+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The forrest for the trees......

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Re: The forrest for the trees......

Quote Originally Posted by gimpcoach View Post
    The ONLY difference between a liberal and a conservative is that a liberal recognizes the conservative's right to exist.
    Unless their mother chooses otherwise.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The ONLY difference between a liberal and a conservative is that a liberal recognizes the conservative's right to exist.
    Bullchit!

Libs hate conservatives. Oh, but they recognize that they themselves NEED conservatives to keep the world operating and to allow them the freedom to stand around at a cocktail party trying to convince others, and themselves, that they really matter.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I like you GC, but this is just silly.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

it's a quote, not my original statement. can't remember who said it but I find it very true. I didn't expect the right side to understand what it says. The hatred expressed by the right side has always made me sick. When I was growing up, the Dems were the right side and woe be unto him who even spoke the word Republican. After Kennedy and Johnson, everybody down here suddenly became a Rep because they were now conservative. The hatred stayed, the name just changed. the same guy who screwed us in the 50's and 60's are still there, they just changed parties and with modern technology are able to spew their venom to a wider audience. I think the main difference between the two sides is that the Liberals want to do everything for everybody and the Conservatives don't want to do anything for anybody . . . and both sides are totally WRONG. I registered Dem when I reached voting age so I could vote since the Rep annointed their candidates (when they had one) and usually the election was decided in the Dem primary. When the open primary law was passed, I immediately dropped all party affiliation and registered as an independent (no party). I am a true moderate as I have said before. I tend to lean toward the Dem side because they will at least listen to another point of view and I cannot tolerate the "fer us or agin us" metality of the other side. The correct way to do things is never in the extremes. This thread has turned into just another bullshit political pissing contest. I ignore the political board because it is just a sounding board for the extreme right. I thought this board was where you just bad-mouthed lsuseless and northeast people. WHAT HAPPENED TO GOOD OLD, OLD-FASHIONED FLAMING? all you political opperatives go back to the politics board and abuse each other all you want. Leave this board for abuse of tiggerrs and warthogs.

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

You can be conservative or liberal on separate issues. I am conservative on government, liberal on freedom.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

From the other thread: libs are the pigs in Animal Farm. 'nuff said.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

I may be an idiot to some......
    And I may me dumb as a rock in the opinion of some very worthy dawgs......
    And despite the fact that I remain a self-proclaimed LIBERAL......
    Whatever I am......
    I do try to remain true to both my direct and implied word!

I have now waited patiently for Dawg80 to give (or not give) this thread the benefit of his properly spelled wisdom regarding the instant topic...... And he has since opted to do so with his posts 10, 17 and 21.

Therefore......
    I shall now proceed with a few thoughts of my own.
    They may not be as perspicacious as Dawg80's best to date.
    They may not be spelled correctly.
    They may not offer "bullchit' when it is bullshit that is actually intended.
    But I shall do my best to string together a few thoughts that may stir the little grey cells of others to consider and examine the manner in which the terms CONSERVATIVE and LIBERAL are routinely used and abused in this forum......
    And throughout the often all too gullable land between our shining seas.

But not tonight!
    My beer chest of good cold beer no longer runneth over.

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Before any democrat or republican party existed......
    And long before any democrat or republican politician first lied to one of his fellow citizens to garner a vote......
    Men who espoused a conservative philosophy lived quite comfortably within the sincere confines of THEIR preferred way of life......
    And men who preferred to explore what (if anything) might be possible beyond the sincere confines of their neighbors horizons, also lived quite comfortably with less confinement, but as contently, while pursuing the various unmarked paths of their liberal philosophy.

Being an honest conservative, or an honest liberal......
    Has absolutely nothing to do with the three-card monte hocus-pocus of either the recent republican party, or the recent democrat party.
    And the FACT that so many conservatives and liberals have been duped into becoming crusaders for either collection of political lies......
    Merely proves the old adage that "you can fool most of the people some of the time".

What passes every day in contemporary America......
    (Be it on the dawg politics board......
    On CNN, FOX, MSNBC, or any other 4th estate program or print......
    In diners and taverns, and in churches and universities......
    And damn near everywhere else......)
    As conservative v. liberal values and thought......
    Has become tied at the hip to a political con job that has been perpetrated by the greatest collection of hucksters since Ripley.

