+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Re: Would anyone care to list the FIVE......

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    1. The Bible, King James Version.
    2. Atlas Shrugged (but I prefer her non-fiction).
    3. Animal Farm.
    4 & 5 ??
    You consider the Bible a book of fiction so please explain how it is #1 on your list. Spinoza's thread starter says to list books of fiction having a profound impact on your path through life. What profound impact has the Bible (any version) made on your path through life?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    You consider the Bible a book of fiction so please explain how it is #1 on your list. Spinoza's thread starter says to list books of fiction having a profound impact on your path through life. What profound impact has the Bible (any version) made on your path through life?

1. It was the work that got me started on my philosophical journey, and, at one time, was something I believed in.
    2. It has had a profound indirect impact on me through family and other people, business, government, entertainment, culture, etc.
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Champ Aussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the roughAussierules1985 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Perhaps he meant KJV b/c it wasn't translated well enough.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Guys can we please not go down this path again. There are plenty of other threads where Guiss can defend his position.

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

I was gonna list the bible but I just cleaned my fan and didn't want it soiled again. I know what will start crap on this board and what won't.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Guys can we please not go down this path again. There are plenty of other threads where Guiss can defend his position.
    To whom it may concern......
    As the author of this thread, I have absolutelty NO objection to this thread meandering through ANY stream of thought that may serve as a tributary for any tempting river of thought(s).

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gimpcoach View Post
    I was gonna list the bible but I just cleaned my fan and didn't want it soiled again. I know what will start crap on this board and what won't.
    Any man may relax before a clean fan on a hot day and enjoy its cooling breeze......
    And any man may relax before a fire a cold day and enjoy its warmth......
    But no man is capable of either enjoyment for long if he does not CRAP.

Sorry......
    But I drink to excess each evening, and I could not resist the temptation to play with your post. :icon_wink:

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

1. The Bible, King James Version.
    2. Atlas Shrugged (but I prefer her non-fiction).
    3. Animal Farm.
    4 & 5 ??
    Interesting. It is one thing to not believe the spiritual propositions put forth in the Bible, but to reject it out of hand as fiction suggests that you haven't really critically evaluated its historicity. It is actually one of the most reliable ancient texts in existence with regard to its historical documentation. Of course, only certain parts were written as history, so it is easy to build up a straw man argument and launch attacks by taking biblical texts out of their context. When it is taken at face value and based solely on its own assertions about itself, as opposed to being held up to arbitrary external standards, it is a pretty profound treatise, even if you don't buy it lock, stock, and barrel.

And it is bar none the most faithfully transmitted ancient manuscript. It seems like that alone should merit giving it some attention.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Interesting. It is one thing to not believe the spiritual propositions put forth in the Bible, but to reject it out of hand as fiction suggests that you haven't really critically evaluated its historicity. It is actually one of the most reliable ancient texts in existence with regard to its historical documentation. Of course, only certain parts were written as history, so it is easy to build up a straw man argument and launch attacks by taking biblical texts out of their context. When it is taken at face value and based solely on its own assertions about itself, as opposed to being held up to arbitrary external standards, it is a pretty profound treatise, even if you don't buy it lock, stock, and barrel.

And it is bar none the most faithfully transmitted ancient manuscript. It seems like that alone should merit giving it some attention.
    it should also be noted that "non-fiction" does not necessarily mean "true." so even if you don't believe that the bible is true, you still shouldn't call it fiction unless you believe that it was written as fiction.

i'd also like to add that anyone who could not have predicted guisslapp's selections has not spent enough time on the paw-litics board.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

No Pilgrem's Progress? Only outsold by the Bible.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post

How do you evaluate the historicity of a person that lived for 900+ years, the parting of seas, an ark that holds 2 of every creature, the act of making a person from a rib of another person, tower of babel, resurrection of dead people?
    Jordan Mills on choosing Tech:
    “It’s a great experience seeing them play. It was a good atmosphere. The fans stood up the whole game and never sat down. They have a great fan base.”

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Any man may relax before a clean fan on a hot day and enjoy its cooling breeze......
    And any man may relax before a fire a cold day and enjoy its warmth......
    But no man is capable of either enjoyment for long if he does not CRAP.

Sorry......
    But I drink to excess each evening, and I could not resist the temptation to play with your post. :icon_wink:

Cheers.
    can't deny that! Cleaning feces off the fan is not a favored activity, though sometimes i can't resist. I just try, but don't always succeed, to avoid rattling the cages of the religious far right, who like to take over threads to save the souls of all us strays who believe differently. We must remember that there is no room in a free society for anyone who believes differently.:icon_wink: I'm working a karate tournament all day so I better go crap now. If interested in the tournament, that's 2/6/10 at Memorial Gym at Louisiana Tech, all day, USKA Regional Tournament. If you compete, I'll gladly register you. . .if you want to watch, we'll let you in for a reasonable admission charge. Come on out.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

When I was a youngster in the '50s I read all of the Rick Brant science adventure stories.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Brant

will have to think about the next 4.......

"All roads lead to Putin" -- Thomas Jefferson

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

How do you evaluate the historicity of a person that lived for 900+ years, the parting of seas, an ark that holds 2 of every creature, the act of making a person from a rib of another person, tower of babel, resurrection of dead people?
    Good question. Of course, there are a lot of claims that have been made through the years by all sorts of folks for all sorts of reasons that seemed implausible. Like any other report, I believe it makes most sense to evaluate the source. If the things you CAN verify hold up to scrutiny, then it seems worth considering the plausibility--no matter how outlandish--of the claims that cannot be verified. That is how I, after categorically rejecting the Bible, Christianity, etc., eventually came to accept the Bible as a reliable document. A big step for me was in divorcing what American Christians say the Bible says from what is actually written in the Bible.

As for your examples, they certainly don't make sense when viewed through a modern worldview. That may mean that these events couldn't have happened, or it could just mean that modern worldviews are decidedly more narrow and less open than we like to think they are. When viewed through the assumptions of the Bible, they are all plausible, and were all recorded to teach a specific lesson about how the God who is revealed in the Bible wants us to view him. They certainly weren't recorded to be encyclopedic references to common occurrences. In fact, it was their uncommon nature that merited their inclusion in a record of supernatural interventions into the natural world.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I don't think you can refer to the bible as an individual book in this context.. It wasn't written that way.

+ Reply to Thread