+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 league = 2 bid league?

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Re: Top 10 league = 2 bid league?

I have always felt that one unofficial tie-breaker was star power. In other words, if a bubble team has one or more future NBA players on the roster, they get a little bump up from the bubble.

I know that this is considered in all of the other post-season tournaments.

I hope that the presence of Magnum, and with Kyle being one of the top scorers in the country, we get the benefit of the doubt if its close.

Puppy USU-Aggie is an unknown

I may be biased, but I think Utah State is really the only at-large team in the conference right now. That also hinges on them beating SJSU in San Jose tonight which as Tech discovered isn't exactly a small feat. Other than that I think the rest of their games should be double digit wins. (no offense, I know one of the games is against LT) The Spectrum is just such a hard place to win and including San Jose they only have 2 road games left, one of which is at Hawaii. If USU wins their season out, wins a game or two in the WAC tourney I can't see any way the selection committee can snub them this year with a double-digit win over BYU and being 9-1 in their last 10 games.

That being said, I think that's the only way the WAC gets two bids. I'd love to see it happen, but I'd prefer to just see USU win the tourney.

Also do you guys think it's unfair that the tourney is played in Reno?

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

We just don't have that "quality" win on our schedule..would have been nice to beat New Mexico or Arizona.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by USU-Aggie View Post
    Also do you guys think it's unfair that the tourney is played in Reno?
    Yes, but I am more surprised it isn't played in Boise so Uncle Karl could get his Broncos in some how. Home cooking anyone?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Yes, but I am more surprised it isn't played in Boise so Uncle Karl could get his Broncos in some how. Home cooking anyone?
    I take it you are not on Mr. Benson's Christmas card list?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I take it you are not on Mr. Benson's Christmas card list?
    Nope.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Ole Karl is first class nob...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    thats good. im sick of seeing half the teams from the major conferences getting in, even teams with .500 league records are always pumped up by espn analysts.
    I think they should make a rule, mens and womens, that if you don't finish better than .500 in your conference you shouldn't go ... period. It still boggles the mind that the SEC was putting 8-9 teams a year in the womens tournament for a few years there.

Does anyone know if a team who finished outside the Top 4 of their conference has won a national championship? I know LSU made the Final Four as an 11 seed in 1986 having finished 9-9 in conference. They apparently started 14-0 that season and supposedly illness helped result in their losing 8 of their last 13. (I don't know this, I am reading a media guide off the internet)

Champ Goose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to beholdGoose is a splendid one to behold Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USU-Aggie View Post
    I may be biased, but I think Utah State is really the only at-large team in the conference right now.
    I think you're right on the money.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

The WAC could be helped by winning alot of Bracket Buster games Saturday. I like our chances of doing well.
    Louisiana Tech at Northeastern, 1:00 p.m. ET
    Television: ESPN2
    ^Nevada at Missouri State, 2:00 p.m. CT
    ^Long Beach State at Idaho, 5:30 p.m. PT
    ^San Jose State at Montana State, 7:00 p.m. MT
    ^UC Davis at Boise State, 7:00 p.m. MT
    ^New Mexico State at Pacific, 7:00 p.m. PT
    Television: ESPNU
    ^UC Santa Barbara at Fresno State, 7:30 p.m. PT
    ^Wichita State at Utah State, 10:00 p.m. MT
    ^Cal Poly at Hawai‘i, 8:30 p.m.

It looks like we have two loses for sure: Hawaii and Boise most likely will lose. The other games I think we have a good chance to win. Tech, Nevada, and NMSU wins would really look good. Should be an interesting Sat for basketball.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Does anyone know if a team who finished outside the Top 4 of their conference has won a national championship? I know LSU made the Final Four as an 11 seed in 1986 having finished 9-9 in conference. They apparently started 14-0 that season and supposedly illness helped result in their losing 8 of their last 13. (I don't know this, I am reading a media guide off the internet)
    This probably happened about 3 times in the 1980's. NC State was a #6 seed in 1983 when Jim Valvano and the Wolfpack won the NCAA Tournament title, and Villanova was a #8 seed when they won the title in 1985. To this day, Villanova still remains the lowest seed to ever win the NCAA tournament. Also, the Danny Manning led Kansas team that won the title in 1988 was a #6 seed.

I'm not sure how you can find out how these teams finished in their conference races during those years....but it's a pretty good bet that none finished in the Top 3. The year Villanova won the title two other Big East teams (Georgetown and St John's) also made the FINAL FOUR.

From the Big East that year, Georgetown & St John's were both #1 seeds, Notre Dame and Syracuse were both #7 seeds, Villanova was an 8 seed (which probably means they finished 5th in the Big East), Boston College was an 11 seed, and Pittsburg was a 12. Pittsburg lost to LA Tech in the first round.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 02-21-2010 at 01:45 AM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Pittsburg lost to LA Tech in the first round.

Slight correction: Pittsburgh got steamrolled by Tech!

Dawgs went on a 42-10 run over about a 12 min segment and it was all-she-wrote!

+ Reply to Thread