SO......
    If a true conservative cannot be measured by any republican party rubber stamp......
    And a true liberal cannot be measured by any democrat definition......
    How may an honest man begin sorting true conservatives from true liberals?

to be continued......

Cheers.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...... But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

CONSERVATIVES......
    Are not extremely complicated folk...... By choice!

Conservatives are status quo adherents who routinely reflect the beliefs and attidudes of their conservative parents/ancestors, and the accepted/practiced folkways and mores of their immediate society.

Conservatives evince a substantial degree of respect for accepted traditions and established institutions.

Conservatives are inherently inclined to cautiously resist change......
    Unless it is seemingly moderate, and does not overtly challenge their core beliefs.

Conservatives are not categorically dumb. Their ranks include as prestigious a collection of well educated individuals and recognized intellectuals as their often otherwise stereotyped liberal cousins.

Conservatives are not evil. They express their goodness as sincerely as liberals. The difference is often the method, not the resulting satisfaction.

Conservatives are by and large decent individuals who are generally comfortable with their various views and habits, and understandably proud of their way of life.

Obviously......
    The brief missive above does not fully delineate every aspect of conservativism.
    But I offer it as a starting point in what I sincerely hope may become a reasoned discussion on an all too often FLAMING topic.

As always......
    I shall eagerly await any constuctive dawg dialogue.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

When next I touch 2 fingers to my keyboard......
    LIBERALS!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Spinoza; 02-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    Now that you have EXPOSED me for the MORAN that I am......

Would you care to share your wisdom with all who may view this thread, and explain what it actually means to be a conservative......And to be a liberal?

I'll not presume for others......
    But I know I would truly enjoy reading any such correctly spelled effort.

Cheers.
    I'll bite for a definition of liberal, conservative and moron. The classic definition deals with change. A conservative prefers keeping things the same while a liberal is up for changing things. In my experience, however, it also deals with the way each views society. A conservative views society in the form of individuals acting together where as a liberal views society as a group entity. Healthcare is an excellent example. Conservative extremist would view this as something individuals could decide to handle on their own, where liberal extremist would have us all decide together how healthcare would be handled for everyone.

A moron? Those are people who stand in a very long line in front of me and only START deciding what they want off the menu when it is their turn to place an order.

If a true conservative cannot be measured by any republican party rubber stamp......
    And a true liberal cannot be measured by any democrat definition......
    How may an honest man begin sorting true conservatives from true liberals?
    to be continued......
    Cheers.
    Part of the difficulty in measuring "liberal" or "conservative" labels is that each person values different things. While the former president "little george" was socially conservative, he was definitely not fiscally conservative. There is a broad spectrum between the two definitions.

I guess I'd start by asking, why an honest man would even endeavor to start sorting? It's an interesting topic though.

CONSERVATIVES......
    Are not extremely complicated folk

True conservatives are
    True conservatives
    True conservatives are
    True conservatives are not
    True conservatives are not
    Cheers.
    The more defined you make the terms, the fewer people you'll be able to place in each category.

Varsity Bulldog gimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her gamegimpcoach is on top of his/her game gimpcoach's Avatar

There was a question in the last thread by AG about the definition of "moron". I decided, in the interest of accuracy, to look it up (I know, see (4) below). The Urban Dictionary provided a multitude of definitions . . . I selected the top 10 and sanitized a couple for the more sensitive readers. Definitions are usually followed by a sentence using moron in italics.:icon_wink:

MORON:

(1)another word for George W Bush. Someone who lacks one shred of intellectual curiosity. Someone who uses the word 'misunderestimated'
    Bush took first place at the world moron championships this year.

(2) n. A person whose IQ lies between 45 and 59. Slightly stupider than a retard (60-69) but still smarter than an idiot (below 45).
    Bush is a moron.

(3) i don't have a definition, i just thought it was funny that the second definition uses the word "stupider" to describe someone who is a moron.
    did that moron just f*ckin' say, "stupider?"

(4) Someone who looks up the word "moron" in a dictionary.
    If you don't know what moron means, god help you! Dumbass!

(5)This refers to 90% of the population and there inability to make logical and common sense decisions.
    The only way to deal with this is to treat everybody as a moron till proven otherwise.
    How? Explain things to them like you would a child and hope they dont make a mistake

If you require an example you are probably part of the problem

(6)Intelligence Quotient Scale:
    Moron = 50-69
    Imbecile = 30-49
    Idiot = 29 & below

If you are calling someone a moron, you are actually saying the person is not an imbecile, since they are smarter than than that.

