+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas in the big 10?

Champ odysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the roughodysseus is a jewel in the rough

Texas in the big 10?

Apparently they're talking about it...

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/fe...-texas/?sports

"A source with ties to the Big Ten said that while most people’s attention has been trained on the conference stealing Missouri, the Big Ten has engaged in “preliminary exchanges” with a much bigger fish from the Big 12.

“There have been preliminary exchanges between the Big Ten and Texas,” the source told the Journal-World on Wednesday. “People will deny that, but it’s accurate.”..."

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Texas in the big 10?

I'll believe that when I see it. What does the Big 10 offer Texas that the Big XII doesn't? Better TV deal? Would the conferences have to swap names?

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

This is pathetic to even entertain the thought.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I've read random rumors of a wholesale raid on the Big XII North that would end up putting the Big 10 at 14 or 16, but this is the first I've read about Texas leaving. The rumors seem to just get weirder and weirder.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I believe this story has some legs to it. Big Ten would love this with a big time program like Texas joining the ranks. Remember conference expansion is more than just Football...Texas brings basketball and baseball prestige as well. I can see Big Ten seriously courting Texas.

This would make the Big Ten a powerhouse conference, and remember conference want to better themselves as they compete with other conferences such as Pac 10 and SEC which would probably be the Big Three with this move.

This move kinda makes sense for Texas as well...Ohio State, Michigan are big name programs which fans would LOVE, and you could still have your Oklahoma every year for a rivalry game in Dallas.

Would demolish the Big 12 though

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Nah.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Nah.
    exactly. this is pure lunacy.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    What does the Big 10 offer Texas that the Big XII doesn't? Better TV deal?
    $.

It's all about money. I don't know that I trust all the numbers (or the reasoning) but I've recently read a Big 10 blog about this where he shows the difference in conference money between the Big 12 and 10. I'm still skeptical, but he does make some good points.

His best line was "think like a school president and not like a fan."

The bit about 1+11 = 13 is good, too. It's what everyone always forgets about the Pac-10 or MWC expanding.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/20...ade-of-orange/

Obvious problems are that he discounts basketball, dismisses travel out-of-hand (and while we realize more than any other school in the country that a bigger conference paycheck can trump slightly bigger travel budgets, it does hurt - especially spring sports), and in his updates he's relying a lot on message board and blog feedback (violating his own rule a little).

I don't see it happening, but the money part made me think. And I really wonder about all these bloggers and message board posters who are so sure they know exactly what role academics will play in all this.

I remain, as always, a conference shake-up skeptic.
    Last edited by inudesu; 02-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.

The texas legislature and gov office would squash that. totally nuts.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBack View Post
    The texas legislature and gov office would squash that. totally nuts.
    This guy's theory is that A&M, Baylor, and TT are "safe" in a BCS conference, so it isn't like they are being left out in the cold like they would have if they hadn't been included in the Big 12.

They could still play A&M every year.
    Last edited by inudesu; 02-18-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Varsity Bulldog Cactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really niceCactus Rob is just really nice Cactus Rob's Avatar

The boys in Texas with money don't care anything about playing Penn State or Michigan State, etc... they would want to play the other schools that they have seen play their entire lives and are probably alumni of.
    Besides, when the tide turns and Texas football isn't the "hot" ticket anymore... then where will the longhorns be? stuck playing in a conference that is not fit for them geographically....
    Hummmmm.... that sounds like I have heard that one somewhere else before. The deal is that they can prevent it and therefore, they will/would.

Champ DawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the roughDawgFight71 is a jewel in the rough

I think we have a better chance of getting invited to the Big 10 than Texas joining. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I would have to see this to believe it.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Why would Texas jump from an established conference with regional rivals? I hear Florida is moving to the PAC 10.

Texas would not want to give up playing big12 rivals to go play Minnesota and Purdue....

Maybe if you doubled the money......

Don't forget that these other Big12 schools have power in the state legislature. They wouldn't want Texas to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    Why would Texas jump from an established conference with regional rivals? I hear Florida is moving to the PAC 10.
    Money. It's about the money.

I'm not saying they'd go. I don't think they'd go.

But the argument is money.

Supposedly UT was willing to leave all the other Texas schools behind when the SWC broke up (supposedly looked at Pac-10 and Big 10 at that time). They could still play OU and A&M every year.

It's all about the money. Some would argue that academics could play a part (this I doubt, but it'd be part of the pitch).

If you offered to double conference revenue and they could be associated with "better" academic schools, the idea is that UT would at least have to think about it.

+ Reply to Thread