone care to consider my query and play?

Cheers and good night.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

I'll have to think about this one for a bit.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller and the complete works of Bill Watterson come to mind.
    Last edited by Abominable Gorilla; 02-03-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Champ LookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond reputeLookingForResults has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. I can't think of any works of fiction that have had any impact on my life.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    The 5 works of fiction you have read......
    That you feel have had the most profound impact on YOUR path through YOUR life to date?

And BTW......
    There's nothing magic or even remotely important about my arbitrary choice of FIVE.
    Fewer or more matters not.

Anyone care to consider my query and play?

Cheers and good night.

Go ahead and start it off with your five.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Atlas Shrugged
    The Fountainhead
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

To Kill a Mockingbird
    Catcher in the Rye
    A Prayer for Owen Meany
    The Great Divorce

I'm having to think too much to get to 5, so it must not have had that great of an impact.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

GATA Goddess and Ultimate Fan Winner 2011 Dawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond reputeDawgmatic has a reputation beyond repute Dawgmatic's Avatar

Gone With the Wind
    A Christmas Carol
    Lonesome Dove
    Pride and Prejudice
    Sense and Sensibility

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
    The Screwtape Letters
    East of Eden
    The Pokey Little Puppy
    The Brothers Karamazov

Maybe. I think there should probably be more "children's books" on a list that impacted my life. The Jungle Books maybe. Possibly Arabian Nights or some Jack London. I could maybe make a case for The Sun Also Rises or The Life of Pi.

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

The trilogy of the Rings
    Michael Strogoff Courier of the Csar
    anything by Lois Lamour

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Number 1 is very, very easy. Les Miserables. It had a most profound impact. Literally, it changed me permanently. I will never look at religion, convicts, or the poor the same again.

The next would be Gone With the Wind. Les Mis was first read as an adult. Gone with the Wind as a teenager. I would say that the impact that book had was that I learned the lesson that in the short term, it may pay to be disloyal to yourself, your people and your convictions, but in the long term, when you sell your soul, there is a profound price to pay.

Saving the Queen by Bill Buckley would be next. The book was found on a park bench in New Orleans and given to me. I read it while I was still working offshore. I became a Bill Buckley fan after that, and have read just about every thing that prolific writer wrote before he died. You could say it was the birth of a conservative.

Hamlet I know, it is a play. However, I've never seen it. I've just read the play a zillion times. Hamlet was a brilliant character. Only Falstaff may surpass. Brilliance without wisdom is indeed a tragedy.

I have to name one new one, "just because." The Kite Runner. I literally hated that book, but it changed completely the way I saw Afganistan.

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

ok, off the top of my head:

The Drifters

The Source

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (all 5 parts of the trilogy)

everything by O'Henry together

?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Barrack Obama's 1st and 2nd Autobiographies.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Barrack Obama's 1st and 2nd Autobiographies.

Heh, heh, heh.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

1. The Bible, King James Version.
    2. Atlas Shrugged (but I prefer her non-fiction).
    3. Animal Farm.
    4 & 5 ??
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    1. The Bible, King James Version.
    2. Atlas Shrugged (but I prefer her non-fiction).
    3. Animal Farm.
    4 & 5 ??
    Okay, you are officially on my prayer list. Can anybody let me know his real name?

+ Reply to Thread