(7)An insult for one is who COMPLETELY STUPID. Or, a frickin' idiot.
    You will die a bloody death, falling into the feiry pit of doom and darkness!...Moron!

(8)Person of small intelligence, slow of mind. Like the moron who posted a definition of "alot" and said it was a real word! Ever see a definition that is completely accurate with lots of thumbs up, but for no good reason has a couple of thumbs down? Yep, a moron dunit.
    Moron: Alot, w00t and pwned are reel wurds do0d, i u$3 dEm all da t1Me!!1
    Non-moron: Thats because you are a moron.

(9)Moron was originally a scientific term, coined by psychologist Henry Goddard from a Greek word meaning "foolish" and used to describe a person with a genetically determined mental age between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale. It was also once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70 and was a step up from "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and two steps up from "idiot" (IQ of 0-25). The word moron, along with "retarded" and "feeble-minded" (among others), was once considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, though these words have all now passed into common slang use, exclusively in a detrimental context.
    That person is a moron!

(10) someone who sticks their d*ck in the tailpipe of a car
    that moron stuck his d*ck in a car tailpipe

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

There was a question in the last thread by AG about the definition of "moron". I decided, in the interest of accuracy, to look it up (I know, see (4) below). The Urban Dictionary provided a multitude of definitions . . . I selected the top 10 and sanitized a couple for the more sensitive readers. Definitions are usually followed by a sentence using moron in italics.:icon_wink:

MORON:

(1)another word for George W Bush. Someone who lacks one shred of intellectual curiosity. Someone who uses the word 'misunderestimated'
    Bush took first place at the world moron championships this year.

(2) n. A person whose IQ lies between 45 and 59. Slightly stupider than a retard (60-69) but still smarter than an idiot (below 45).
    Bush is a moron.

(3) i don't have a definition, i just thought it was funny that the second definition uses the word "stupider" to describe someone who is a moron.
    did that moron just f*ckin' say, "stupider?"

(4) Someone who looks up the word "moron" in a dictionary.
    If you don't know what moron means, god help you! Dumbass!

(5)This refers to 90% of the population and there inability to make logical and common sense decisions.
    The only way to deal with this is to treat everybody as a moron till proven otherwise.
    How? Explain things to them like you would a child and hope they dont make a mistake
    If you require an example you are probably part of the problem

(6)Intelligence Quotient Scale:
    Moron = 50-69
    Imbecile = 30-49
    Idiot = 29 & below
    If you are calling someone a moron, you are actually saying the person is not an imbecile, since they are smarter than than that.

(7)An insult for one is who COMPLETELY STUPID. Or, a frickin' idiot.
    You will die a bloody death, falling into the feiry pit of doom and darkness!...Moron!

(8)Person of small intelligence, slow of mind. Like the moron who posted a definition of "alot" and said it was a real word! Ever see a definition that is completely accurate with lots of thumbs up, but for no good reason has a couple of thumbs down? Yep, a moron dunit.
    Moron: Alot, w00t and pwned are reel wurds do0d, i u$3 dEm all da t1Me!!1
    Non-moron: Thats because you are a moron.

(9)Moron was originally a scientific term, coined by psychologist Henry Goddard from a Greek word meaning "foolish" and used to describe a person with a genetically determined mental age between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale. It was also once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70 and was a step up from "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and two steps up from "idiot" (IQ of 0-25). The word moron, along with "retarded" and "feeble-minded" (among others), was once considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, though these words have all now passed into common slang use, exclusively in a detrimental context.
    That person is a moron!

(10) someone who sticks their d*ck in the tailpipe of a car
    that moron stuck his d*ck in a car tailpipe
    That was a total waste of time and space.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    That was a total waste of time and space.
    I'm retired . . . I have plenty of time . . . I'v seen posts that wasted a whole lot more space . . . lighten up . . . it was a little humor.:bigcry:

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

by AG: A moron? Those are people who stand in a very long line in front of me and only START deciding what they want off the menu when it is their turn to place an order.
    Heh, heh, heh. Good one.

Champ hoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond reputehoppinmad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm retired . . . I have plenty of time . . . I'v seen posts that wasted a whole lot more space . . . lighten up . . . it was a little humor.:bigcry:

Yep, parts of it were pretty good.

+ Reply to Thread